Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Soup is great for keeping the weight off

Replies

• Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    I was thrilled to discover my favourite (canned) chicken, pasta and vegetable soup in only 82 cals per serve. Unfortunately, though, I then discovered it was discontinued and its replacement is 40 cals higher per serve! I know that's still quite low for a lunch, but it's still annoying (especially when it's not as nice as the original soup!)
  • nyla23608
    nyla23608 Posts: 66 Member
    Bump. I love too love soup. Thx
  • Chrissie572
    Chrissie572 Posts: 6 Member
    I take chopped veg (carrots, green beans, brocolli, mushrooms - whatever is in the fridge) with half a knorr stockpot and some chopped ginger and/or garlic to work every day. I vary the seasoning, sometimes a pinch of thai spice, or some herbs - today it was sumac. At lunchtime I add water and zap it in the microwave. It's always yummy and filling and usually only about 100 calories.
  • SUPERhecticMOM
    SUPERhecticMOM Posts: 61 Member
    We have started a tradition for the fall/winter in our house: Soup Sunday. Make a new soup recipe each Sunday. My husband is loving it. Fresh soup tastes amazing a servings are under 300 calories for any I am making. Make a large pot on Sunday and save the rest for the week. Helps the waistline and the wallet. And a homemade soup beats canned any day!

Sounds like a great idea!
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    I love soup thanks
  • livinbb
    livinbb Posts: 84 Member
    We have started a tradition for the fall/winter in our house: Soup Sunday. Make a new soup recipe each Sunday. My husband is loving it. Fresh soup tastes amazing a servings are under 300 calories for any I am making. Make a large pot on Sunday and save the rest for the week. Helps the waistline and the wallet. And a homemade soup beats canned any day!

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this idea! I am going to steal it from you!!!!! I love soups, especially at this time of year, but never get around to making any of my own, and the canned ones have SOOOOO much sodium in them. I love the idea of taking 1 day a week and making some yummy soup. Sunday is the day my hubby makes all our bread for the week. Ohhhh, I can just see it, homemade soup and warm, fresh bread for dinner. YUM! Can't wait for Sunday now!!!!
  • Elf_Princess1210
    Elf_Princess1210 Posts: 895 Member
    Soups make great snacks too!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    bump. i've been eating progresso lites for lunch... i seem to be off the protein bar kick
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Meh
  • Donnaakamagmid
    Donnaakamagmid Posts: 198 Member
    I eat homemade soup nearly everyday for lunch. 8 ounces fills me up and keeps me going until my 3:00 snack. There's so many varieties I never get bored. Sure beats the hell out of salad.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member

I do this too...its called Sunday Supper Soup. I throw in whatever leftover meat from our Sunday supper and then slam it with all kinds of veggies. It serves as my lunch for the rest of the week...double win!
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    Hubby is a Truck Driver so every Saturday/Sunday when he is home we make meals for the whole week that way we can Skype dinner together. I try to plan a soup each week as one of those meals.

As far as "servings" go. I always put all the ingredients into MFP and measure out what I get into 1 cup servings (which is the size of my ladle). There are 4 cups (servings) per quart of soup.
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Soup has been my mid-afternoon meal for the last month. 70 calories Progresso Lite...But I will try some of the awsome recipes that some have posted...Thanks
  • My1985Freckles
    My1985Freckles Posts: 1,039 Member
    I eat homemade soup nearly everyday for lunch. 8 ounces fills me up and keeps me going until my 3:00 snack. There's so many varieties I never get bored. Sure beats the hell out of salad.

Absolutely better than salad! Especially in the colder months. I want something HOT for lunch!
  • want2belean
    want2belean Posts: 124 Member
    Soup has been my mid-afternoon meal for the last month. 70 calories Progresso Lite...But I will try some of the awsome recipes that some have posted...Thanks
    [I forgot to say, I take one can of soup divided in half, one can will = two days of mid afternoon snack/meal]
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    I loved the cabbage beef soup Shoney's Restaurant made when I was a teenager. My version of it. I like chicken better so . . .
    after fixing stewed chicken I use the broth left over and make my soup. I cut up a head of cabbage, add a can of chopped tomatoes (I can them during the summer but store bought works fine), a diced large onion, some chopped green onions using the whole thing, Salt and pepper flakes, 16 oz or more of tomatoe juice, a couple stalks of celery, then you can add carrots, or any other veggie you want. You can use beef stock instead of chicken. I like to use my own chicken broth because of the sodium in everything you buy is high.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    I agree. I grew up on canned Campbell's soups. So, it wasn't until I was an adult and started to cook my own meals that I fell in love with soups. My soup recipes are the recipes most requested by daughters now that they are grown.
  • treehopper1987
    treehopper1987 Posts: 505 Member
    We like to make soup with all our random leftover veggies at the end of the week, and store the leftovers in freezer. Makes a delicious lunch for later, and we don't get tired of that particular soup.... However, our freezer is getting really full from all the soup we've had lately... yum
  • babsie11
    babsie11 Posts: 21 Member
    thank you passing this link along!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    my favorite is a knock off from olive garden's zuppa toscano. I cook potatoes and turkey italian sausage, add milk and heat until hot then I take Kale i have chopped and drop on top of my bowl of hot soup to steam cook. I don't have calorie count because I haven't ran it through the recipe thing but it is soooo good and tasty.