New to the gym and Im LOST!

Options
I joined my local ladies gym last week and its really given me back the motivation ive been losing these last few months! Ive lost the majority of the weight that I wanted to lose, though I would love to lose those stubborn last 10lbs. An thats where I thought the gym could help.
My problem is not knowing the best way to approach things in order to tone up and get fitter. Equipment in the gym includes treadmills, spin bikes and a weight training circuit consisting of weight machines only and some light dumbells. I can also join any of the classes ie. abs, pump & tone, spin/indoor cycling etc.
So can anyone point me in the direction I should be going? So far, my routine consists of a 10 min warm up on treadmill, then I do the weights circuit 3-4 times and then some cardio ie. bikes. Will this even be effective? Or is it better to do 2-3 days weights circuit and on other days do my cardio?
I'd really appreciate any advice :flowerforyou:

Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Either will be fine.

Set some fitness goals.
  • SteveT59
    SteveT59 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    One thing to be aware of is that if you go for heavier weights, you will build muscle which weighs heavier than fat.
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I will tell you my story. A few years ago I joined the gym. Again. I went straight to the treadmill again. BOOOORRRED. I finally ventured into the spin and group ex room. Changed my life. I took spinning, Bodycombat, Bodypump and whatever else I could get my hands on. I made friends with members who took the classes, I looked forward to going every day, and it made me accountable being in a group setting. Pump gave me muscles I didn't know I had, and the cardio classes helped me shed 40 pounds. I am now a group fitness instructor and teach 9+ classes a week. Don't be afraid to give them a try. No one is watching you....they are all totally into themselves. LOL! I was chubby and in baggy clothes in the back of the room to start...I've been there....I'm now in a sports bra with a microphone in the front. Give it a shot! You'll be glad you did. :-)
  • DJ2120
    DJ2120 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I'm very shy & kind of embarrassed to ask for help at the gym. Honestly I learned a lot & about how the machines work by watching other people use them. But, if you aren't afraid to ask for help ask for a tour & the trainers should explain how all the machines work & what they do.
  • skinnyeascolady
    skinnyeascolady Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Borrred part if you stick to one thing. Try some classes that is what did it for me. I hated lifing weights before I took a bodypump class, now I love it. Zumba is good to if you have it where you go. You don't have to be concerned about not knowing the moves like some classes. All they care is that you just keep moving and you can modify it to soote where you are at. I just love the gym now and hate it when I miss a class.
  • Lulzaroonie
    Lulzaroonie Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I hear so many stories about how people join the gym and aren't offered any kind of coaching as a complimentary service. The gyms I've been part of offered three sessions with a coach to discuss goals and how to go about achieving them. Perhaps you could ask at the front desk next time you go?
    Many gyms assume that people know what they are doing, and so don't really offer help until someone asks.

Also, group classes are fantastic. I also do Body Combat three times a week, and like the lady above said, I was chubby and hid at the back. In six months of Body Combat alone, I've lost 8 inches around the waist. I've just started doing Turbofire exercises every day, and lost another inch in 5 days. I went from a 48 inch waist to a 39 in 6 months.

Group classes are definitely the way to go, you'll get support from a qualified instructor, as well as from the others in the class. It's tough going to begin with, but you don't get fit by not taking part.
    I know you can do it! Give it a try :D
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    I'm very shy & kind of embarrassed to ask for help at the gym. Honestly I learned a lot & about how the machines work by watching other people use them. But, if you aren't afraid to ask for help ask for a tour & the trainers should explain how all the machines work & what they do.

Eh... I hate to point this out, but you're paying these people every month to help you with your fitness goals. The least they can do is show you how to use the squat rack.