Surrounded by Office Candy....

Options
I'm new to the office life (I just started working full-time earlier this year), and therefore this is my first holiday season in the office full-time. We had our Halloween potluck last week, and I did fine for just that day - ate a few things I normally wouldn't have, but went on a long run, and felt it was an ok splurge that day. However, now there are chocolates and leftover Halloween candy at practically every desk!

I was thinking it's ok to just have a few chocolates here and there with all the free candy out, but realizing, this is only the beginning of the holiday season... If I keep this mindset I'll "only have a few extra chocolates" practically every day through the end of the year...

Any tips on how to avoid the holiday temptations around the office?

Replies

• pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Yep. Say to yourself over & over. "I don't eat that anymore" then go grab a plate full of blueberries or fruit or even another glass of water.

You are the one that has to resist it all, you can do it. Just don't even think about it. I know it's not an easy thing to do (a former choc-a-holic here) and it's so tempting to just sneak one. But you would only be hurting yourself :) Don't do it. Say yes to water, fruit or even some fresh air if you can. Ignore the candy.... it's no longer there...it no longer controls you.
  • iilea62
    Options
    I don't know about the office but I had soooooo much leftover candy from Halloween at home......can you imagine walking around that all day with no one to see you! Ugh! So, I gave it away. I realize you can't do that, but maybe you could as the people right around you to put it IN their desk as opposed to on the desk. Out of sight out of mind, right? If they ask why, just tell them the temptation is too much for you! Honesty is always the best policy!:happy:
  • Crisitunity
    Crisitunity Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Deny yourself all of them across the board. You wouldn't keep unhealthy food in your house. I'll admit to having a few unhealthy things in mine, but not out in the open. Out of sight, out of mind. If they're keeping them in your sight at work then implement that mentality for yourself that those ones hanging about in the open are never for you.

Bring in your own stash of acceptable snacks/treats and keep them in a place that's accessible to you.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    If you get a chance add all those one pieces up, they add up way to quickly. If you're allowed have a nice cool drink close by and maybe some gum or a mint. Try to not think of everyone enjoying that candy, I'm not sure about you but candy hasn't done anything good for me. I am just as happy enjoying an apple or pear as a chocolate bar and I have no guilt. You can do it, be strong you'll be happier tomorrow. Good luck..
  • Ronngie
    Ronngie Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I personally won't eat anything others bring in, because I work (with one exception) with people who I wouldn't trust their cleanliness. Even if it's wrapped it grosses me out.
    I bring all my leftovers into work, candy & food and it always gets eaten. I think in an office if it's there, people will eat it.
    Making up your mind to say no works the best. Good luck & welcome to office life! :)
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have allowed myself to have a few fun sized pieces of candy this past week. I had the calories to spend so I allowed myself a treat. The hard part was just eating one. Part of my new fitness lifestyle is balance. I allow myself to have treats every now and then. I like them and I know that I could not cut them out completely. I am still loosing the 2 lb a week, so, I must be doing something right.
  • svelt123
    svelt123 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    YES, This is what I do. I just think about my body, my health and my happiness. The desire disappears!
    Sometimes, I look at the figures of those people who are eating that junk and I don't want to look like them! I know it sounds ugly but, this works for me. If the person looks fit and trim I still will not eat it. (I want to look and feel heathy too.)
    Or I think about my family and how I want to be an example of what I often encourage.
    Bring in a bowl of fruit and place it next to or in the sight of the candy. Make a healthy choice in the presence of those junk food eaters. You may start a good habit around the office. :wink:

Good luck!
  • gramacanada
    gramacanada Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Like someone else hinted at, If it isn't on your desk it isn't yours. Teach yourself not to touch it.
    Never let anyone else put food on your desk. You'll do fine. You Choose your own food.
  • Playingwithfire89
    Options
    Okay, so this is kinda a dangerous way of taking on the problem...but i give myself one day where i basically eat all the bad stuff i've been craving for the past month (candy/cake/ice-cream/pastries) and then once i'm so full it hurts, i force myself to write two pagesy. I usually end up making little sections for each food, and writing about there taste/effect on my body. Once the rant in complete, you can cry or shower or take a walk or whatever calms you down...then you go through highlighting key words and phrases.

ex: "It was good at first, but then i felt like i was forcing myself to finish the cake.....now everything feels bloated....fat..."

KEEP the highlighted pages and read them next time your craving bad for you food.
  • pkw58
    pkw58 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    There is a reason that candy is left over - no one wanted it! That's what I tell myself, and I go on by.

Also, if I am going to splurge on a chocolate, it's going to be a really GOOOOOD one... I eat one Dark Chocolate 72% cocoa square a day occasionally, and I enjoy it.

Also, I know there will be more candy later. The candy makers aren't going out of business, and if I "have" to have candy it's really easy to come by.

Lastly, I don't ever stop at one of those fun size candy bar chocolates. It's just a slipperly slide downhill so I don't even go there.
  • Jester_of_Tortuga
    Options
    I have the same situation at my work. I just repeat in my head "the feeling of being in shape and skinnier is going to feel so much better than the feeling from the 5 seconds of eating that candy." I really let it sink in how I won't ever remember the "happiness" brought by eating that candy but if I follow through with my diet and exercise plan, the hard work and dedication will show and that will bring me much more lasting happiness.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    My way is opposite to everyone elses apparently, but when there's stuff in my office, I plan my diary out to include having one or two things. It's accounted for, but if I happen not to eat it then I just have more calories to eat at home. Then I don't have to keep saying no, I get to eat one or two of something in the day and join in with my colleagues.
  • kamalley
    Options
    Thank you all soooo much! I'm so happy so many of you responded with all your tips and encouragement =)

I had an extreeemely long day at work today (7:30am - 8:30pm), and I made sure I had plenty of my own healthy snacks, & stayed away from those tempting treats all day! Thank you to all of you MFP-ers that are so supportive!
  • melleyshelley
    melleyshelley Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I echo what everyone else said. I also suggest wearing a bracelet or a string around your wrist to remind you about your goals. I also occassionally put a NO sign right on my exit out of my cubicle. I've gone so far (even as a new employee) to put a sign writtten to myself by the offending food that says "NO MELISSA!" <
    you would be suprised at how that also helps encourage other people to acheive their goals quietly. :)
  • lenoresaari
    lenoresaari Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the above input . I too needed to read that. I dont work at the office but drop by there once or twice a week and lately have been
    searching for goodies in the lunch room. Havent found any, thank goodness. People start leaving them out around the holidays; I will remember some of what was said here.
  • RobynLB
    RobynLB Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    Pop some gum in your mouth. Can't eat candy and chew gum at the same time.
  • paijing
    paijing Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It's probably easiest to say no to candy, period, but if you're like me and you can't resist, try waiting until a certain time of the day to have a treat. Preferably towards the end of the day. Tell yourself that if you can make it until 6pm (it seems like you work late), then you can have one if you want it. It might turn out you don't want it!

I know that I have trouble resisting if I've told myself that candy is entirely off-limits, so I have to find ways to manage my intake.
  • mlopaperez
    mlopaperez Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I give all the excess candy away to people in the office. They're happy. i'm happy. :) you could also give them away to people you don't like. just kidding. :)
  • AggieFan2011
    AggieFan2011 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I feel you! Except my problem is that my roommates love to bake, literally all the time! They are all fairly thin and while I know they work out and everything just like I do, I also know that it is much easier for them to eat a couple of cookies and not put on weight than it is for me. It's really hard, but I'm getting to the point where I can just walk past it all in the kitchen and make myself a fruit smoothie or grab an apple instead. You just have to keep reminding yourself of your goals and keep your eyes on the end prize!