Soup is great for keeping the weight off

Options

Replies

• Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I was thrilled to discover my favourite (canned) chicken, pasta and vegetable soup in only 82 cals per serve. Unfortunately, though, I then discovered it was discontinued and its replacement is 40 cals higher per serve! I know that's still quite low for a lunch, but it's still annoying (especially when it's not as nice as the original soup!)
  • nyla23608
    nyla23608 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Bump. I love too love soup. Thx
  • Chrissie572
    Chrissie572 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I take chopped veg (carrots, green beans, brocolli, mushrooms - whatever is in the fridge) with half a knorr stockpot and some chopped ginger and/or garlic to work every day. I vary the seasoning, sometimes a pinch of thai spice, or some herbs - today it was sumac. At lunchtime I add water and zap it in the microwave. It's always yummy and filling and usually only about 100 calories.
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    We have started a tradition for the fall/winter in our house: Soup Sunday. Make a new soup recipe each Sunday. My husband is loving it. Fresh soup tastes amazing a servings are under 300 calories for any I am making. Make a large pot on Sunday and save the rest for the week. Helps the waistline and the wallet. And a homemade soup beats canned any day!

Sounds like a great idea!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I love soup thanks
  • livinbb
    livinbb Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    We have started a tradition for the fall/winter in our house: Soup Sunday. Make a new soup recipe each Sunday. My husband is loving it. Fresh soup tastes amazing a servings are under 300 calories for any I am making. Make a large pot on Sunday and save the rest for the week. Helps the waistline and the wallet. And a homemade soup beats canned any day!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea! I am going to steal it from you!!!!! I love soups, especially at this time of year, but never get around to making any of my own, and the canned ones have SOOOOO much sodium in them. I love the idea of taking 1 day a week and making some yummy soup. Sunday is the day my hubby makes all our bread for the week. Ohhhh, I can just see it, homemade soup and warm, fresh bread for dinner. YUM! Can't wait for Sunday now!!!!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Options
    Soups make great snacks too!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump. i've been eating progresso lites for lunch... i seem to be off the protein bar kick
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Meh
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade soup nearly everyday for lunch. 8 ounces fills me up and keeps me going until my 3:00 snack. There's so many varieties I never get bored. Sure beats the hell out of salad.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Options

I do this too...its called Sunday Supper Soup. I throw in whatever leftover meat from our Sunday supper and then slam it with all kinds of veggies. It serves as my lunch for the rest of the week...double win!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Hubby is a Truck Driver so every Saturday/Sunday when he is home we make meals for the whole week that way we can Skype dinner together. I try to plan a soup each week as one of those meals.

As far as "servings" go. I always put all the ingredients into MFP and measure out what I get into 1 cup servings (which is the size of my ladle). There are 4 cups (servings) per quart of soup.
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Soup has been my mid-afternoon meal for the last month. 70 calories Progresso Lite...But I will try some of the awsome recipes that some have posted...Thanks
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I eat homemade soup nearly everyday for lunch. 8 ounces fills me up and keeps me going until my 3:00 snack. There's so many varieties I never get bored. Sure beats the hell out of salad.

Absolutely better than salad! Especially in the colder months. I want something HOT for lunch!
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Soup has been my mid-afternoon meal for the last month. 70 calories Progresso Lite...But I will try some of the awsome recipes that some have posted...Thanks
    [I forgot to say, I take one can of soup divided in half, one can will = two days of mid afternoon snack/meal]
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I loved the cabbage beef soup Shoney's Restaurant made when I was a teenager. My version of it. I like chicken better so . . .
    after fixing stewed chicken I use the broth left over and make my soup. I cut up a head of cabbage, add a can of chopped tomatoes (I can them during the summer but store bought works fine), a diced large onion, some chopped green onions using the whole thing, Salt and pepper flakes, 16 oz or more of tomatoe juice, a couple stalks of celery, then you can add carrots, or any other veggie you want. You can use beef stock instead of chicken. I like to use my own chicken broth because of the sodium in everything you buy is high.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I agree. I grew up on canned Campbell's soups. So, it wasn't until I was an adult and started to cook my own meals that I fell in love with soups. My soup recipes are the recipes most requested by daughters now that they are grown.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    We like to make soup with all our random leftover veggies at the end of the week, and store the leftovers in freezer. Makes a delicious lunch for later, and we don't get tired of that particular soup.... However, our freezer is getting really full from all the soup we've had lately... yum
  • babsie11
    babsie11 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    thank you passing this link along!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    my favorite is a knock off from olive garden's zuppa toscano. I cook potatoes and turkey italian sausage, add milk and heat until hot then I take Kale i have chopped and drop on top of my bowl of hot soup to steam cook. I don't have calorie count because I haven't ran it through the recipe thing but it is soooo good and tasty.