Glucosamine & Chondroitin

Options
I've been running quite a bit more than usual and my knees are feeling it! They aren't too painful but sore at times. Someone suggested taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin supplements. Don't know much about them...who takes them and have they helped you? Any negative effects? Thanks!

Replies

• JoannaAndBlue
    JoannaAndBlue Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I take them for exact same reason. It really helps and no side effects. Ask your pharmacist for a recommendation.
  • jessihoover
    Options
    I take glucosamine as per my doctor's recommendation. She said that you have to take it regularly for 2 months though to see any effect. (I have crackly knees) I am about to my 2 month mark and do notice a lessening in the crackle. I am not sure about chondroitin. I am not sure what dosage of glucosamine I take - its 1 capsule a day.
  • leodru
    leodru Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    I take them as well - i notice it works better when i take them twice a day versus just once. I also found Costco had the best price if you have one around you....
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    By no means a medical recomendation... but i used to have rotator cuff pain, as well as pain in my knees after working out particularly hard.. tried stretching, and resting, but it would come right back after the workout, even after having taken 3 weeks off...tried G&C and in 2 weeks the pain went away and I havent had it since. I take a generic Pricemart (I assume similar to walmart) brand 1 a day supplement. I do not know if it is the comination of G&C, or the G or the C but I take it religiously.
    Good luck with your knees.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I'm a runner, too and I take a combo supplement every day...and swear by!

Swanson Ultra Joint Care with glucosamine, MSM and chondroiton orderd from the Swanson Vitamins website.
  • marthathebear
    Options
    My doctor suggested condroitin for the arthritis in my fingers. It is helping with inflammation. I can't hurt you and may help. Ask your doctor.
  • sewerchick93
    sewerchick93 Posts: 1,440 Member
    Options
    I've been taking a supplement for about a year now and am going to quit when I finish this bottle, I haven't really felt any improvements or benefits. If I feel worse when I stop, then I'll know it did do something and I'll start taking it again.
    For me, taping my knee with kinesio tape has been what works.
  • ashley7979
    Options
    I take Baxyl. It works better for me than glu/chon.
  • joydayval
    Options
    Is Glucosamine/Chondroitin a form of sugar? I know nothing about it either.
  • marcoscu
    marcoscu Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I started getting arthritic type pains in my hand and wrists. I started taking them and since then the problem has never returned.
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I take glucosamine w/chondroitin. It has helped me tremendously. My wife is an RN and she asked the docs at the ER that she used to work at about it and they reccomended it. I was recently at a continuing education seminar for my work and the doctor that was speaking was asked about it. He also confirmed the benefits. You have to remember it will only help stop the damage or slow it down. It will not create new cartilege.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I do take glucosamine/chondroitin and have for several years. I haven't really felt any difference, but due to some past history I'm kind of disconnected from my body and what I'm feeling. I've heard a lot of people saying it really helps them.

I have some pretty serious arthritis (bilateral TKA last winter and I'm only 55 yrs old). I asked both my GP Doc and my ortho surgeon and they both said the jury is still out as far as research, that it may or may not help, but it probably would keep it from getting worse. That's enough for me to keep taking it.