SQUATS
  • navydentalchic
    navydentalchic Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    bump for later reading :wink:
  • lisamarie2181
    lisamarie2181 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    You might also want to try to make sure you diet is filled with nutrient dense foods, for people that are close to goal a lot of times this does matter and can make a difference in things like this. Something worth looking into :)
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Although I have lost about an inch off my thighs, the inner area is still jiggly. Just keep doing what you're doing and the fat will slop off in time. I may also suggest looking up "pop-pilates" on youtube. There's two REALLY good inner thigh workouts on there.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    So if I still have flabby areas on my inner thighs and belly, when I get down to my perfect weight (another 15 pounds or so), does this mean that the fat will be gone? I'm so close to the ideal, I just don't understand the flab in those areas.

NO!

I have been UNDER my ideal weight ..... did I have an "ideal" body? No, I still had fat legs. I will ALWAYS be somewhat pear shaped .... just as some people will always be somewhat "apple" shaped. This has a lot to do with genetics.

All you can do is lose fat & exercise .... and hope for the best (it does get better.... but maybe not perfect). The only "guarantee" would be liposuction.

Agree: hope, work, and then accept.

Just a note on liposuction (which I know you weren't necessarily advocating). Apparently, lots of people who've had it wind up with loose skin anyway, with no fat to hold up the structure.

They then look for skin *tightening* procedures, which provide minimal results (when they do). Of those, I think Thermage is the one that's supposed to have at least some effectiveness, for people who have enough collagen (but not too much fat).

There's a new device for 'cellulite' that I think does something towards its purpose, but has caused people to bruise heavily for > six months.

Surgery, i.e., a lift, is possible, but the scars are so invasive it's only recommended for older people with really significant loose skin. What I've read suggests that while tummy tucks are pretty effective, inner thigh lifts are mostly not. (Lots of different directions of force around there, delicate skin, even more unpredictable scarring than in other surgeries.)

Given all that, I think the best approach for someone who's at a healthy weight and is bothered by these issues is to:

1) Lose a BIT of fat, but not so much skin actually hangs. Probably more relevant to people over 35.

2) Beef up the muscle underneath so everything holds up better. I've seen someone here mention being strategic about that - building up the hamstrings and butt, especially, so the skin/fat drapes in a more appealing way (pulls away from the inner thigh) - and that makes sense to me (from an aesthetic POV anyway).

3) Of course, build up muscle in the rest of the body so there's more proportionality/distraction from the bothersome area.

4) Learn to like the body you have. Seriously work on accepting natural limitations. Live a full, healthy life that includes focus outside of the body.
  • DJRichCT
    DJRichCT Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    One more question... since I'm more interested in toning and some definition, not wanting to turn into Arnold Schwartzenegger or anything! Should I increase my protein? I'm having an average of about 60-70 grams. Do you think I need a protein shake or protein powder to help with the workouts? I am eating healthy, but maybe more protein tis important. I just don't want to start going in the other direction and gain by having the extra protein. What are your thoughts on this?
  • bethanytowell
    bethanytowell Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    In fact, they may end up making you look bigger if you build up muscle in areas where your body likes to store fat no matter how thin you are

I'm not saying give up weights, but watch where you use them. You may not want to use direct resistance in certain areas.

That is the biggest load of BS I have ever read

Here is my personal opinion/experience. My hips/Thighs/Butt have ALWAYS been my biggest area, its just where my body stores fat. Since lifting heavy doing weighted squats, lunges, one leg lunges and dead lifts I have substantially decreased the size of those areas, lifted my butt, it has been amazing. So i know people say that you cant spot reduce, i used to believe it, but my body has proved me wrong.
  • DJRichCT
    DJRichCT Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Do you think I can achieve results as good if I use weight machines? Strive, the weight equipment at my local gym, has three different settings to work out different areas of the muscle. Would I get the same benefit as lifting the free weights?