Sugar

Options
So I just finished breakfast and put everything in the system.... I am already over my sugar for the day. I have things set at 40% carbs,30% protein and 30% fat since I am trying to increase my protein. Should I increase the amount of sugar it gives for the day? What is an ok amount to be having?

Replies

• myminnie2
    Options
    What did you eat for breakfast? I try to have a protein and a carb with each meal and snack. I try to eat 3 meals and 3 snacks/day. Not to eat more calories but to spread them out during the day. That keeps me from craving sweets. Perhaps you need to add a protein at breakfast. eg whole grain toast, peanut butter and skim milk. Be careful of cereals- they are loaded with carbs and sugars. Don't beleive the ads on TV. Look up the glycemic index and it will supply you with cereals that are better for you.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    No, the sugar amount should not be increased, but you can ignore the natural sugars consumed via fruit and vegetables. If you are over due to "other" sugars you may want to find a way to cut that back. Because of this tracking of sugar in fruit I choose not to monitor it, I look at Carbs, Protein, Fat, and Sodium as I feel sodium needs more attention than sugar.
  • wndln
    wndln Posts: 5
    Options
    Speaking of sugar, how does one curb cravings for sugar - when that's what one has used in the past for a quick energy pick up?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Speaking of sugar, how does one curb cravings for sugar - when that's what one has used in the past for a quick energy pick up?

I find after avoiding sugar for a period of time the craving will go away.
  • rvkirk
    rvkirk Posts: 37
    Options
    I had yogurt and berries for breakfast and my sugar was over! I try to limit the amount of added sugar in things and ignore the natural sugars in fruit and veg, that way I tend to stay in the green :)
    How to beat sugar cravings, well the longer I go with out the less the plague me but some times I will go with sweet fruit to curb them.
  • mrsvezeau
    mrsvezeau Posts: 30
    Options
    Here is what I had for breakfast: Both the milk and the toast put me over ... I drank the milk for the protein, toast for the carbs...

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    Hard Boiled Egg - Hard Boiled Egg, 1 egg
    Velda Farms - Skim Milk - Half Pint Carton, 1 Carton (236mL)
    Nestle - Coffee-Mate Hazelnut Concentrated Creamer, 1 tsp(pump)
    Bread - Whole-wheat, toasted, 2 slice
    Smuckers - Peanut Butter Individuals 3/4oz, 3/4 oz (One Individual Container)
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options

I find after avoiding sugar for a period of time the craving will go away.
    Ditto. I used to grab Mountain Dews all the time (they were my energy drinks). I haven't had one in 55 days and I don't miss it at all. I drink plenty of water and find that I don't really need a pick me up anymore!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options

Cut out sweets completely and limit other added sugars as much as possible. Replace the added sugars with a fruit you really enjoy- for me that's a daily banana and some low-sugar cereal.
  • wndln
    Options
    Thank you for the encouragement! If cold turkey has worked for others, surely it will work for me as well. LOL
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Here is what I had for breakfast: Both the milk and the toast put me over ... I drank the milk for the protein, toast for the carbs...

Coffee - Brewed from grounds, 2 cup (8 fl oz)
    Hard Boiled Egg - Hard Boiled Egg, 1 egg
    Velda Farms - Skim Milk - Half Pint Carton, 1 Carton (236mL)
    Nestle - Coffee-Mate Hazelnut Concentrated Creamer, 1 tsp(pump)
    Bread - Whole-wheat, toasted, 2 slice
    Smuckers - Peanut Butter Individuals 3/4oz, 3/4 oz (One Individual Container)

You don't have to worry too much about milk and fruit sugars, but you should try to keep added sugars (even in your bread) to a mininum.
  • wndln
    Options
    awesome, congrats!
  • myminnie2
    Options
    It looks likw you are realy doing well with your weight loss, perhaps you can break down your breakfast into a meal and a snack.

Breakfast- 1 egg,Protein
    1 toast, coffee with skim milk
    Snack - 2 whole wheat crackers with peanut butter
  • myminnie2
    Options
    It looks likw you are realy doing well with your weight loss, perhaps you can break down your breakfast into a meal and a snack.

Breakfast- 1 egg,Protein
  • myminnie2
    Options

Breakfast- 1 egg,Protein
  • myminnie2
    Options
    Sorry about all of the previous entries- i did not realize they were being sent !

You are really doing well with your wieght loss!

I would break the breaskfast into a meal and a snack and reduce portions abit- I don't have the option to count sugar so I go by carbohydrates.

Breakfast

1 egg(protein)- 0 carbs
    1 whole wheat toast with margarine- 16carbs
    coffee with skim milk and artificial sweetner maybe stevia( the creamer is 5 carbs)

Snack
    4 whole wheat crackers( triscut)- 13 carbs
    peanut butter 1 tbsp- - 3 carbs
    1/2 cup milk- 6 carbs ( you can have the other half with your afternoon snack
    celery or some raw vegetable - 1 carb

Total 39 carbs- your meal was approx 55 carbs- i would guess that you are allowed about 200 carbs/day?

The snack should keep you going til lunch

This is how I operate- not for everyone but i hope it helps you!!
  • atauds
    atauds Posts: 41
    Options
    if you have a craving for something sweet, try frozen seedless green grapes. put them in the freezer. whenever you have a craving for something sweet, just take a few from the freezer. these will certainly satisfy.