Protein Shakes

Options
Can anyone recommend a fairly inexpensive protein shake for me?
I do not have the money to spend on Shakeology or anything like that, but I do need more protein in my diet. I do not eat much meat and no fish at all.

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people like Body Fortress which is really cheap and sold at Walmart. (I personally couldn't even get past the smell, nevermind the taste.. but I seem to be the minority)

I like Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate. It depends on what you consider 'inexpensive' though. I pay around $26 for a tub.
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    That's not a bad price. Where do you get it?

I know a lot of people like Body Fortress which is really cheap and sold at Walmart. (I personally couldn't even get past the smell, nevermind the taste.. but I seem to be the minority)

I like Optimum Nutrition's Double Rich Chocolate. It depends on what you consider 'inexpensive' though. I pay around $26 for a tub.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I buy it in store at GNC.
    http://www.gnc.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2134050

I know a lot of people swear by this site though for online ordering (I've never ordered it online though):
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/opt/whey.html
  • wloukurtz
    wloukurtz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I use 2 different ones... Perfect Fit Protein and Shakeology.
    Perfect Fit Protein---> Completely organic, raw, vegan, gluten free, non GMO, SURGAR FREE. It only comes in vanilla. I use it in my mixed berry protein smoothies and baking...pancakes and muffins! 50 bag serving $43
    Shakeolgy--->You've done some research on it I'm guessing, but if you have questions on it let me know.
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    GNC is evil. Look online and you can find it cheaper. I use protein factory for my custom protein blends. Plus they have good deals on their powders. What are you looking for in a protein powder?
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    https://www.svncanada.com/product/2638/mutant-whey

49$ for 5lbs of great tasting(with just water)ONLY TRIPLE CHOCOLATE, not vanilla. , hunger-filling protein shake.

if anyone knows better, let me know
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    The site I listed has 10 lbs bag of MEGA WHEY for $69 or 5 LBS of premium whey for $37. Plus you get to pick the flavor.
    http://proteinfactory.com/shop/whey-protein-powder/

I use to use bulknutrition a lot to but there powder prices went way up. At least on what I use to get, maybe they still have great prices on other things.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Ok , so as a runner who logs anywhere from 30-50 miles a week.... how much protein should i really have in my diet? With my 1200 cal day limit im quiet positive Im lacking in this dept. Im not a huge fan of red meat , but love chicken and freshwater fish. Started reading this message board for a good protein powder for myself, because Ive been really thinking of adding it into my diet! Any ideas? help?
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    i use the whey on myprotein.com.

I'm currently using the diet whey double chocolate. 200 calories a 45g of protein. I have one for breakfast and it fuels me all the way until lunchtime!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like the maxitone definity shakes. I add Greek yogurt to mine and it tastes really nice.
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Ok , so as a runner who logs anywhere from 30-50 miles a week.... how much protein should i really have in my diet? With my 1200 cal day limit im quiet positive Im lacking in this dept. Im not a huge fan of red meat , but love chicken and freshwater fish. Started reading this message board for a good protein powder for myself, because Ive been really thinking of adding it into my diet! Any ideas? help?

You run 30-50 miles per week on 1200 calories? or do you eat back all of your running calories? Personally with that level of energy expendature i'd think you would be on more.

Protein helps with recovery. Have one after a long run and you'll notice a quicker recovery. It also keeps you full for longer so a shake for breakfast really will keep you going.
  • dan323
    dan323 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I drink Muscle milk or Cryosport protein drinks. I also eat Cliff bars or Detour bars. Plus Fisk or Chicken. I'm not big on red meat.
  • toogsmom
    toogsmom Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Other than running and keeping up with kiddos , my life is pretty sedentary! I still have a pretty good bit of weight to lose. Haha NO i do not eat back my running calories.Im trying to make sure that the calories I consume are the healthiest thing i can put in my body for food! Anyways dont want to hijack her message board ! Thanks for the info though! Gonna have to do some research!
  • tmston2
    tmston2 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also use Body Fortress vanilla from walmart, most of the time. if i get a bonus check, or any extra cash i go with muscle-tech, its really good stuff but really expensive.
  • AsrarHussain
    AsrarHussain Posts: 1,424 Member
    Options
    I buy from myprotein cheap 5 kg 35-40£
  • TaterTotz777
    Options
    there are many that are reasonably priced but you need to read the ingredients. Try to stay away from the ones with artificial sweeteners and flavors if you can.
  • Amanda0926
    Amanda0926 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the info!!