Beck Diet Solution, anyone?

Options
I have gone through the Beck Diet Solution workbook, and it really helped me overcome some of my food issues. I was wondering if anyone would like to go through the book with me. It has 42 days of exercises.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Fast_Track
    Fast_Track Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    This is an excellent book. I bought the audio book a about 3 weeks ago and I'm down a few lbs since I started 'thinking like a thin person.'

For those of you who don't know The Beck Diet Solution, you can read all about it here: http://www.amazon.com/Beck-Diet-Solution-Train-Person/dp/0848732758

It's not a diet -- though you do use it alongside whatever diet plan you choose (counting calories, WW, etc). It has completely shifted the way I think about food through cognitive therapy. She helps shift the way you think about food, hunger, exercise and all the sabotaging thoughts that have always proven to be the death of my progress.

It's about $14 for the audible book on Kindle and while it doesn't come with the cds or the workbook, I think it's incredibly useful. There is no doubt in my mind that its going to help me shed these final 15 lbs.
  • maggiewithfins
    maggiewithfins Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I've just started a thread on this, I'm also using this book. I have before but am coming back to it and starting from day one.
    Add me as a friend if you like!
  • elisabeisme
    elisabeisme Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    Hi all -

Is anyone actively using The Beck Diet Solution book right now? I'm about a week into the program, which uses a cognitive behavioral therapy approach to addressing the reasons for overeating. There is a Beck group on MFP but the discussion boards aren't very active.

Is anyone else out there currently working the program?
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    Hi. I've just started it. I've read through to day 11. I've found a pin board app which I've used to create my cards so its with me on my ipad all the time. So far I think it's really good. What do you think?
  • Chatterbox57
    Options
    I started reading this book and found writing notes and keeping the paper beside you very boring. But jaz050465, you have a brilliant idea about the tablet stickers so I'm off to try again.

Can I join in please, although I would be back to page 1.

Cheers, good luck everyone.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    It's an ipad app called My Sticky if. If you do a search for 'post it notes' you'll find Loads of similar apps.
  • elisabeisme
    Options
    ooooh, i'm going to look for that app for my iPad. I have an app called "Mythoughts+" which I originally programmed with my advantages items. It is one of those apps that shows you inspirational quotes and allows you to program your own inspirations. However, it's not a good app because it only let you have one set of custom sayings. I wanted something that would be more customizable.
  • elisabeisme
    Options
    By the way, the group is here:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/2019-beck-diet-solution-challenge

As I said. it 's not very active but there are some forum discussion comments from previous Beck users about the various daily challenges.
  • g2geowol
    g2geowol Posts: 8
    Options
    I'm sooo in. A nutritionist recommended this book for me as it addresses emotional eating issues & how to handle thru CBT.

I would absolutely love to be in this journey with others that are trying the Beck solution. I'm on day 8 right now..."making time".

As for post-it's, I've been using the 'notes' app. I have them on my iPhone and iPad and I find it helpful, though I will check into a post-it app.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I also use the app 'count log' to track the times I resist and the times I give in. Today my resistances were:

Coffee in cafe but no cake
    Didnt have any cake at end of term meeting
    Ate half of my break time banana and threw the rest away as I realised I wasn't hungry.
  • carbfreekate
    Options
    I have just started the beck diet solution and am on day 5 so am probably at around the same stage as everyone else - I would love to join in as i am struggling to find a diet coach.

I am also using the notes function on my smartphone for my response cards which I've found really useful. I have downloaded the "my diet coach" app and programmed it to send me a reminder twice a day to read my advantages card, I've also put inspirational photos in it of me when I was slimmer and you can also get it to send you other inspiring weight loss suggestions.

I've also made a response card with a list of all the steps to review every morning as I don't want to forget them, which is quite easy on day 5 but I imagine it will get harder.

I really like the count log idea.

Kate

14lbs to lose.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Thanks. I'll look at my diet code. Made me laugh when the book talks about PDAs and audiotape- it's like a history book.
  • jaz050465
    Options
    Just looked. There are two apps called my diet coach. Who makes your one.
  • valchemist
    valchemist Posts: 28
    Options
    Just wanted to chime in that I have made it through the Beck book and loved it. I first read it a few years ago and fell off the wagon after a few kids came along. recently (a couple months ago) I re-did the whole book and I continue to use what I have learned as I am approaching maintenance. I do love that she has lots of good info for maintenance and for using the principles for llife. I highly recommend this book!! maybe I will join that group -- even though I am done with all the "days," I am not done with Beck because you use the principles to keep steady the rest of your life. They are so sensible and not hard at all.
  • valchemist
    Options
    just added myself to the Beck group and posted an introduction... anyone else joining??
  • jaz050465
    Options
    I'm off to the land of pasta, ice cream and tiramasou tomorrow.
    I'm really hoping I'm only going to put on maximum off two pounds. I'd love it if people would mind messaging me to keep me on track.
  • slenderyeppie
    slenderyeppie Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be traveling extensively this upcoming week and next to! Between brunch chats, Fourth of July meals and drinks with the girls, I'm hoping to stay on track too. And more relying on the skills I've learned instead of counting every bit of kcal! :)
  • valchemist
    Options
    you might want to read ahead to day 30 in the Beck book!! page 214 in the pink book. it will help.

make a PLAN ahead of time. if you don't go in with a plan, you are sunk! and if you go off track a little on one day, remember it is not an excuse to continue to stay off track. Day 20 (page 166) is another great day to look ahead to if you aren't there already.

you can do it!
  • lsende1
    lsende1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am starting the Beck Diet Solution Workbook TODAY, July 1st. I am going to need some support, and I am good to give it, also.

I use myfitnesspal to plan my meals before hand and try to avoid unplanned eating. It works when I stick to it.
  • Tykk
    Tykk Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I just started this as well - day 3 now. How has it been working out for those of you who have been doing it a while? Does the approach hold up over time?