Kickboxing, talk to me about your experiences

Options
So tonight I have signed up for a 60 minute kickboxing class. This will be my first ever class. Can anyone tell me their experiences with it? Love it? Hate it?

Is there any first-time advice you want to share?

Anything would be great! I am looking to change up my routine from running and weight-lifting, though I still have about 20 pounds to lose to be healthy. I would love to hear your stories!

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Love it! It burns more calories than anything else I do.

Wear good comfortable shoes, drink plenty of water, bring a towel, etc.
  • Alovepoet
    Options
    It's addicting, really! A great way to get in shape. It's tons of fun and a really great work out. Water is a must - You'll need it!
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I take an MMA class three times a week. It is awesome. And a stellar workout. I highly recommend it to everyone!!!
  • boy03727
    boy03727 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    You will feel it the next day! Expect some major sore muscles, but kickboxing is fun. It will give you a total full body workout.
  • lizo11
    lizo11 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the water advice! (Some how I didn't think of that.)
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    I am a krav maga addict from 3 years now :) I love it and we also have some kick techniques.
    Also eat a snack one hour before. Usually for me is one medium banana. It keeps me going.

And of course go for it and have fun!
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    real kick boxing or cardio kick boxing?

american or thai?
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Kickboxing is typically fun. I did kickboxing at a gym where they trained to fight in martial arts, we had a ring to spar in, and did jump rope and all kinds of hard advanced stuff that is probably more serious than a "kickboxing class", but from what I have seen the classes could be fun too. Totally fun. You will probably love it.
  • MMAQueen
    MMAQueen Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    what kind of kickboxing? a cardio kickboxing class? a traditonal muay thai class? is it at a fight gym? or a regular fitness gym?

It could be awesome, it could be really lame. I personally love muay thai, and boxing. But i see a lot gyms having their "kickboxing" classes and it makes me shudder. The technique is so bad, if you actually hit someone you'd probably hurt yourself more then the other person lol.

make sure you have qualified instructors!

if it is proper kickboxing / muay thai, make sure you get good gloves, and hand wraps, and learn to wrap your hands/wrists properly. You can save yourself a lot of potential hand and wrist injuries with proper wrapping.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Love it!! It is a wonderful workout and stress reliever! Watch and listen to the instructor! Keep saying the moves/counting in your head if your instructor does not. DON'T worry about what other people are doing. Do your best, have a good time. Like many things, some moves/combos may take a little practice. Just keep moving. And YES, have fun. Did I mention that I LOVE it?
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    is it like a cardio class or an actual kick boxing class? I do Krav Maga 2 to 4 times a week and I love it, has made me faster and stronger
  • PlumCrazyGirl
    PlumCrazyGirl Posts: 1,463 Member
    Options
    Loved it for stress reliever and fitness.
    Unfortunately due to budgetary reasons, I had to stop the classes.

It ended up being cheaper to purchase a bag on stand than 2 months of classes. I had vowed to do the bag more often... Need to find the motivation -- like I had in class.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    It depends on the instructor, but I do Les Mills Combat which is an MMA high intensity cardio class and love it. Really fun. (And especially helpful when you have something you're crabby about -- great way release the energy.)
  • ereilly311
    ereilly311 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just started taking it this summer and I love it. Great work out and works the full body too. One thing I learned though in the beginning, focus on getting the punches down technically before you worry about strength or speed.
  • LupaNera
    LupaNera Posts: 170
    Options
    Tell us how it was? Did you have fun? :D (For me this is the most important thing)
  • cehinton
    Options
    If you have a heavy bag you can use, a great solution is the 10-workout program at kickboxingathome.com
    Only thing is, you kinda have to know what you're doing already. You can't be a complete beginner and use this program.
    (actually, you could if you have someone experienced with you)
    I designed this program myself because I was tired of "hit and miss" workouts. So I wrote everything out, spent a year making it perfect, and now make it available to others. Just go read about it and see what you think. It may not be a proper solution for you, but I am loving it! (in fact, I just did it tonight!)