Lost 8 and Quit

Options
I was doing great. I was eating under my caloric limit everyday. I was exercising 3-4 times a week. I was just all around doing awesome. I lost EIGHT pounds, EIGHT that's it. I stepped on that scale and saw that eight gone and did an entire 360. I hardly ever log my meals because I know I'm eating over my limit. I haven't exercised in almost two weeks. I just don't know what to do. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

Replies

• foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I was doing great. I was eating under my caloric limit everyday. I was exercising 3-4 times a week. I was just all around doing awesome. I lost EIGHT pounds, EIGHT that's it. I stepped on that scale and saw that eight gone and did an entire 360. I hardly ever log my meals because I know I'm eating over my limit. I haven't exercised in almost two weeks. I just don't know what to do. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

You lost eight in what amount of time?
  • laurenmcallister
    laurenmcallister Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have been trying to lose at a slow rate because I'm terrified of sagging skin, so although I've hit plateaus and been impatient many, many times, I would be thrilled at an eight pound loss!! Over how long of a period was this? Even over 6 weeks, that's pretty solid.

My advice is while you're trying to get back on track, LOG EVERYTHING. Even if you don't intend to stay at a goal, logging everything truly helps you stay somewhat focused, and lets you analyze your patterns when you do get back on track.
  • Four_Leaf_Clover
    Four_Leaf_Clover Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I wish I could even get to 8 lbs lost - and I have been doing this since August!

What do you think caused you to stop? Did you feel scared? Deprived? Were you overdoing it? How long did it take?

Forgot to add - I have definitely slipped back into my old ways at times because my progress has been SO PAINFULLY SLOW. But everytime I actually see a loss it reinvigorates me to keep doing what I am doing.

I think it is normal to take a few steps forward and backwards - esp if there are emotional issues surrounding your eating/weight (certainly are for me).

Are you ready to get back to it? I agree with a PP - start with the log - get it all down no matter what it is - come back to it!
  • indigo_rose
    Options
    I've lost 16 pounds in 8 weeks and I have my days where I feel like saying screw it. it's hard coz I see my weight go up and down most days. As soon as I see an up it's depressing.! Your not the only one who feels this way! But u can get thru this!
  • ellaraenae1
    ellaraenae1 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Ugh -- you sound just like me -- have lost 11 pounds and under stress from work/life and just ate my way to heaven for the past three days -- afraid to even get on the scale --

From one "trying to lose weight" to another --

Get up tomorrow and begin a new -- you can do it -- one foot at a time -- you can do it --

Can't wait to hear how well you are doing --
  • ReverseEngineered
    Options
    8 lbs is quite a lot. By default, MFP sets your target calories for 1lb loss per week, though you can go up to 2 lbs. How long were you dieting that you were discouraged by only losing 8 lbs?

I recommend a quick look at the book "The Hacker's Diet". Your weight varies considerably: sometimes it drops a lot at once, other times it lingers. Don't focus on any one measurement; instead, track the average over time and the rate of descent. There's even a free website that does the work for you; just enter your weight each day and watch the trend. Also, be sure to measure at the same time every day to minimize the fluctuations throughout the day. You can easily gain and lose a few pounds throughout a day in water alone.

If you know you aren't following your diet, then stop cheating. There's no sense in throwing up your arms and saying, "What do I do?" if you are knowingly not following your diet. If you want it to happen, make it happen. Follow your diet and you *will* lose weight. It took a long time to gain that weight; it's going to take a while to lose it.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

I use to have this exact same problem. I would start to see results and for some reason, stop. Every time. Drove me insane, yet didn't change anything! For some reason this time around I'm sticking completely with it and doing well! Just use this site to its utmost ability because it does keep encouragement up!
  • committowalk
    committowalk Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Weight loss can be super slow. If you are someone who gets discouraged every time your weight fluctuates up, maybe try to weigh yourself less. Once a week, or even once a month. The important thing is to realize WHY you want to lose weight. Are you trying to be healthier, more active, more fit? Or are you just trying to get to some arbitrary number? The scale can't tell you everything that is going on with your body. I have been working HARD since the beginning of August and I am only down 10 lbs. Yes, I have days where I am over (even extremely over) my calorie goal, but overall I average to under my calorie goal. I also work out 5-6 days a week. When I am frustrated by a week or two where the scale won't budge or even goes UP by 2 lbs, I focus on milestones such as being able to walk farther or faster up the hill, or add another level of resistance on the elliptical. It's important to remember that you are trying to create a healthy lifestyle, not just lose weight. Sometimes the scale is your enemy.

If you have fallen off the wagon, then start slow. Start by logging everything. Then maybe add a walk. Maybe then start to make some substitutions in your diet. Little changes can add up over time. Please be patient with yourself! This is hard but it will be worth it. Add some more friends (I'd love to be your cheerleader!) and try again.
  • kariinbliss
    Options
    Feeling your pain. I've lost and regained the SAME 3 pounds over and over since August. Nothing is working, and I'm about ready to throw in the towel. That said... don't give up. Be persistent, and think of all the reasons you are working on improving your health. You stay positive, and I will as well. You can do it!
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Scale doesn't matter...in the last 2 months I've lost 4 lbs....but my bf% has gone from 16.5 to 14.6. If I had only been going by the scale I would've been mad, but changes come sometimes without weight going down
  • bsmnr0
    bsmnr0 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna put it to you straight.

Well done on losing 8, but in the scheme of things if you quit now you will never be succesful.

Quit now and forever live in question of "what if", you're weak minded and pathetic if you give up now.

Dig deep and finish something off for once in your life.
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That happened to me as well. Going from 228 to 220 happened rather quickly in my case. But, one day I saw the scale and I was back to 228. It was frustrating. But, I begun to pay more attention to my eating habits and realized there was room for improvement. I also added more cardio to my weekly physical activities. I think that being patient is really important, that is, just continue on your path and improve as much as you can and just wait on your body to respond. I am glad I continued, I am at 195 lbs after 4 months and lost sizes and inches. Do not give up!
  • raejay621
    Options
    I lost those 8 pounds in 5 weeks. Thanks you guys are truly the best.
  • raejay621
    Options
    Feeling your pain. I've lost and regained the SAME 3 pounds over and over since August. Nothing is working, and I'm about ready to throw in the towel. That said... don't give up. Be persistent, and think of all the reasons you are working on improving your health. You stay positive, and I will as well. You can do it!

Thanks, we can do this!
  • raejay621
    Options

I use to have this exact same problem. I would start to see results and for some reason, stop. Every time. Drove me insane, yet didn't change anything! For some reason this time around I'm sticking completely with it and doing well! Just use this site to its utmost ability because it does keep encouragement up!

How are you staying focused? What's changed from all of the other times you tried this?
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    Yup! I lost 30 and then quit logging for awhile. Mostly because I transitioned to clean eating and just COULDN'T figure out how to log those calories.

I've just recently started trying to be strict.

Anyway, you can get back on track. Just decide to do it!!!
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

How are you staying focused? What's changed from all of the other times you tried this?

I guess I just kept forcing myself to go, and eventually it became habit. My friend and I started the C25K plan, so we rely on each other and keep each other honest. Since then, I just figured why not head to the gym on some off days and it's been going solid 6 days a week since then, 5 weeks ago
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I lost those 8 pounds in 5 weeks. Thanks you guys are truly the best.

If you lost 8 pounds every 5 weeks you could lose over 80 pounds in a year. Not too shabby, eh?
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    I would have quit too, if it were not for this site and these forums. Every time I think this is just too hard and it's not worth it I go to the success story threads, and they remind me that yes, this IS worth it, yes, I DO want this.

Sometimes it's easy to forget how much you want it, when it seems so hard to accomplish, but those threads remind me that although it is hard it is NOT impossible.
  • hope8311
    hope8311 Posts: 166
    Options
    YOur lucky I have only lost 2 lbs since october but quit several times, however I logged everything I ate...Its scary...

I just finally realized that this is a slow journey and rather be healthy and fit in my old clothes then eat and be more miserable..

When you lose weight your happy and excited for a min...

Then when your weight fluctates or gain weight your miserable

When you quit your miserable

When you gain weight your miserable

Why not be miserable while losing weight?