Tips from a sushi addict

Options
My husband is a chef, and has access to sushi-grade tuna whenever....

We rolled sushi tonight for the first time since I started low-carb, so rice was out of the question. Instead of the Nori (which I thought might seem tough without the rice) I put my tuna, avocado, scallion and wasabi into a Bibb lettuce leaf. It was great.

I also ate a good amount of raw tuna dipped in soy and wasabi. But my dinner was super-light and SOOO yummy.

I highly recommend.

Replies

• EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I love salmon sashimi.

I wonder if I can kill parasites in it at -18c freezer,
    since i dont have access to sushi grade fish
    where do i buy it anyways:P
  • budru21
    budru21 Posts: 127
    Options
    Sounds fantastic!! I opt for sushi once a week for my cheat meal to refeed....I'm thinking I might try this for non refeed days. Thanks!!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Sounds fantastic!! I opt for sushi once a week for my cheat meal to refeed....I'm thinking I might try this for non refeed days. Thanks!!

sushi is relatively low calorie food.
  • thr33martins
    thr33martins Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Well, we get it through the restaurant, but you might be able to find a reputable Asian market, depending on where you live. We are outside of DC, so ethnic food is EVERYWHERE.
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options
    Well, we get it through the restaurant, but you might be able to find a reputable Asian market, depending on where you live. We are outside of DC, so ethnic food is EVERYWHERE.

H Mart?
  • thr33martins
    Options

Absolutely, but if you are low-carb or carb-cycling, the rice sends you out of Keto, so the rice is a no-no...

In general, it is one of the best things you can eat.
  • thr33martins
    Options

H Mart?

YES! Where do you live??
  • marvelscale
    Options
    mmmmmm

My dad is half-Japanese, so we have sushi nights :D
    I think my dad and I are the only ones who'll eat the raw fish though haha.
  • this just made me unreasonably hungry -_-
  • Laces_0ut
    Laces_0ut Posts: 3,750 Member
    Options

H Mart?

YES! Where do you live??

Phoenix but I am from Maryland and i really, REALLY miss H Mart. Phoenix is a fantastic city with lots to do and great weather but it is lacking in food and restaurant options.
  • thr33martins
    Options

H Mart?

YES! Where do you live??

Phoenix but I am from Maryland and i really, REALLY miss H Mart. Phoenix is a fantastic city with lots to do and great weather but it is lacking in food and restaurant options.

I live less than a mile from H Mart, in MD... just moved here from New Hampshire a few months ago, so I am enjoying the spoils of multi-culti living... :)
  • megleo818
    megleo818 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I was just wondering if substituting shredded daikon or even jicama might make an interesting substitution for rice. Yes, it would be a totally different texture and very non-traditional, but I think I might like to try it ... Just saying.
  • nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options

Absolutely, but if you are low-carb or carb-cycling, the rice sends you out of Keto, so the rice is a no-no...

In general, it is one of the best things you can eat.

ahh ic, I eat sushi regularly because I understand its quite healthy so for a second there I was like

dude-wait-what.jpg
  • kellybroadbent
    Options
    If you have a ricer or similar, another option that might be quite good as a rice substitute is steamed cauliflower. Cauliflower was a god send in my ultra low carb days (mashed cauliflower is a fantastic mashed potato sub! Add some tasty cheese and season, so delicious).
  • thr33martins
    Options
    mmmmmm

My dad is half-Japanese, so we have sushi nights :D
    I think my dad and I are the only ones who'll eat the raw fish though haha.

The first moment I tasted sushi/sashimi, at about age 23, I was hooked for life. And I am a French-Canadian *fille* from New Hampshire. Bring on the raw fish, the BBQ eel, the wasabi, and whatever else.....in my mind, the Japanese are culinary GENIUSES.
  • thr33martins
    Options
    If you have a ricer or similar, another option that might be quite good as a rice substitute is steamed cauliflower. Cauliflower was a god send in my ultra low carb days (mashed cauliflower is a fantastic mashed potato sub! Add some tasty cheese and season, so delicious).

Love it in place of potatoes, but the sushi rice has such a unique texture and flavor, I don't think you could sub it. Great thought, though.
  • marikevr
    marikevr Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just had a Pavlovian response to the word sushi. Love the stuff.