Can strength training also be cardio?

Options

Replies

• FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    Enough for general health? Probably. Going to build up a lot of endurance? Probably not.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Not really. Heart increases during resistance exercise (RE) via a different physiologic mechanism than during cardio, so the heart rate increase is not a reliable indicator. Strength results and cardio results are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum. If you increase the cardiovascular component of the movement (e.g. lift lighter weights at faster speed) you decrease the resistance benefits and vice versa.

Adzak basically opened and closed the thread with the perfect answer. Lifting and cardio are opposites. To put up a decent amount of weight, you're asking your body to use a large chunk of it's energy in a short period of time (power). To run/swim/walk/etc., you're asking your body to take a small reserve of energy and spread it over a long period of time (endurance). Opposites.

Now you can lower the weights, increase the reps, and decrease the rest time between sets and get a great metabolic effect similar to running, but the weights are so low that it really can't be considered true strength training.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Now you can lower the weights, increase the reps, and decrease the rest time between sets and get a great metabolic effect similar to running, but the weights are so low that it really can't be considered true strength training.

However; with the added weight (albeit light) you will add an element of muscular endurance training to the exercise - endurance is more differenter than strength.

The answer is to do ALL the exercises. Do some strength, do some cardio, do some "conditioning". It all helps your body be healthy in different ways. If you get to a point where you're ready to be a badass at one particular aspect of fitness then you will need to focus on that one aspect to a much greater degree. Until that point while you're just working on being generally fit and healthy, do everything.
  • sjohnny
    Options
    10-22
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Whilst lifting heavy is not cardio (not long enough really is it?), my sprints both running, rowing and cycling have improved since doing the heavy stuff...coincidence? Me thinks not...so it is more like HIIT, or whatever the interval stuff is called. (kettlebells can be used in interval training as can any weights for short bursts)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

I am currently taking a fitness instructor training course, and yes, strength training can be cardio, even power lifting, doesn't mean you need to take lighter weights either. As long as your HR is in the 60-90% range, you are indeed doing cardio. I personnaly double up sets to make supersets and gets my HR up there, obviously breathing is key as well.

If your "fitness instructor training course" is telling you that, then they are wrong and you should demand your money back. Or you are just misinterpreting the information, in which case you need to stay after school and write:

"Heart rate increases during strength training are not the same as during cardio"

500 times on the blackboard.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

However; with the added weight (albeit light) you will add an element of muscular endurance training to the exercise - endurance is more differenter than strength.

The answer is to do ALL the exercises. Do some strength, do some cardio, do some "conditioning". It all helps your body be healthy in different ways. If you get to a point where you're ready to be a badass at one particular aspect of fitness then you will need to focus on that one aspect to a much greater degree. Until that point while you're just working on being generally fit and healthy, do everything.

Thank you. So often the post here present the false dichotomy of strength vs cardio that it's great to see a more holistic position.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Whilst lifting heavy is not cardio (not long enough really is it?), my sprints both running, rowing and cycling have improved since doing the heavy stuff...coincidence? Me thinks not...so it is more like HIIT, or whatever the interval stuff is called. (kettlebells can be used in interval training as can any weights for short bursts)

You are equating increase in performance with an increase in aerobic conditioning. The two are not the same. Increased muscle strength and power can enhance performance (e.g. 5K run time) without any increase in actual VO2 max.
  • Azdak
    Options
    I switched my workout this weekend and did weights first and cardio after. My HR was a full 10 bpm higher during cardio doing it that way.

If I am doing whole body exercises during weights (for example squats with a 10lb overhead press) My HR is super high for the whole duration of strength training.

Que the person who sez it can't be or that my HRM is inaccurate.... or that I am an alien from outer space because it couldn't possibly do that.

First of all, doing squats with and overhead will result in an exaggerated HR response without a corresponding increase in oxygen uptake--so once again, heart rate provides a distorted picture of what is actually occurring in the body.

Second--doing squats with only 10 lb of resistance is not really strength training.

And this is the heart of much of the confusion and misinformation on this topic -- people lump all types of movements and combinations of intensity into the general heading of 'strength training" and then use this incorrect definition to "prove" that these metabolic movements are the equivalent of doing 2-4 RM squats.

No. Just plain "no".
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks for inputs - I haven't left the thread; just listening more than typing.
  • DavPul
    Options

Thank you. So often the post here present the false dichotomy of strength vs cardio that it's great to see a more holistic position.

Honestly, I don't think that's what's going on here at all. The OP asked a specific question and is getting an answer to the question asked. He did not ask if he should do one or the other. I know from his past posts that he already does a well rounded program that includes strength, flexibility and cardio training. No one here has said do one or the other. We're just answering a question without throwing in extra advice.

If I wanted to throw in extra advice I WOULD TELL HIM TO TRY YOGA
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Comparing the effects on cardiometabolic health of a program of strength training only vs. cardio only, there isn't a clear advantage for one or the other. Getting exercise and not being fat is of far, far greater importance.
  • DavPul
    Options

I am currently taking a fitness instructor training course, and yes, strength training can be cardio, even power lifting, doesn't mean you need to take lighter weights either. As long as your HR is in the 60-90% range, you are indeed doing cardio. I personnaly double up sets to make supersets and gets my HR up there, obviously breathing is key as well.

Nope
  • sjohnny
    Options

Holisitic in that I believe in doing all of these things and that they all have a place in most people's fitness programs. They are different types of workouts though, and I don't try to modify one to make it into a combination of two or more types. For cardio, I run - I don't consider this a leg muscle workout. For strength I lift weights - heavy(ish) weight for low(ish) reps. When I'm doing "strength training" I don't worry about trying to squeeze out a cardiovascular workout in the same session.

Just in case that wasn't clear.
  • Jackielyn17
    Options

If your "fitness instructor training course" is telling you that, then they are wrong and you should demand your money back. Or you are just misinterpreting the information, in which case you need to stay after school and write:

"Heart rate increases during strength training are not the same as during cardio"

500 times on the blackboard.

No need to be rude. And any heart rate increase during physical activity leads to cardio IF the HR is between 60-90% capacity. And seeing as my F.I.T. class is coming from the ACSM, I highly doubt they are wrong. If the point of your workout is to ONLY work on cardiovascular fitness (the heart), then an accumulated 30 minutes in the above-mentionned capacity is all you need.
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    your program looks great. IMO, there is no need to over analyze it further.

This. :wink:
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. What I'm getting from this is that there is, or can be, an element of both strength and cardio at both ends and for general purposes they can meet in the middle, but to increase cardio capacity or strength <to an optimum (BOLD)> one should do either or both, but in separate sessions.

"The OP asked a specific question and is getting an answer to the question asked. He did not ask if he should do one or the other. I know from his past posts that he already does a well rounded program that includes strength, flexibility and cardio training. No one here has said do one or the other. We're just answering a question without throwing in extra advice." to quote DavPul

Yes - I wasn't asking for anyone to advise me which to go for. As DavPul says, I already follow a well-rounded weekly program (just need to believe it myself) INCLUDING YOGA :wink: Just wanted to throw it out there to gain a clearer picture of current thinking.

Sorry - didn't mean to whip up a storm; sometimes difficult on any forum. Everyone's cool yeah.
  • Azdak
    Options
    Not really. Heart increases during resistance exercise (RE) via a different physiologic mechanism than during cardio, so the heart rate increase is not a reliable indicator. Strength results and cardio results are kind of on opposite ends of the spectrum. If you increase the cardiovascular component of the movement (e.g. lift lighter weights at faster speed) you decrease the resistance benefits and vice versa.

I respect your reply, but I am also awre that my breathing rate increases also, so something aerobic is happening. The fact that I take shorter breaks possibly means I am not working at my maximum strength demands but more likely am training towards the intense end of cardio.

I think this is where programs like Insanity sit in the in-between between cardio and strength?

Without a metabolic cart, there is no way to identify with certainty the precise effects of any given type of hybrid workout. I can only say what I said before--in order to increase the cardiovascular training effect, you must decrease the resistance training effect and vice versa.

Let me repeat: I am not saying that your workout as described or workout classes cannot have ANY cardio effect or ANY strength effect exclusively. I am only saying that one will almost always compromise the other. You cannot maximize gains in both areas simultaneously with the same movement.

It is up to each individual to decide if the results they get match their goals. I am not here to criticize anyone's program. You speculated that, based on heart rate readings, your strength routine could also double as a cardio training routine. The answer is that: if you are trying to do a traditional strength routine, and you are expecting the results of a traditional strength routine, and you are truly working to failure in 5-8 reps, then it does not provide cardio training benefits and the increased HR is not indicative of a cardio training effect. And if, by chance you WERE experiencing a cardio training effect, it would mean that you had structured the workout in such a way that you had significantly compromised the resistance training effect.

None of this means that any exercise choices are "wrong". It just means that people have to structure their workouts to meet their goals, and in order to do that, they need to understand the physiological facts of how each type of exercise affects the body.
  • knelson422
    Options
    I used to think it was not cardio at all. But I started doing circuit training with strength training exercises and my heart pumps more than when I go running. So, there has to be some kind of cardio going on there. I alternate both, and notice big difference in the tone of my muscles from when I was just running. Good luck!!
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    Talking to nobody in particular, just like to point this out for those reading this post and are more concerned with calories burned (which you shouldn't necessarily be, including different things in your workout is a good thing if you ask me). We should not go by the assumption that heart rate indicates the HRM can calculate calories burned for cardio and strength training. If your heart rate is the same, calories burned are not. The HRM has no idea that your body is lifting weights, the calculations for those guys are based on cardio activities like running or cycling only, not strength training. Look it up.

Huge Yes to this. But that's not surprising because CoderGal is always knows her *kitten*.

Don't give me the credit, Azdak was the one who informed me and triggered me to look it up long ago :tongue: He has a good head on his shoulders. Since then I realized how many people don't realize this and I tend to throw it out there every now and then :smile:
    Talking to nobody in particular, just like to point this out for those reading this post and are more concerned with calories burned (which you shouldn't necessarily be, including different things in your workout is a good thing if you ask me). We should not go by the assumption that heart rate indicates the HRM can calculate calories burned for cardio and strength training. If your heart rate is the same, calories burned are not. The HRM has no idea that your body is lifting weights, the calculations for those guys are based on cardio activities like running or cycling only, not strength training. Look it up.

Solid advice

Thanks guys.