Can you lose weight running??

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I was jogging in place in between sets

Evil. I love it.. That'll burn fat like nothing else.

I think they call it Hurricane training.
  • ardisia32
    ardisia32 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Any exercise will help balance the calories you eat versus the calories you burn but you need to realise how many hours you will need to exercise to burn the fat.
    Rough rule of thumb - need to burn approx 3,600 calories to burn a pound of fat. 600 calories an hour would be a fairly average slow run. So that's six hours of jogging.

Run for health and fitness. Eat sensibly for weight loss.

^^ This.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Weight loss it's mostly about food. . If you are not losing, you are rating too much. Running it's a great burn. Too can add some strength training for balanced fitness.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I lost over 90 pounds with a mix of walking, jogging, hiking & elliptical. The key for me is calorie control regardless of exercise. Jogging is currently my favorite because it's good stress relief and I need that lately.
  • daniellegreig14
    daniellegreig14 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    fat weighs more than muscle :)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    A question: If I have logged myself as sedentary in my profile do I still need to take off the TDEE?
    Strictly speaking you should, as the calories MFP gives you is its own calculation of TDEE -500 (if your weekly weight-loss goal is 1lb, for example). But honestly it's not a huge amount.

MFP gives me 1350 calories a day for 1lb weight loss, which is 1850 for maintenance. If I run for an hour and burn 600 calories, I should take off 1850/24 = 77 calories.

But I don't as that's only a 13% variation and that's too much faff when after all there's all that lovely afterburn going on for the rest the day :flowerforyou:
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    If you are not losing, you are eating too much.

This is not always the case.
    I've seen people plateau on 1200-1300 cals/day and weight loss becomes like molasses.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Most of weight loss comes from food: eat healthy and create a calories deficit to obtain weight loss. I would say this counts around 80% of your efforts (not an accurate figure, it's just to give you an idea of how important food is).
    Running is good as a tool to help weight loss, as much as any other kind of exercise.
    Exercise should be a tool to make sure that you lose fat and not muscle, to improve your overall health (running is very good for your heart) and to create a little bit of calories buffer, so that you can still eat at a calories deficit without feeling miserable.

TL;DR: Yes, but most of the weight loss will come from eating right.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hang on - take off sedentary? I always assumed these exercise trackers / HRM.s etc tracked the additional calories burned by the exertion of the exercise rather than the total for that time period.
    Some may, but you'd have to check the manual with yours :smile:
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    A question: If I have logged myself as sedentary in my profile do I still need to take off the TDEE?

Calculate your TDEE, then subtract 20%. Put this # in MFP and set your activity to sedentary.
    Don't eat your cals back.
  • CherishQuick
    Options
    Strictly speaking you should, as the calories MFP gives you is its own calculation of TDEE -500 (if your weekly weight-loss goal is 1lb, for example). But honestly it's not a huge amount.

MFP gives me 1350 calories a day for 1lb weight loss, which is 1850 for maintenance. If I run for an hour and burn 600 calories, I should take off 1850/24 = 77 calories.

But I don't as that's only a 13% variation and that's too much faff when after all there's all that lovely afterburn going on for the rest the day :flowerforyou:
    I've been running for awhile, yet to experience any afterburn. I don't see much change but know all to well what happens if I stop!:smile:
  • pixiestick
    pixiestick Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Any exercise will help balance the calories you eat versus the calories you burn but you need to realise how many hours you will need to exercise to burn the fat.
    Rough rule of thumb - need to burn approx 3,600 calories to burn a pound of fat. 600 calories an hour would be a fairly average slow run. So that's six hours of jogging.

Run for health and fitness. Eat sensibly for weight loss.

Second this. From personal experience, I lost 50lbs running (prior to a bad ankle injury that's kept me off the trails), so I would say a resounding "YES!" to your question.
  • mareeee1234
    mareeee1234 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I have been running on the treadmill 5-6 days a week for the past 7 weeks; burning initially around 600 calories, and now I have improved and am able to run longer/faster, burning 800-1000 per session :)

The first changes I noticed was definitely on my hips too - they were (and are) slimmer, as well as my back. :)

Running has been great for me!

About 3 weeks in though, I read about the whole 'mixing it up' thing. So I decided to try do this before my body gets too used to running. So now I do the elliptical for a while (burning a certain amount of calories), then the cybex elliptical, then hop onto the treadmill for a brisk walk and run. I also occasionally run in intervals on the treadmill too - it all depends on what I am feeling at the time.

I also use the leg press at the gym for some strength training, as well as do squats basically every day! Cause I know resistance training is important in fat loss!

I have lost a couple kilos, and only want to lose 2-3 more. I think if I continue this variety as well as keeping below my average goal a bit (eating about 3/4 of exercise calories back), I will lose weight. ..Or not even weight - FAT. This is the main thing: to lose fat, not necessarily 'weight'.

Hope this helps...
    So definitely keep up the running - Its a great exercise!

Improve yourself, then give interval training a go every now and then; and then incorporate other types of cardio exercises such as the elliptical into your workouts (if you have a gym membership); and also perform strength training a few times a week, which helps burn calories, and also helps to lose fat and strengthen muscle!!

This + eating below your calories = success!

Good luck !
  • Givemewings
    Givemewings Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice. I think I need to start counting cals properly again and make sure I am exercising more regularly.I will continue to run but will try to add back some other training including weights. I can do this!!!
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    It's the only way I lost weight.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    you're probably losing fat if your waist is smaller but building muscle in your legs so you don't weigh any less

tracey-jordan-nope.gif
  • shivaslives
    shivaslives Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    A good general philosophy is that weight loss occurs in the kitchen and fitness occurs in the gym (or on the road). Weight loss is really about the consistent daily calorie deficit which can be achieved without cardiovascular exercise. That's not necessarily what I would recommend, though.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    fat weighs more than muscle :)

No, fat takes up more space by volume than muscle, a pound is a pound regardless of whether it's feathers or rocks.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Hang on - take off sedentary? I always assumed these exercise trackers / HRM.s etc tracked the additional calories burned by the exertion of the exercise rather than the total for that time period.
    Some may, but you'd have to check the manual with yours :smile:

I've never seen one yet that does. Word straight from Polar is that theirs don't and they pretty much set the standard for HRM's.
  • tmston2
    tmston2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    running is basically the only way to shed weight. its a combination of running (cardio), eating less (caloric deficiency), & some resistance training. im no expert but these things work for me. i play basketball 5-10 times a week in the summer months, and i relax the weights to 2 light work outs a week, and i always drop to abt 192lbish. in the fall and thru the winter i play abt 3-4 times a week and move to a more heavier 2 day a week full body workout (squats, deadlifts, hang cleans, push press, leg press, bench, rows,) and my weight is around 205lbish (my diet is a lot worse in the winter and i live in North Dakota, so im in doors alot in the winter) so running will def. drop the weight.