BodyBugg/BodyMedia vs. Fitbit HELP!

Options
So, I took the plunge a few months ago and bought a Fitbit. I have to say, I was disappointed. Not in the performance of the Fitbit, but in what it actually was.
When I bought it, I was sort of under the impression that it was like a BodyBugg or a BodyMedia type device. It counted calories burned dependent on exertion, and all that jazz. When it got here, I was a little disappointed to find it was just a pedometer on crack. But I gave it a fair shot anyway.
I didn't realize that driving would have such an effect on it. I commute 40mins each way when I drive to work. This is problematic for me, since I have to remember to take account for that movement before and after I drive. I find it impracticle.

I am considering selling my FitBit and buying something like a BodyBugg or a BodyMedia, but I don't really know much about either except that I have to buy my subscription to the site. I can deal with that.

Can anyone fill in the gaps for me? I didn't do my research last time, and ended up with something I didn't want, so this time I am trying to do some research to make sure that if I get one, I am getting what I want!

Replies

• lenartn
    lenartn Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing.
  • mz_asher
    mz_asher Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg which was great tool before I got pregnant. What I didn't like about it was that I had to wear 24/7 to be accurate. Now that I have a baby I don't like to wear and don't want to for subscription when I use mfp. I'm actually in the process of potenily getting a fitbit. Since I don't like wearing the body bugg I bought a heart rate monitor instead to use for my workouts. Hope that helps. Do you have a particular questions that you want to know?
  • StormyGal8
    StormyGal8 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have the bodybugg which was great tool before I got pregnant. What I didn't like about it was that I had to wear 24/7 to be accurate. Now that I have a baby I don't like to wear and don't want to for subscription when I use mfp. I'm actually in the process of potenily getting a fitbit. Since I don't like wearing the body bugg I bought a heart rate monitor instead to use for my workouts. Hope that helps. Do you have a particular questions that you want to know?

LOL wanna swap??

I just wondered if it was messed up by driving etc!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I would highly recommend the BoyMedia Fit.

Only suggest taking it off in the car, because it will record driving as moderate activity.
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    I've owned both. The fitbit is just as accurate in my opinion. Like I said I've used both and the daily burn was really similar between the two. I love my Fitbit WAY more and its much more motivating to me, and cheaper. The Bodybugg was so obnoxious I returned it.
  • StormyGal8
    Options

Only suggest taking it off in the car, because it will record driving as moderate activity.

See, to me this is an easy solution. Take it off, and it stops recording your information (I am assuming anyway). FitBit doesn't have that option. I have tried EVERYTHING to stop it from inputting data while I drive, but sadly had no luck. My driving can offset my actual steps by 3000 or more steps, and I have been congratulated for making 50 floor climbed...except there are no stairs at my home or my work! Driving long distances messes up the FitBit!
  • Barbellerella
    Options

See, to me this is an easy solution. Take it off, and it stops recording your information (I am assuming anyway). FitBit doesn't have that option. I have tried EVERYTHING to stop it from inputting data while I drive, but sadly had no luck. My driving can offset my actual steps by 3000 or more steps, and I have been congratulated for making 50 floor climbed...except there are no stairs at my home or my work! Driving long distances messes up the FitBit!

See I don't have that problem.. I have the FitBit Ultra, and a Jeep Wrangler which is obviously bouncy. I have never had a problem with it adding steps while im in the car..
  • StormyGal8
    Options

See I don't have that problem.. I have the FitBit Ultra, and a Jeep Wrangler which is obviously bouncy. I have never had a problem with it adding steps while im in the car..

Are you sure? It's a well noted issue with a lot of FitBit users. I also have the Ultra, and I happen to own a Jeep as well (a Compass), I drive a LOT of highway, and a little bit of dirt road...on a good day I get about 1500 steps added on, on a bad day, in excess of 3000 steps. The FitBit board is full of people with the same complaint. If you lived in a city and didn't spend a lot of time on the road, the amount of steps added would likely be negligible, but on a long commute, it makes a fairly significant difference.
  • sgreen328
    Options
    I have the body media fit and I love it. I only take mine off long enough to shower and to check it during the day. I have never had it measure my car rides as steps. In fact I have been considering an upgrade to the ultra so that I don't have to take it off to see my progress throughout the day.
  • StormyGal8
    Options
    Also, does anyone have any input on the GoWearFit in this mix?

Just trying to find a solution that will better suit my needs than the FitBit does. Lower cost is always nice, lol.
  • Barbellerella
    Options

Are you sure? It's a well noted issue with a lot of FitBit users. I also have the Ultra, and I happen to own a Jeep as well (a Compass), I drive a LOT of highway, and a little bit of dirt road...on a good day I get about 1500 steps added on, on a bad day, in excess of 3000 steps. The FitBit board is full of people with the same complaint. If you lived in a city and didn't spend a lot of time on the road, the amount of steps added would likely be negligible, but on a long commute, it makes a fairly significant difference.
    Nope! i have a commander and a Wrangler. I drive CONSTANTLY all over town. i look at it before I leave and when I get out of the car, no change. For realsy.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options

I dont have that problem with the fitbit zip.
  • sgreen328
    Options
    Also, does anyone have any input on the GoWearFit in this mix?

Just trying to find a solution that will better suit my needs than the FitBit does. Lower cost is always nice, lol.
    The Go Wear Fit is the same as the Body Media Fit. You can often find these used or at a serious discount because they are the old style, but they are still compatible with BMF's website. Another thing to consider between Body Bugg and Body Media is the monthly cost difference and Body Media makes the Body Bugg.
  • AdrianGordon
    AdrianGordon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're driving, but I drive a Jeep Wrangler, a Honda CVCC and a Nissan Frontier pickup truck, all over some pretty bad road, and it doesn't impact my Fitbit at all. The thing continues to count calories as if I'm sitting still. I can go miles over back country roads that are like washboards without adding a single step to the Fitbit step count. Driving the lawn tractor is a different story. It adds steps as if it were running at basically the rate that the engine turns, but not with the cars or the truck.
  • AdrianGordon
    AdrianGordon Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. I have checked my fitbit countless times at the start of a drive in my Jeep Wrangler over bad roads and good and the worst I've ever seen is three or four steps over a fifteen or twenty mile drive. My bet even on that is that the difference is a function of my moving in the seat or using the clutch.
  • athryn
    athryn Posts: 59
    Options
    I've had a Fitbit One since January, and never have had it record much of anything when I've been driving, and I do a lot of varied driving, as I go to trailheads and stuff for hiking.
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options

ditto on the wrangler and fitbit...ocassionally ill get a few steps, but i drive pretty agressive in a lifted jeep with 35" mud tires and it doesnt throw it off by much...my scooter on the other hand, makes the fitbit go nuts lol

jeep wave!
  • longtimeterp
    longtimeterp Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. I have checked my fitbit countless times at the start of a drive in my Jeep Wrangler over bad roads and good and the worst I've ever seen is three or four steps over a fifteen or twenty mile drive. My bet even on that is that the difference is a function of my moving in the seat or using the clutch.

love it, another wrangler owner with a fitbit...jeep wave!
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options

I have the bodymedia fit and a fitbit zip. Neither one give me steps in the car.
  • kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I did a little test with my FItbit One & my POlar F4 HRM today while running on the treadmill. I was amazed that the fitbit was as acurate as it was. There was little difference between calories burned on either device, less than 20 calorie difference. ALso I've never had any issue while driving but I live less than 10k from work so don't do a lot of driving myself.