Opinions on The Fifty Shades of Grey?

Options
I got halfway through the book, and I just could not read any more of it. It was one of the most terrible books I've ever read. The author had dreadfully poor writing skills, and she would just use the same phrases (ie: my inner goddess) over and over to the point that the whole story was just repetitive. She even forgot to include part of the BDSM contract in the book!

It's a shame that anything to do with sex will always sell. You could have horrible writing skills like E. L. James and make thousands of dollars off of something like this.

Replies

• amez1974
    amez1974 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    http://jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com/p/jen-reads-50-shades-of-grey.html?zx=4498bf06b099c7c1

The above blog is the best review ever! I read the books and I agree they were terribly written an imo pretty boring. The blogger who reviewed the first one is much more fun to read!
  • stacked
    stacked Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I got halfway through the book, and I just could not read any more of it. It was one of the most terrible books I've ever read. The author had dreadfully poor writing skills, and she would just use the same phrases (ie: my inner goddess) over and over to the point that the whole story was just repetitive. She even forgot to include part of the BDSM contract in the book!

It's a shame that anything to do with sex will always sell. You could have horrible writing skills like E. L. James and make thousands of dollars off of something like this.

I felt the same way
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    http://jenniferarmintrout.blogspot.com/p/jen-reads-50-shades-of-grey.html?zx=4498bf06b099c7c1

The above blog is the best review ever! I read the books and I agree they were terribly written an imo pretty boring. The blogger who reviewed the first one is much more fun to read!

You are amazing. This is hilarious.
  • zahea
    zahea Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    it gets better i promise, its the best best book i have ever read, everyone thinks all it is is about sex sex sex, it has its own amazing story of christian finding out who he truely is. i recomend it, you wont regret it i promise <3
  • Brianna72994
    Options
    I refuse to read it, but my mom is reading the whole series! I think she is on the third one now.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hated it. Full fledge hated it.

I was like you... got halfway through the book, complained about that to some coworkers, and I forced myself to finish reading it.

Never once was I happy about that book.

It is now in some recycled bin, courtesy of Waste Management. Ugh......

But I guess it's like many other things... you either love it or hate it.
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    it gets better i promise, its the best best book i have ever read, everyone thinks all it is is about sex sex sex, it has its own amazing story of christian finding out who he truely is. i recomend it, you wont regret it i promise <3

Do I have to see the word inner goddess sixty-nine more times before I find out who Christian really is?
  • JenCM
    JenCM Posts: 195
    Options
    Bad. Laughably bad writing, all the way through. Every book. Yes, I said every book. I saw how bad the first was and I KEPT reading....lol. I kept thinking it HAD to get better, as popular as these books were. But IMO, it doesn't. It's insanely repetitive and to me, written in a more juvenile way than Twilight.
  • AntShanny
    AntShanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I said I would never read these after reading a bunch of reviews...my friend lent them to me, I started the first one and skimmed through it and will not read the other 2. They are complete and utter drivel. I feel sad for the women who say it is one of the best books/series they've ever read...apparently they don't read much.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options

Do I have to see the word inner goddess sixty-nine more times before I find out who Christian really is?

No.

only 2467 more times.

Plus reading "oh my" another 2141854 times.
  • zombilishious
    zombilishious Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    internet.fan.fiction. Look closer, all the characters are fashioned after Twilight. I couldn't get past that.

If BDSM is what you want to really read about pick up Ann Rice's Sleeping Beauty trilogy. That's well written. And dark.

Had to edit. Found a typo!
  • cms721
    cms721 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have never even read one page, but I like the book because it helps me get some!!
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I didn't even get half way through, I suppose I expected too much when buying a 'sex' novel. Silly me, thinking an editor would have been hired before publishing, lol.
    I found it all very juvenile and forced, but hey, to each their own.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options

OMG You MUST ask SuperCork about 50 Shades of Grey. Imma link her up here now! She has a review on goodreads!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options

No.

only 2467 more times.

How about muttered? Or, tenacious Kate? And, what about the prescribed food list? The author forgot to include that in the book.
  • sweetpeaz12345
    sweetpeaz12345 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The first 100 pages of the first book were rubbish but it starts to get better. The sex scenes in the first book were alright but the second and third got really repetitive... I found myself skipping over the parts a bit to get back to the story line. I rad the first 2 books in a week and its taken me over a month and a half to read the third book...

Id still recommend it though. Good story line.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

I'm impressed that you got halfway through...I barely made it through 5 paragraphs. LOL.
    There's a review on goodreads.com (complete with .gifs) that is freakin' hysterical.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options

OMG You MUST as SuperCork about 50 Shades of Grey. Imma link her up here now!

Yes!
  • EndlessSacrifice
    Options
    The first 100 pages of the first book were rubbish but it starts to get better. The sex scenes in the first book were alright but the second and third got really repetitive... I found myself skipping over the parts a bit to get back to the story line. I rad the first 2 books in a week and its taken me over a month and a half to read the third book...

Id still recommend it though. Good story line.

I don't think the book has any story line at all to be honest. Ana meets Christian, and they have sex every other paragraph. The end.
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    Options

No.

only 2467 more times.

How about muttered? Or, tenacious Kate? And, what about the prescribed food list? The author forgot to include that in the book.

LOL!!!

and I swear to puppies, if I see "Laters baby" on a stupid shirt, or something else.... I'm gonna scream.

I'd rather see YOLO