Packing a Lunch

Options
2»

Replies

• 20tulipgirl20
    Options
    I really love Carob Bars (Goldies is the one I usually go for). For me, I find they taste at least a little bit like chocolate. I will also back some fruit; kiwi in particular as they are relatively high in fiber( the skin contains most of the fiber). And of course, the protein bar and water.
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    I pack salad a lot of the time. It's easy to make the night before and I can measure out the amount of dressing that I want to put on it. If that is what I pack then I usually also bring a 100 calorie pack of either the chips ahoy thin crisps or Oreo crisps, which would be a good thing for your sweet craving. I also occasionally pack sandwiches or I make wraps with tortillas, but I know that can get boring after a while.

I also found this articicle on Pinterest a while back and it gives you 30 days of healthy lunch ideas. Here's the link to the PDF file. I hope this helps some!

http://www.familyfreshcooking.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Project-Lunch-Box-30-Days-Family-Fresh-Cooking.pdf

I pack something to have about 1/2 way betwen breakfast and lunch, maybe a yogurt or some nuts, or some of the dried mango I have a giant bag of..

Lunch is often leftovers or some of what I cooked for my lunches for the week.

Afternoon snack is a cheese stick and a fruit. What kind of cheese stick and what kind of fruit often changes but it's always fruit and cheese.

In addition to being able to control my nutrition I'm not spending 50 dollars a week on lunches at work and instead about 5-10 dollars for the whole week.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch probably 4/5 days a week.

Breakdown of time:

8:00AM - Protein shake
    10:30AM - If I'm hungry, I eat a small snack, e.g. string cheese.
    12:30PM - Lunch
    3:45PM - Fage greek yogurt
    8:00PM - Dinner (at home)

I work out at home around 6PM almost every day, so having a snack at 3:45 is critical for me. I also run 3x a week at lunch, so if I do that I usually will eat lunch earlier and forgo my 10:30 snack (or have it later in the day!)

In terms of lunch meals, I like to eat a high protein/moderately low carb diet. I will almost always have a protein, fat, and under 15 grams of carbs for lunch. For example, I like to make burritos a lot - a whole wheat flax wrap, cheese, grilled chicken & whatever veggies I can find to put in. I also take a lot of chicken & salad, or leftovers from the night before. The key is to pack it up the night before so you can grab and go the next day!

Think about when you work out and try to have a snack 2 hours before that.... then you can fit the rest of your meals around it. I never go hungry during the day, but I try to look at work as an opportunity to eat the best that I can, unlike when I'm at home :) Good luck!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Mostly I take leftovers from dinner. Other options I like are wraps (big handful of leafy greens, a protein (fish, meat, egg, cheese, hummus, etc) and whatever else I choose), cottage cheese and veg/fruit on a bed of leafy greens, hummus or pb with veggie/apple slices.

I always keep cans of low sodium soup in my desk for days I forget my lunch. I usually have a low sodium V8 around 10-10:30 and eat lunch when I get hungry (usually somewhere around 12:30 - 1:30).

I workout after work so I have a snack around 3:30 - usually something like: hummus/pb with veg/apple slices, apple with dry roasted edamame, nuts or low sugar granola bar.
  • mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    My typical lunch box has 2 hardboiled eggs, yogurt, a banana (or other fruit), carrots, a small salad and either a sandwich or leftovers from dinner.
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I almost always pack my lunch. As others have said, leftovers are always good. I also try to have some kind of soup in the freezer (I make my own so alternatively you could buy some canned soup) to grab for a quick lunch. As a last resort I have some freezer meals in the freezer at work that I can grab if I really don't have any other choice.

I also agree with others who have said to bring snacks, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, fruit, etc. :)

Sooooo much cheaper and better for you to bring your luch with you! :)
  • seashell99z
    seashell99z Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I eat breakfast and lunch at work.

7:00 oatmeal with frozen fruit
    AM smack cheese stick and sometimes hardboiled egg
    11:30 soup and apple or banana
    Afternoon snack yogurt
  • christina1d
    christina1d Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I usually try to have a banana for breakfast and then leftovers from dinner for lunch. I have been told eating something citrus like an orange helps curb the sweet tooth but I like to have a small piece of chocolate.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I pack a morning snack (veggies w/ yogurt dip), a lunch (soup or salad plus protein), and an afternoon snack (almonds), and 56 ounces of water.
  • msrootitooti
    msrootitooti Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I try to pack and end up doing it 3-4 times a week. I usually pack a salad or a sandwich. I keep Gazebo Greek dressing at my desk. Since it is olive oil based it does not need to be refrigerated. I keep snacks at my desk like almonds, Luna bars, dark chocolate, popcorn in case I need a snack, but usually pack snacks too. Usually my day looks like this

8:15 hard boiled egg, piece of toast, oatmeal, or banana
    10:00 Greek yogurt
    12;00 lunch
    3:00 hummus/veggies, almonds, Luna bar, or string cheese...

Hope this helps.
  • BCSMama
    BCSMama Posts: 348
    Options
    I usually have a mid morning snack around 10 am of either .5 oz of unsalted peanuts or some homemade granola.

Lunch is usually leftovers from dinner, but if there were no leftovers, it's either a salad with salsa dressing and some kind of protein (beans, chicken, tuna, etc.) or a wrap with either hummus or guacamole and veggies. I also always have a fruit.

Afternoon snack around 3:00 is usually crackers and hummus or guacamole and a fruit.

I also drink a ton of water at work and have a cup of green tea after lunch.
  • simplyeater
    simplyeater Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I pack my lunch everyday so I'm kinda a pro at it:) I usually do leftovers of some sort, or fixings for a salad or burrito. And some fresh fruit...whatever is in season. Lunch tends to be my biggest meal of the day. I eat around 12:30 and I'm not a snacker so that's it until dinner. Today it was mixed greens (with dried cranberries, maple walnuts and balsamic vinegar), homemade potato corn chowder, and some sourdough bread. Oh and water...lots of water.
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I usually bring a salad to work for me since it's so fast to make the night before and I can just stick it in the fridge. I'll usually throw in some strawberries or blueberries into it for some sweetness. If you crave sweets, I'd say the best option is to bring fruit (apples are my favorite and they keep hunger at bay for me) but if you run out or can't for some reason, I'll have some sugar free, flavored gum. And if you don't want/ have to drop soda then I'd say try diet sodas. When the mood strikes, I like to have a Sprite Zero-- tastes the same but no sugar (and the artificial sweetener doesn't bother me) but usually I'll have some tea with a little agave nectar or stevia sweetener if water just isn't cutting it. I try to eat around 12-2 pm.
  • jilliew
    jilliew Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    i need tips on packing a lunch for work. I find that i really crave sweets at work, I'm always looking for a soda or a chocolate bar.

I never know how much to pack, and what to eat when, any ideas? what do you pack and what time do you eat it?

If you crave sweets, pack a lot of fruit - apples and peanut butter is one of my all time fav things to beat a sweet craving. And pack lots of food if you are worried about getting hungry, just pack healthy stuff like veggies to munch on throughout the day. You will eventually figure it out after a week or two.