Conflicting thoughts - body image vs body image!

Options
Hey all -
I'm new here! I just made a topic in the introduction thread. However, I thought I'd make a topic here (I hope it's the right forum) about something that has been bugging me for a while.

I'm a fashion design student, and while I normally design menswear, I do spend a lot of my time surrounded by imagery of incredibly thin models. The ideal body I want IS lean, but also very strong and ripped, to the point of having highly visible muscles. This contradicts the kind of imagery and opinions I'm surrounded by every day.

Sometimes I'm made to feel wrong or weird for wanting to have a muscular body. Sometimes I'm very proud of my strength and I can't fathom why anyone would want to be weak.

I have trouble clothing my body. It can be difficult to get jeans that will fit my big thighs and bum but which don't gape in the waist. I find it hard to buy tops and dresses that aren't too tight on my arms and lats. I have very little in the way of breasts, but my pecs are quite big.

I do want to be a lot leaner and I think there is some fat that could be lost and that will help the clothing issue. I believe that a ripped body is something that I can achieve. But I often feel like I'm surrounded by the 'wrong' imagery or opinions for my motivation. Does anyone else find that magazines, tv, fashion, other people etc. can cause you to have some conflicting thoughts? I think I really need to talk to some more women who want to have muscle! :) Thank you!

Emily x

Replies

• Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I like to look lean and muscly, although I'm working on it still but so many magazines airbrush the models..but saying that, if you see them all the time it must be hard.
    You'll get there as we all will, hard work and patience :smile:
  • foxombie
    Options
    Oh yeah - it's very obvious sometimes that the photographs are airbrushed - in fact, I did work as an intern airbrushing models myself..! But when you're surrounded by it, you don't exactly 'forget' but the images do sort of sit in your brain and don't go away, and they can become what you see as 'normal' (which is silly, but there we go).
    Thanks for the tips :D x
  • theonenonlykris
    Options
    I am in photography and can say that I consistently edit out many things people see as flaws. Cellulite, back fat, acne and hair. Its become a must have and people expect it. Even babies who are cute as a button they want editing to remove baby blemishes.
  • cmpollard01
    Options
    I am completely with you! I want to have a toned, muscular body. I've actually started focusing LESS on the number the scales show (except for tracking trends) and MORE on my body fat percentage. I've gone from near 30% in March to 26.70% as of last week. I'm proud of the fact that my leg muscles are starting to be more defined, and you can tell I have biceps! I, too, am "gifted" in the derriere...and I"ve come to like it now that the rest of me isn't so "gifted." Yes, it's hard as all get out to find pants that fit-too tight in the butt if they fit the waist, too big in the waist if they fit the butt, and the ever-present regulars are too short but longs are too long issue (my 32 inch inseam is the same as my 6'3" boyfriend's...).

Thankfully, I don't work in an industry where I have to see stick thin women every day, but I was one of those stick thin chicks growing up. I look back now and realize that I looked pitiful! I would so much rather be toned, muscular, and ripped than waifish and "skinny"-especially according to someone else's definition!

I think there will always be this conflicting imagery. The good news is, we are strong, confident women, and we will look sexy no matter what!

BTW, I'm friending you. It's always nice to have another woman who wants to be strong! :happy:
  • NatashaB8
    Options
    I am starting weight lifting soon because, like you, I want to be strong and have visible muscles. I used to look at magazines and wish to look like the models in it. However I am more of a Kim Kardashian figure (although perhaps not as generous) and grew out of it, and just wanted to be slimmer.

After joining MFP and seeing the sheer number of healthy STRONG women I can say it has totally changed me.

I have now ordered NROLFW and cannot wait to transform my body. I would rather be strong and healthy than too skinny and frail. I think society needs to step up and accept that having muscles is something women can have!
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    Just realize that the majority of the fashion industry has their standard as to what the "ideal" woman looks like which is on the extreme side of the body image spectrum - very thin, shapeless and androgynous in appearance. By no means does that describe the average or fit woman. Although there are several companies out there that cater to fit, shapely women, it still remains a quite lop-sided ratio. You can play a role as a future designer in creating fashionable pieces that tailor to a segment of the female population that often feels neglected by most mainstream designers.
  • pegsum
    pegsum Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of the show What Not to Wear. They always say to stop worrying about finding clothes to fit off the rack. Find clothes that flatter your shape and get them tailored to fit just right. Since you're a design student, perhaps you can sew (or will certainly be working with people who can!)
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I have trouble finding tops that are long enough in the front to compensate for my large bust. Normally my shirts all ride up in front because they are being pushed out so far (I do not lose my bust when I lose weight).

Also keep in mind that not everyone has the same 'ideal' and for every woman who wants to be muscular there is one who does not and who feels the same way that you do when looking at magazines and ladies that do not meet their 'ideal' . I haven't seen many women who look like the pictures in the magazines and less who would actually 'want' to.

I think geekyjock76 said it best :
    You can play a role as a future designer in creating fashionable pieces that tailor to a segment of the female population that often feels neglected by most mainstream designers.

If you see a gap, fill it ;)
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Those women you see everyday are hired to be a clothes hangar. Not to look good themselves (IMHO anyway). I much prefer muscles. I am certainly lean, with a low BF %, but that is through hard work and exercise and training for races. I love my visible muscles. You have come to the right place, because LOTS of women on here are into health and fitness, and definitely strength-training, not just getting to the lowest possible number on the scale. Good luck! And Good luck keeping a healthy self-image and going for what you want rather than trying to fit into what you are surrounded by. That will be tough to do, but a good goal!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I don't work in fashion and I'm on MFP a lot so I'm bombarded by pics of model thin women and muscley women about equally. Neither affects my goals. I know what I want and work toward that. The fact that others want something else, or think I should want something else doesn't really matter at all to me.

While I value the opinions of my husband and daughters, my opinion of my body is most important.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    Agree you could have a role to play in changing things!

When I was a kid in the 80s, most models/actresses were white, blonde & light-eyed (thinking of Christie Brinkley, if anyone remembers her heydey). While there's still a long way to go in changing ideas around beauty, obv, there's at least a *slightly* broader imagination around ethnicity, and it's arguably partly due to the cultural impact made by individuals. (Thinking of Jennifer Lopez, Rihanna, Thandie Newton, Rashida Jones... I agree that these ladies still conform to 'white' beauty norms in many ways, but they've at least tweaked the boundaries a little.)

Re fitness: I think Jillian Michaels, whatever people think of her workouts, has had a great impact as far as promoting a vision of health and beauty. (Different thoughts about the show, but at least people are getting used to seeing muscles on a woman.)

I think you're right to look for support! Minimize time spent around manipulated images (I guess your off time) as much as poss, stay actively critical when you can't, and surround yourself with inspiring images.
  • lacewitch
    lacewitch Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    models are clothes hangers for clothes. thy are there to support the clothes.
    you however sound like you want to survive the zombie apocalypse - much better!
    :) good on you

i would advice as someone who ( as it was put last night) - has booty: to invest in a sewing machine - you can tailor jeans and trousers and skirts to fit - it fab! even jeans i am slowly altering my old jeans to fit - though be warned if you have hips and thighs taking in a the waist can cause them to be difficult to get up but once on they fit! :)

though i do recommend Levis curve jeans( even though i originally boycotted them as the models for the bold curve were not curvy! ) they are fab and are the first ever pair of jeans i don't have to make sure i am wearing nice knickers and a belt with!
  • kelseyhere
    kelseyhere Posts: 1,123 Member
    Options
    I find that even in fitness magazines the girls have unattainable bodies. Sure, they are healthy, but that's not what they look like most of the time. Pictures are only taken right before competition when they've hardly been eating. Most of the year they don't look like that. I think a woman with muscles is much sexier.

The other posters are right, most clothes just look better with skin and bones underneath. I just wish clothes were designed for real girls.
  • foxombie
    Options
    Thanks for all the positive messages, folks. Maybe as a fashion student (albeit a menswear one) this is something I need to look into changing..! Ah, big tasks.

I'm finding it so helpful to be in a community where there are people who have the same goals as me, the same outlook as me. It's great!

I'm going to try to spend less time looking at magazines etc. in my 'off time' and I'm definitely going to be putting some more inspirational pictures around me, and reading the threads here.

I make clothes - I should jolly well be able to make my own jeans that fit my butt!! :laugh: