Plant Based? Whole Foods? Paleo? Input welcome!

Options
Hi all,

Just a quick intro. I am on MFP to lose a couple pounds, but mostly to hold myself accountable to my health. One of my kids has type 1 diabetes, and my husband was recently diagnosed with lymphoma. More than ever I am aware that, as a caretaker of my loved ones, I must take my own health very seriously. If I am in bad shape, they suffer. So I am hoping to find friends here who are focussed on nutrition, who can help me transition to a diet based more on whole foods (I am so busy that I rely a lot on convenience foods - I try to stick to the healthier ones, but I know it's not optimal). I would love to hear from juicers and people who follow a plant based diet or the paleo diet. I know that I can make vast improvements to my family's health if I can get a handle on more nutritious eating. I just want us all to feel as good as possible, health challenges or not.

Would welcome new friends! Thank you!

Liz :flowerforyou:

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    I am on a plant based diet,and I have been since March. That is when I started losing weight. For me, it has been fantastic. I have always loved veggies anyway, and was vegetarian for a long time. I thought I would have problems giving up cheese, but I have not. I have lost over 100 pounds since I started, and I feel better than I have in a LONG time. My doctor is very supportive of my decision, and all of my lab work is fabulous. I am very happy with my decision.
  • lizlkbg
    lizlkbg Posts: 566
    Options
    Thanks for your reply! Did you follow any program, or just find your own way?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It really doesn't matter which program you go with. It's about calories in vs out. I am paleo because my wife has a wheat intolerance. And she has lost 6 lbs this month and I am done 3 lb this month (i only have 8 more to lose). I think paleo is a lot easier to get protein on than plant based (just my opinion). And since I don't eat beans, it would be even more difficult.

Either way, you can lose on all of those plans.
  • deb3129
    Options
    i watched a couple of food documentaries, Forks Over Knives and the Engine 2 Diet, and just followed their guidelines. I do not eat any animal products or oil. And I try to eat as little processed stuff as I can, though some days I do better than others.
  • lizlkbg
    Options
    It really doesn't matter which program you go with. It's about calories in vs out. I am paleo because my wife has a wheat intolerance. And she has lost 6 lbs this month and I am done 3 lb this month (i only have 8 more to lose). I think paleo is a lot easier to get protein on than plant based (just my opinion). And since I don't eat beans, it would be even more difficult.

Thanks for the input! But my main concern is not losing, but health.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Both have their health benefits... Eating lean whole foods (lean meats, plenty of fruits and veggies) alone will make your healthy. Vegetarian or Paleo alone won't make you any more healthy. Good clean foods and exercise alone will do that.
  • dbomh933
    dbomh933 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi There!
    First, I'm so sorry to hear about all you're dealing with, but what a great attitude you have! A mom on a mission is a force to be reckoned with!

I was vegetarian for over a year and I'm about a month into being completely plant based. I only wish I had done it sooner. I have more energy, I'm sleeping better, and I feel generally healthier. I switched for some health concerns, and after a lot of research including Forks over Knives and the China Study. I do believe that eating a whole foods plant based diet is the healthiest way for me to eat. I get plenty of protein and vitamins and I generally feel better than I have in years. I've actually found it easier to eat a well balanced, nutrient rich diet since going plant based than when I was vegetarian, or meat eating. Obviously, I'm on the plant based side, but I do think that everyone has to decide for themselves how to eat. How we eat is a very personal choice. I don't follow a particular "diet" because I'm not terribly concerned with losing weight (although I am which is great). This was completely about health for me. I do try to pre-log my entire day. I think with any diet, or food lifestyle, it's about finding food that you like. I never feel like I'm avoiding or giving up anything, because I genuinely enjoy my food.

Good luck with your choices. Just remember that you have to do what's right for you and your family. Something you will enjoy, that you can maintain, and that gets you to your health goals. :)
  • dbomh933
    Options
    I am on a plant based diet,and I have been since March. That is when I started losing weight. For me, it has been fantastic. I have always loved veggies anyway, and was vegetarian for a long time. I thought I would have problems giving up cheese, but I have not. I have lost over 100 pounds since I started, and I feel better than I have in a LONG time. My doctor is very supportive of my decision, and all of my lab work is fabulous. I am very happy with my decision.

:) I agree, Cheese was really the thing that kept me from starting a plant based diet sooner. For some reason I was afraid to give it up. I was really worried about wanting to eat it and not having it, but it was super easy. I've never once craved or wanted cheese. I really love being plant based, I feel so much better and more energetic than I did before.
  • Timmi1978
    Timmi1978 Posts: 34 Member
    Options

Totally understandable, as it is quite difficult to eat healthy nowadays. I got pretty much rid of allergy symptoms through avoiding MSG, and all food additives. Check out the food packages => Exxx (E plus number usually bad).

Start using healthy oil for cooking: olive oil
    Get rid of sugar in your diet. It's a habit and once you stopped using it for 1-2 weeks you won't miss it at all.

For many people it requires too much discipline, but you might have success following a fix eating plan like http://timreviews.com/paleo-recipe or check out amazon for some books.
  • loveswalking
    loveswalking Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Check out Mark's Daily Apple.com.
    The Primal Blueprint
  • lizlkbg
    Options
    Thank you so much, everyone. Do any of you have open diaries? I would love to peek.
  • lizlkbg
    Options
    Hi There!
    First, I'm so sorry to hear about all you're dealing with, but what a great attitude you have! A mom on a mission is a force to be reckoned with!

Thank you!!!:smile:
  • lizlkbg
    Options
    And, I've made my diary public, if anyone wants to take a peek and give advice, I would appreciate it so much.
  • luvsyoga
    luvsyoga Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm here to lose those last few pounds. I lost 15 lbs last year mostly by exercise. But for years I've been trying to reduce the processed foods out of my families diet. We eat very little meat, only fish. But, I feel better than ever. Good luck!!
  • dbomh933
    Options
    My diary is public and you are welcome to peek. Good luck with everything. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    Mine is public as well. It's not full paleo, but it's getting there (minus a few cheats.. like my chipotle burrito)
  • deb3129
    Options
    My diary is open, feel free to take a peek!