Half Ironman!! :D

Options
Hey everyone! So I'm doing the cycle leg of a half ironman with my two sisters in December, but I really want to do the whole half (nice wording there) as an individual next year - in December.

Just wondering, have you guys got any training tips/plans? I am a strong swimmer and decent cyclist but I am concerned about the running as I have sustained a few stress fractures over the years and I really need to ease into it. Motivation is not a problem, I set goals and I always follow through. However I just need an idea of where to start! :D Much appreciated, would love some training buddies so feel free to add me! Thanks in advance

Replies

• mirthfuldragon
    mirthfuldragon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So I'm doing the cycle leg of a half ironman with my two sisters in December, but I really want to do the whole half (nice wording there) as an individual next year - in December.

Just wondering, have you guys got any training tips/plans? I am a strong swimmer and decent cyclist but I am concerned about the running as I have sustained a few stress fractures over the years and I really need to ease into it. Motivation is not a problem, I set goals and I always follow through. However I just need an idea of where to start! :D Much appreciated, would love some training buddies so feel free to add me! Thanks in advance

I have started training for an international distance triathlon in July. "Training" is the right word - half ironman is not a task to be undertaken lightly - but certainly to be encouraged.

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com has several free training schedules that can form the base for your training plan. If you haven't already, head to a running shop and get your stride analyzed for proper running footwear. Running is actually the heart of triathlon; if you look over the swim and bike times, the differences between the top 10% of the field and midpack are minimal; however, the run differences are dramatic. That's partially having an endurance base to build from, but also a lot from being a good runner.

The 20 week program at Beginner Triathlete is probably a good start: http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=52

Then figure out your schedule, set up your program, and go from there.
  • chcbrown
    chcbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I competed as a pretty good age-group triathele, runner, and cyclist for 25 years, and (at 52) am still pretty fit, though some arthritis has limited me to the bike and the pool these days. Throughout the first half of my racing career, I was plagued with injuries owing to some biomechanical problems, so I was forced into a run training program that now (decades later!) is becoming much more widespread. I dropped from 40-60 miles a week, and 5-6 days training to running three days a week, M-W-F (or M-W-S during racing season, with the Saturday race taking the place of the Friday tempo run). One long run, one tempo workout, and one speed session, Additionally, after too many years) I started dong all of my long runs on grass or singletrack. I also swam and rode three times a week...but juggling those workouts is more art than science, and I don't know that I ever got it exactly right. I was able to set run PRs of 1:00:16 for 10 miles, 36:02 for 10K, and 8:46:25 for 50 miles on an average of 30-35 miles a week, a level that I think really helps to avoid injury. Just remember to limit run mileage increases to no more than 10% a week; warm-up THOROUGHLY before tempo and speed sessions, and stretch (holding static stretches for at least 30-40 seconds for each muscle group) after every workout, and I think you'll be fine.
  • chcbrown
    chcbrown Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    PS also, swim with swimmers, run with runners, and ride with cyclists. I have seen too many very fit triathletes with superb equipment get beat in the swim and/or bike legs by less fit folks with better technique. As you are a swimmer already, I don't need to tell you how much technique matters there, but every time I see a triathlete stop pedaling and sit up on a turn...or plow up a hill in a huge gear, I cringe. When you're going to be in the water for 40 minutes and on the bike for 2.5-3 hours, even little flaws add up.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    You've got a little over a year to train, right? That's plenty of time to "ease" into the running.

Once you are up to 7 or 8 miles, start doing bike/run bricks. Other than that, depending on how lofty your goals are... just get out there as much as you can.

If you know the course, or at least where the course is being held, ride and run in similar terrain. If the course is likely to be flat, training in the flat is fine (though hills are never a bad thing). If the course is going to be hilly, make sure you train in the hills.
  • nicruns
    nicruns Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    swim with swimmers, bike with cyclist & run with runners= great advice!

so too with the beginner triathlete website + brick workoutn recommendation.

triathlon is such an amazing sport, but at the half ironman distance & beyond... those "other" factors (apart from the three sport disciplines): namely: transition & nutrition will require attention too.
    (the swim to bike is a pain for switching up attire while wet & then the brick workouts will make bike to run WAY more manageable!!)

it's an awesome goal!
    & with the right training, you'll fly through it!
    (just really pay attention to what foods/liquids-- & the combination of the two--- work BEST for YOU during training! b/c after that many hours of relentless exercise, you'll be thankful for having figured it out and getting it right)

but i'm excited for you already!

(& hopefully you have a foam roller and epsom salts at the ready for when the mileage really ramps up!)
    ENJOY!
    (& congrats)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    (just really pay attention to what foods/liquids-- & the combination of the two--- work BEST for YOU during training! b/c after that many hours of relentless exercise, you'll be thankful for having figured it out and getting it right)

Excellent point. If you're looking at 5+ hours of legitimate racing, you're going to need some cals. Figuring out how much how often and what type is a bigger deal than a lot of people think. There are zillions of options... try a bunch while you are training and see what you like best - both what your body responds well to AND what is easy to carry, open, eat, etc.
  • lisamichelle123
    lisamichelle123 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your advice!!
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    This is a great thread!!!

I'm doing a Half-Ironman in 2014 (that's my plan anyway).....that's my ultimate athletic goal...love the site for the training plans!!
  • akyooper
    akyooper Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I am doing a half-ironman this July. I have done several sprint distance tris, and my longest distance run has been a half marathon. I am not going to start a true training schedule until next month, but right now, am just trying to assess where I am with the swimming and biking. Tomorrow, I am going to see how long it takes me to swim the 1.2 miles. I am a decent swimmer and biker. Running is my slowest. My typical triathlon experience is that I pass a number of people on the bike, but then within the first few miles of the run, they pass me! I am planning on modifying one of the plans from beginner triathlete, mostly because I have time restrictions (work full time and have 2 kids that I like to spend time with). I highly recommend you check out the blog Swim Bike Mom, (even if you are not a mom). Very inspirational! Also, she has a book called Triathlon for the Every Women---awesome!
    Good luck--add me if you want a 70.3 buddy :)
  • dfquigley
    dfquigley Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm doing my first triathlon, a half iron, in june!!

Good luck! :D
  • gablesmu
    gablesmu Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I was searching through posts and I see you are doing your first half iron in July. I will be doing a Half Iron in July as well. How has the training been going? I am struggling with losing weight even though the exercise has been okay. Are you trying lose weight as well? I have improved in all aspects of the triathlon but still struggle with the running. Actually heading out for a run today. Which Half are you doing?
  • missyw2you
    missyw2you Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Was wondering if I could bring this post to life. I would love to hear how some of your first half irons went! I'm trying to get my act together with my training/nutrition but it's been rocky. I'm signed up for the Puerto Rico Half Ironman in April!! I know training through winter is going to be tough and this will be my first half so my ultimate goal is to finish. Could use a little motivation and any tips you might have from your experiences as a beginner. Thanks! :)
  • jacksonpt
    Options
    Assuming you have a solid base under you, simply finishing isn't really that had as long as you are able to pace yourself correctly. My first half was a lot of fun and I finished just as my legs started to cramp - which is about perfect for me. My second I had clear time goals I was trying to hit, I overcooked it on the bike, started cramping at mile 28 and ended up DNFing.