Frustrated ...need b-fast suggestions

Options
AKosky585
AKosky585 Posts: 607 Member
I am so frustrated right now. I woke up about 1 1/2 hours ago and am getting pretty hungry. Problem is, the people who I live with are asleep on the couch in the living room....at 9 am. Which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't get up at 4am every morning. They are both on vacation this week, and still get up at 4am...then go back to sleep on the couch for a few hours around 8 or so....and then will have another few hour nap around 2...

...anyways, these roommates eat very unhealthy. Breakfast food for them is mac n cheese, candy bars, doughnuts, sugary cereals such as cocoa puffs or cinn toast crunch. Every meal is fattening like this.

I bought some protein powder, different fruits and skim milk so I could make a breakfast smoothie that is low in fat, high in protien and just all around healthy to get me started for the day. Problem is, because they are asleep, I can't use the blender because it makes too much noise.

It is really important that I stay on track this week especially, because since they are home, I also can't do my usual workout. I can't use the treadmill because it makes too much noise and they can't hear the TV. I can't do my video because the are on the TV every waking hour that has enough room to do my videos (living room) until bedtime at 8pm, which I then have to be quiet the rest of the night.

Any suggestions for a healthy breakfast and also, for getting in some sort of exercise?

Sorry this is long...lol.

Replies

• HonestOmnivore
    HonestOmnivore Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple and eat the fruit and drink the milk!

I put 1/3 cup fruit on my 1/2 cup cottage cheese for a nice substantial breakfast that sticks with you!

Can you hard boil an egg?

Stir fiber cereal into yogurt (this one got me through Europe's carb based breakfasts!)

As for exercise it sounds like you're in an apartment? Can you go up and down the stairs? Get out for a walk and jog every few minutes? If they have kids or dogs they might be happy to have you walk them!
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    i eat South Beach Diet High Protein Cinnamon Raisin bars every morning. They are really good. Only 140 calories and have lots of vitamins too. I also eat a banana with it along with a diet green tea or water. Try eating a low fat bagel with fat free cream cheese. Special K cereals are really good too, with 1% or skim milk. Eggs and Toast. Or a protein shake that you can use in a shaker. Hope this helps.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    How about some yogurt? Maybe still eat the fruit, just not in a smoothie.

For exercise - can you go for a walk/run? I realize that you are in Ohio so the weather may not be good enough for you to go outside. What about going to the local mall and just walking inside?
  • mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,533 Member
    Options
    So sorry to hear! and also.. your roommates seem a bit inconsiderate (sp?) I don't drink shakes/smoothies so I dunno if this will work... can you make it the night before and put it in the freezer and then when you wake up bring it out til it's thawed. Otherwise, I'm a huge fan of multigrain cheeries and total, and you already have the skim milk. You also have the fruit as you posted. Fruit is a great way to start your day! Otherwise there's some great granola/power protein bars. Fiber oatmeal.. bagels, english muffins and so on. Good luck, and just remember it's just a week.
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    can you use the stove? if it's not too loud, my favourite breakfast is 1/2 cup egg whites, 1 cup spinach, 1/2 sliced tomato, all stuffed into an ezekiel wrap. Tons of protein, low fat, sprouted grains and super, super filling.
  • jwcrater31
    Options
    Also for exercise, try push-ups, crunches, lunges, squats, jumping jacks, butt kicks, stairs, jogging, also there are some really good videos you can try, you can get them at walmart, biggest loser videos or jillian michaels video. get you some 5 lbs hand weights.
  • kathylamb
    kathylamb Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey, explain that you still need to use the blender, they would understand! this is about your health, and if they care about you it'll be no big deal. You know what you need to do to stay on track.It's mental as well as anythng else! do you live in a place where you can walk outside? As long as you are doing something, it's better than nothing. Or, go to the mall and walk. If you push to do what you need to this week you may even make an impression on them, causing them to think about their unhealthy lifestyles. Or not. But who cares, as long as you are doing what you need to for yourself. There are plenty of good brkfst options. Low sugar oatmeal with walnust on top and some fruit, for instance. Where there's a will there's a way! Keep on truckin'!
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    Maybe for exercise you could do some strength stuff? Situps, pushups, planks, dips (using a chair). squats, lunges? They're quiet. Not much as far as cardio but great for resistance stuff. :)

Oops, sorry! I just read that someone had already suggested that. My bad!
  • mromnek
    mromnek Posts: 325
    Options
    I know this won't help for breakfast this morning... but cut up some green peppers and onions, put them in a tupperware bowl to keep in the fridge. In the morning, throw some of these in a frying pan with a splash of EVOO, and saute them, along with some mushrooms (and that spinach mentioned earlier sounds good too). Then put some eggs/egg whites in the frying pan and scramble them in with the veggies. Mix some chunky salsa in when the eggs are done, then slide the whole thing onto a Josephs Lavash wrap. It is out of this world, and it will keep you going past lunchtime.

As for exercise, here are some strength exercises... except they will probably disturb the sleeping roommates!!! Kick them off the couch, throw them out of house. When you finish the strength training, feel free to move on to aerobics!!!! :wink: :wink: :laugh:
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Eggs are pretty quiet. :tongue: Scramble an egg, add some veggies and put it on a whole grain tortilla with a little cheese. As far as execise, it sounds like you need to get out of the house!
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    I know this won't help for breakfast this morning... but cut up some green peppers and onions, put them in a tupperware bowl to keep in the fridge. In the morning, throw some of these in a frying pan with a splash of EVOO, and saute them, along with some mushrooms (and that spinach mentioned earlier sounds good too). Then put some eggs/egg whites in the frying pan and scramble them in with the veggies. Mix some chunky salsa in when the eggs are done, then slide the whole thing onto a Josephs Lavash wrap. It is out of this world, and it will keep you going past lunchtime.

That's what I'm talkin' about! :) Whenever I make my turkey meatloaf, I put half of the fried onions and red peppers in the fridge for my eggs the next day.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having a hard time! I've had bad roommates too- they're the worst!

Breakfast suggestions: I like instant oatmeal- if you make it with milk it's really creamy and delish. I also like to make a fruit & yogurt parfait with a little granola. I drink protein drinks after my workout that are already made. & I work out at a gym. Watching other people eat unhealthy makes me want to be unhealthy! Good for you that you're trying so hard to stick to it! I'm sure it's frustrating.

Good luck, lady! If it were me- I'd use the blender anyway and when they woke up would say "Sorry, I thought if you were sleeping you would be in YOUR BED!" :)
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options

As for exercise, here are some strength exercises... except they will probably disturb the sleeping roommates!!! Kick them off the couch, throw them out of house. When you finish the strength training, feel free to move on to aerobics!!!! :wink: :wink: :laugh:

LOL! Yeah, they seem a little bit inconsiderate to me as well. I know I always wake up one of my roommates with my morning smoothies, she'd sleep in past noon otherwise. Can't say I feel bad because she's always inviting people over and making loads of noise after11-12, when I would be sleeping, so it's a little immature on both our parts, but fair haha.

But seriously, YUMMIEST breakfast EVER, and the nutritionals are already on here as carrot cake oatmeal, because I used to have it every morning =p

Carrot Cake Oatmeal

1/4 cup Quaker 1 Minute OATS
    7 baby carrots, grated
    1 packet sweetener (I use Stevia)
    a good shake of cinnamon
    dash of vanilla extract
    25 raisins
    3/4 cup water (you might need more)

Throw it all in a sauce pan and cook till well done

"Icing"
    1 tbsp fat free cream cheese
    1 oz Almond Breeze Unsweetened Vanilla Milk

Drizzle over oatmeal

Add 4 chopped pecans, 2 tsp brown sugar, and a sprinkle of cinnamon on top.

Shouldn't be too noisy, and it tastes AMAZING!

*microwave cream cheese for like 20 sec, whisk in milk till smooth and creamy
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    IMO - Don't adjust your routine around them.
    Were you using the blender every morning before they were on vacation, then stick with your morning routines. They will have to get used to it. You mentioned that they go back to take a nap later, so if you woke them up for the few mins, while the blender was on, They'll catch up in their nap.

i agree with Brenda, sounds like you need to get out of the house if they are always on the TV.
  • pkgirrl
    pkgirrl Posts: 587
    Options
    PS its only like 203cal
  • jenniscottsmith
    Options
    bump
  • jenniscottsmith
    Options
    pkgirrl- where are the nutritionals. I'm new here but searched in the food database and didn't find it. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks.
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    pkgirrl- where are the nutritionals. I'm new here but searched in the food database and didn't find it. Am I looking in the wrong place? Thanks.

I can't find an entry for anything with carrot and oatmeal in the name except cookies or muffins, so I am betting the person that put it in didn't specify that it is available for other MFP users when it was originally entered. That would mean that poster is the only one who has access to it. Sounds good though.