weightlifting and inches

Options
So how exactly does that work? I have been working out with weights, but the scale hasn't really gone down. But I have noticed several items of clothes are fitting much bigger. Pants in particular. Are your muscles re-shaping? Am I actually losing fat? What exactly is going on that you seem to be losing inches but not pounds?

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    iv actually gained 4kgs (9pounds) in the past 2 months and lost 2 inches off my stomach , muscle weighs much more than fat
  • runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    iv actually gained 4kgs (9pounds) in the past 2 months and lost 2 inches off my stomach , muscle weighs much more than fat

i don't think 'muscle weighs much more than fat'. a pound is a pound. muscle is much leaner than fat though.
  • shewearsfunnyhat
    shewearsfunnyhat Posts: 24 Member
    Options

i don't think 'muscle weighs much more than fat'. a pound is a pound. muscle is much leaner than fat though.

The same volume of muscle will weight more then fat so it is true. Fat just takes up more space in our bodies.
  • Prisme
    Prisme Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    So I am actually losing fat but gaining the muscle? Several people have said to me that I look slimmer but I didn't think 10 lbs would be that noticeable.
  • Jamie_Lauren
    Jamie_Lauren Posts: 211 Member
    Options

The same volume of muscle will weight more then fat so it is true. Fat just takes up more space in our bodies.

Hey look it's that old dead horse again, let's beat it!

Basically, you are building muscle which is burning fat. Because muscle is dense and is replacing the fat you are burning, your scale may not change that much. However, your body WILL become tighter, smaller and more toned. You will also find that you like your body a whole lot more throughout your transformation and will see many more changes than if you were just doing cardio :)
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options

Basically, you are building muscle which is burning fat. Because muscle is dense and is replacing the fat you are burning, your scale may not change that much. However, your body WILL become tighter, smaller and more toned. You will also find that you like your body a whole lot more throughout your transformation and will see many more changes than if you were just doing cardio :)

That^^^^
    That's exactly what happened to me ..scale stayed the same, hell, even went up a pound or two here and there..but went down two clothes sizes!
  • Prisme
    Options
    Well I must admit I do like the inches thing. It really helps you see changes. And I like the idea of being stronger. Friends don't understand why I would do weight lifting instead of the treadmill. Want to be able to explain the science behind it.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Want to be able to explain the science behind it.

Some people can lose fat and gain muscle simultaneously: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/adding-muscle-while-losing-fat-qa.html
  • FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Beat it beat it beat it, bruuurrrrrrrr (Michael Jackson was never easy to translate)
  • Prisme
    Options
    Thanks! Good article and explains very well about "beginners" which is me!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I would also paraphase what SteveTroutman said. Don't be concerned with weight. If you optimize performance, functionality, health and physique, weight will settle where it should. Souns like that is what you are doing.

As far as the science, you are developing you muscle structure and that creates a calories demand that is coming from your fat stores. Whether you building muscle or just developing what you already had that was dormant, your muscle structure is getting more developed and shaped better and you are getting stronger and healthier. The treadmill folks develop thier muscle conditioning, mostly in their legs, improving their cardio functioning and burning calories but they are not developing their whole body muscle structure. Very one dimensional.
  • dman38
    dman38 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    its because muscle weighs more than fat, but its good your losing inches and shaping those muscles
  • Prisme
    Options
    I know! It really is working but I had such a hard time believing my trainer that this was the way to go (weightlifting). The first 2 months I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Now I love it and have a hard time convincing people it is the way to go. When they ask what I'm doing and I tell them, I can see them roll their eyes. But I couldn't quite explain why it was working or how I was losing inches but not lots of weight.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    A pound of muscle takes up less space than a pound of fat. Hence, your weight may not change as much, but the volume your body occupies can change significantly as your body composition changes.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

:flowerforyou:
  • knrob
    knrob Posts: 65
    Options
    i too, have not seen the scale move much, and i try not to let that bother me, but i am feeling more toned, and am wearing a smaller size pant. utlimately, i would love to be more toned, regardless of my weight. i like to think i'm building muscle and improving my metabolism.
  • wildfirediva
    Options
    Stay active, eat right and stay away from the scale...

:flowerforyou:
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I know! It really is working but I had such a hard time believing my trainer that this was the way to go (weightlifting). The first 2 months I just couldn't wrap my head around it. Now I love it and have a hard time convincing people it is the way to go. When they ask what I'm doing and I tell them, I can see them roll their eyes. But I couldn't quite explain why it was working or how I was losing inches but not lots of weight.

i know! Many just don't get it. Mywife has been doing weight training with me for about 3 months and has made great progress. When she tells people they just kind of look at her funny. Many would rather get on a treadmill or an elliptical and pound away in boredom. Cardio has it's place but, if you are not training for a cardio sport, a 30 to 40 minute session a couple of times per week does the trick.

At our gym, we see people who are on cardio machines when we arrive, and are still there an hour later when we leave and appear to be making no progress physique wise. My little 5'5" 120 lb wife walks in and warms up then goes straight for the power rack and loads up her weights. She get's some funnnly looks! lol

Keep up the great work!