Hopefully just the beginning of my success story.

Options
Jesmoko
Jesmoko Posts: 203 Member
Oh, hi there. I basically just wanted to write about my situation currently, because it's been a step in the right direction for me, which...hasn't really happened before. I've been diagnosed severe anxiety, schizoid personality disorder, major depression and all that good stuff I've been dealing with for several years now. I've been through...so many different meds, and forms of therapy with so little success that me and the doctor(s) were starting to run out of options.

I've purposely stayed away from alcohol and drugs, just because I knew that'd only lead me to a vicious cycle that would ultimately harm my chances of ever becoming happy. But food was becoming the filler of the void for me (pun not intended), the one vice I couldn't avoid. I chose to take action, before it got out of hand. I chose to get a...dog! I've always loved animals, which is precisely why I never thought to get a pet. How could I take care of something when I couldn't take care of myself? But I had discounted the fact that I'm not adorable and awesome.

I've lost more than 33 lbs in a year and I'm back to my healthy weight. I walk my dog around two hours every day, which has improved my fitness immensely. I have small chat with other dog owners, which has improved my social skills. I'm still struggling with a lot of stuff (and I most likely will for the rest of my life), but overall I'm in a much better place today than couple years ago. That's my story so far, and hopefully it'll get even better from here.

Let's see if I can successfully add couple of photos as well...

uM5QI.jpg

ayE5Q.jpg

Replies

• Meatsies
    Meatsies Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Dude, you're TOTALLY adorable and awesome.
    *THWAP*
  • KWake1
    KWake1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! Good for you for recognizing that you were using food negatively before it went too far. That bodes well for your future too. Way to go on losing the weight and getting back to being healthy! Also, your dog is definitely super cute!
  • RickyN29
    RickyN29 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Right on man! You look great and I hope that your excellent self improvement will have a strong effect on your well-being overall. I think a dog is a great companion that will support you and encourage you. A crazy single guy myself, I would be lost without my pup.

Be strong, be proud of who you are, and walk tall.
  • Jesmoko
    Options
    Dude, you're TOTALLY adorable and awesome.
    *THWAP*
    Not compared to the pup, but he's a tough act to follow.

Thank you everyone!
  • MarinaPacheco
    MarinaPacheco Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Well done what a great success story and what a great idea to get a dog. I also found myself being more active when I got a pet, and my neighbours, who I have never spoken to in 12 years, suddenly all started talking to me too - it works!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    What a great story! It sounds like you've really come a long ways in a lot of different regards. Congrats on a job well done. :)
  • akarney
    akarney Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Wishing you continued success in all areas!
  • slynnalex
    slynnalex Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You are awesome! Congratulations on your weight loss and for getting a dog. :happy:
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    Congrats, you look great! Your dog is a cutie pie too!! I am sorry that you struggle with the issues that you do, but taking control of your health helps I think! I have had a lot of emotional stuff to deal with in the last couple of years, but feeling like I am at least a little in control of my body has helped me!
  • liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Congrats!! That's definitely already a big success story! You should be so proud, and I'm sure that your fitness will help in alleviating the weight of that other stuff too. Very inspiring!

I love your dog too, so cute!
  • misstilley12
    misstilley12 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    You are so inspiring, as a girl who has had similar feelings of life and can relate to you, i think it is great how you are turning your life around. I hope you are so proud of yourself you dont look like the same person x
  • Jesmoko
    Options
    You are so inspiring, as a girl who has had similar feelings of life and can relate to you, i think it is great how you are turning your life around. I hope you are so proud of yourself you dont look like the same person x
    Well thank you, and thanks to everyone else here.

Hopefully this reminds some of the other nutters out there that there are...opportunities and options out there, even if you feel like you're at the end of your ropes. You may not necessarily see them in your current state, and maybe others around you can't see them either. But just hold on for another day, and sooner or later things will happen. I don't know why I'm talking like this is a suicide prevention line, but there you have it. Don't...don't eat so many cakes, just to tie this back down to weight loss.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I will hope the same, this is just the beginning :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!