Advice needed for a beginner at push-ups

Options
Calling all fitness experts!

I'm starting this push-up program which is designed to get you from 100 counter top push ups to 100 knees push ups gradually towards 100 real push ups (seems like an impossible goal at this point, but one step at a time). Details here if needed: http://scoobysworkshop.com/zero-to-100-pushups-for-complete-beginners/

I am concentrating on phase 1: 5 sets of 20 counter top push ups. At the moment I can manage around 75. My issue is that my neck gets really tense and painful while I'm doing them. I don't know whether this is normal, or whether it's a sign I am pushing too hard. I want to push hard to make progress, but I obviously don't want to damage my neck. I try not to bend it forward or backward (as per Jilian Michael's instructions...)

I don't know if it's relevant but I normally do cardio on the 3 days that I do the push-ups, and then the Beginner Body Weight Fitness Circuit from nerd fitness (http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/) on the other 2 days, but without the push-ups because I don't think I should do push-ups every day, in order to rest and rebuild those muscles.

Any advice or insight appreciated! If the push-up thing seems like a super dumb idea for a total beginner, it would be good to know that too...thank you in advance.

Replies

• Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Can you do any knees-on-the-floor pushups at all? I would be inclined to try 5 sets of 2, 3, 4 whatever and build on those. Going up and down 75 - 100 times on the counter top is likely to freeze up your shoulders and neck due to the time you are spending in this position.

So - try switching to half pushups at low reps and build on those.

What are you doing for the counter exercise to this (pulling)?
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    The ability to do pushups doesnt just come from doing pushups. Its about building the right muscles any way you can and losing weight. As soon as you tip that balance and your strength to weight ratio improves then youll find it easier.

Using weights will help build those muscles. Trying pullups (or negative pullups) and doing sets of pushups any way you can. You're talking about a repetative motion but its not the mount of pushups you do its the quality of the pushups.

5 good pushups on your knees will be worth 20 countertop pushups.
  • chooriyah
    chooriyah Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated!

Yes, I can do about 30 knees push ups, 3 sets of 10, since I finished the 30 day shred. I was going to start with knees, but then discovered I can't do 100 counter push ups yet, so thought perhaps I should start with Phase I of the program. I read in New Rules of Lifting for Women that counter push ups are better than knees push ups, I think, but maybe I got that wrong.

I also wonder if I am just doing them wrong, like my body's not straight enough or something.

The only thing I'm doing for pulling is dumbbell rows (as part of the Nerd Fitness routine). I haven't got heavy enough weights (only 5lb that I used for 30DS) so as per Nerd Fitness advice I'm going to use a carry on suitcase with some books in it (: I will look into negative pull ups. I'm definitely a long way from being able to do a real pull up...
  • chooriyah
    Options
    I'll try switching to fewer, but doing them well. I'll probably go back to knees push ups as well as those certainly didn't hurt my neck.

Thanks guys!
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    from experience dont bother weith knees - you'll never get off them - they don't gove you the full range of motion . 2 better options (IMO)
    1. incline push ups start against a wall and gradually reduce the incline to flat
    or
    2. don't go down as far. do each rep slowly and lower as far as you can and still get back up.

always keeping bum down and tummy activated.
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I can't do a push up at all. Any kind. How do I even begin building the strength to do a push up ?
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    BUMP Have trouble with push-ups too
  • chooriyah
    Options

1. incline push ups start against a wall and gradually reduce the incline to flat

This is what I've been doing, using a counter-level surface to push against. I guess my incline is about 40 degrees or so. The aim of the program is to do 5 sets of 20. I guess I just have to work up to it. Have you had any issues with neck strain or tension?

SeaJenni...maybe the same incline kind of push ups? A wall or a high counter (so you have a pretty easy incline) to start off with, and then work your way lower as you get stronger?

Or like another poster said, working on building up arm strength in other ways first (don't have much to suggest here except that I've read that bicep curls are too isolating and it's better to go with dumbell rows or a more 'compound' movement)

Or maybe just trying to do the 'down-half' of a push up slowly. I call these Garfield push ups (: Basically just lowering yourself onto the floor as slowly as you can, back into push up position again (not doing a push up) and then lower yourself down again...
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hello!

Nerd Fitness has an article that explains everything about push ups: how to properly do them, how to do begginners versions, and it even has a training plan to go from complete beginner to push ups pro.

I found it very useful!

Here it is:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/

Hope it helps! :)
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options

This is what I've been doing, using a counter-level surface to push against. I guess my incline is about 40 degrees or so. The aim of the program is to do 5 sets of 20. I guess I just have to work up to it. Have you had any issues with neck strain or tension?

SeaJenni...maybe the same incline kind of push ups? A wall or a high counter (so you have a pretty easy incline) to start off with, and then work your way lower as you get stronger?

Or like another poster said, working on building up arm strength in other ways first (don't have much to suggest here except that I've read that bicep curls are too isolating and it's better to go with dumbell rows or a more 'compound' movement)

Or maybe just trying to do the 'down-half' of a push up slowly. I call these Garfield push ups (: Basically just lowering yourself onto the floor as slowly as you can, back into push up position again (not doing a push up) and then lower yourself down again...

if you are getting neck strain be very careful you are not
    1. leading with your chin
    2. dropping your head
    or
    3. arching your back as you push up.
    keep the head, neck and spine neutral and in line
    use your core muscles as well as arms to push up ( but not arching back so whole body lifts in a line).
    If you get neck pain I would suggest your form is off. try filming yourself doing reps and or doing it in front of a mirror to check you are in line! and not getting less straight as you get tired!
    good luck
  • chooriyah
    Options

if you are getting neck strain be very careful you are not
    1. leading with your chin
    2. dropping your head
    or
    3. arching your back as you push up.
    keep the head, neck and spine neutral and in line
    use your core muscles as well as arms to push up ( but not arching back so whole body lifts in a line).
    If you get neck pain I would suggest your form is off. try filming yourself doing reps and or doing it in front of a mirror to check you are in line! and not getting less straight as you get tired!
    good luck

Thank you! I'll try film myself or find someone to watch me.
  • chooriyah
    Options
    Hello!

Nerd Fitness has an article that explains everything about push ups: how to properly do them, how to do begginners versions, and it even has a training plan to go from complete beginner to push ups pro.

I found it very useful!

Here it is:

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/02/15/proper-push-up/

Hope it helps! :)

Thanks! I'll definitely check it out.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure you'll be just fine if you continue to follow your 100 pushups program. The tension you are feeling is probably because most of your body is untrained and as such is not used to holding that particular pushup position. As you continue with the program your entire body will get used to it. Sometimes you'll have to stop not because your chest and arms are tired, but because your neck (or something else) is tired. That's okay. It's the same as when teaching a person to bench, their arms and shoulders fail before their chest does. After a time, the smaller muscles get stronger and stop limiting the workout. Make sure you're keeping your neck in a neutral position and keep doing as many as you can do.