Good eating during the day, bad at night

Options

Replies

• sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    I am bad at night. I used to force myself to eat breakfast even though I wasn't hungry, but now I just save those calories because I know I would rather have them at night.

And this...
  • sarahg148
    Options
    I've been having this problem as well. I notice the more tired I am the worse my self control is. Get more sleep, go to bed earlier, move the TV away from the food, make yourself tea, brush your teeth, put in teeth whiteners, paint your nails, just stay busy is the key.

Aaaand this too
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    This used to be a big problem for me. Still is from time to time.

My wife called it boredom eating. I think that she is probably right!

Now, I work out in the evenings so the opportunity is not there. And, when I am home in the evenings, I try to reach for healthy snacks. (Not always successfully though!)
  • heathercicle
    heathercicle Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on what you are eating. If you are having a calorie heavy dinner, then work to change the foods you prepare (assuming you have control over that). If it's not calorie heavy but you still have a lot of calories, then maybe it's your portion sizes. If it's not dinner but snacking, work on switching to healthier snacks. I tried to look at your diary to give more personalized advice but it is not available. I hope this helps!
  • stpetegirl
    Options
    I am having this problem right now too! The advice I keep getting is more protein and natural fibers during the day and to drink more water! I've tested the water theory, and if I drink close to a gallon of water, I don't want to snack, but the problem is, I don't hit my calories either! But I guess better to be under than to go over because of eating crappy food at night!! I'm still looking for ways to have more control over this bad eating, that I am sure is part of my old binge eating habit.
  • sarahg148
    Options
    Now for my own words...

I noticed for me, that if I plan out my day and have a snack around 9pm and stay BUSY at night...then I don't get the cravings as much. I'm also a night owl and lately have been going to sleep no earlier than 1am. I have a pretty flexible schedule so I'm also all over the place with when I can eat and exercise. I try to not workout too close to bed because then I'll be up until 3am. I also don't keep too many trigger foods in the house. If I'm truly hungry then an apple should be appetizing. If not, then I know I'm not really hungry...I just want to eat to pass the time. :\
  • monmedrano
    Options
    it also happens to me. I think that during the day ur bussy with work, kids, school, etc and u don't have time to think of craving, but when u are relaxed at home maybe watching some tv, ur body realize that he might eat a little more, specially if during the day he didn't have anought calories. It might help to keep busy until you get to sleep, do not have any junk food at home (so you won't get up at midnight and it's difficult to go out to the store...), instead, have some healthy low calorie food in ur fridge, ir u r really hungry you'd eat anything right? do some excercise before you sleep, it will help to don't feel hungry and even if u are, you'll feel "sporty" and won't eat... you can also have a huge sald :) Hope it helps :D
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes! I overcame by sticking low calorie during the day and making sure to exercise. I eat a normal supper and 1 to 2 snacks at night. Of course I have "planned" snacks that fit into my daily allowance calorie wise readily available at night. Good luck!
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue. I think its bc I have limited food at work, and at home I have tons. Plus I'm sitting and relaxing...so I wanna snack.
  • LoveAlwaysAlisa
    LoveAlwaysAlisa Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I do!!!! There's something about that gap of time between dinner and bed that makes me BINGE. It's a horrible habit for me. I'm getting better by letting myself have SOMETHING...but sometimes I can't help myself and overdo it, or sometimes I just completely give in and run to a fast food spot for late night "junk". Did it Friday actually...ordered Dominos and ate over half the pizza myself!! Took 3 days to drop the water weight from all the sodium!!! Back on track again but it's TOUGH!! One day at a time......:smile:
  • Tualla
    Tualla Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Ditto: Momofthreeson. I do exactly the same thing on the days that I am really focused.
  • ash012
    ash012 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I exercise right after I get off work so that I'm not home alone. Or if I get home before my husband, I'll go right outside and do something until he gets home and we eat supper right away. Thats the only way I find I'm able to control my evening hunger.
  • guardian419
    guardian419 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I have this issue frequently. I've found if I eat more at work in a "controlled" environment, I do ok. However, I've been in the habit of skipping lunch, and well... when I get home it's a race to find the fastest food because I'm about to chew on my leather boots hoping for steak.
  • mininipuce
    mininipuce Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Same problem here...I'll try to change my habbits this week: I'm planning healthy snacks for when I get from work (this is the crucial moment). Otherwise, I'm not hungry after dinner.
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    This vvas probably not the easiest way to stop the evening splurging but, I was in that same rut. I decided to make a plan and stick with it. Giving myself something other than sitting on the couch and cleaning the kitchen out (literally). I started with our bathroom. Clean the linen closet out and relined the shelves. Then the washer and dryer area (which is in the master bath) I cleaned it out and even gave it a freah coat of paint. Then I cleaned out the cabinets under the sinks. Then cleaned everything really good. Then I went to our bedroom. Closets, dressors, under the bed. If I didn't wear it or use it is now at Goodwill or Christian Ministries. My next thing to accomplish is pulling everything out of each kitchen cabinet and closets! It has helped me and given me a focus on something other than eating! Took all the clothes I couldn't wear any more and organized what I had left to clothes I could wear and clothes I'll be able to get into soon. Hope this is helpful!
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I am in the group no Late Night Snacking (junk).
    we were all prone to stuffing our faces (for me with anything sweet) but with the support of each other we are all not eating unhealthy snacks more often than not.

I am never hungry when i do it. It is boredom or stress or just a bad habit. I stopped eating on the sofa in front of the tv last year. that helped a lot. Now I have cut out tv watching too.

After dinner its just fruit teas and water. I go to bed feeling happier with myself and looking forward to breakfast :laugh:
  • theresmynapkin
    theresmynapkin Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I am the same way. I think it's because during the day, while at work, I have limited access to food. Plus I bring my lunch and snacks with me, so everything is planned out and I'm able to stick to my plan.

Once I get home, it's like a free-for-all in my kitchen, OMG, look at all this food! I'm trying to stay in the mindset of sticking to a plan. Also, staying out of/away from the kitchen helps too. If I'm involved in some sort of project in the evening, it keeps my mind off of what I could possibly be snacking on at the moment...

^^ THIS!! I printed off inspirational fitness quotes about food such as, "eat to live, don't live to eat" and "the difference between want and need is self control" and stuck them on the fridge! hopefully this will make me think twice before mindlessly moving the food into the living room and munching for hours while blankly staring at the TV. That's another issue. I've linked mindless munching with television, and I've got to work on disassociating the two. I just don't feel complete having the tv on without snacks!! Not good!!
  • maggie1961
    Options
    I have this problem but it is mostly in the afternoon, starting around 4:00pm. I think my body and brain is used to having a snack fest at this time, and the desire to eat doesn't seem to stop once I start - I can't get satisfied. It is a combination of stress relief and hunger, and it can definitely turn in to a binge.

I have started a "break-time", drinking a cup of green tea (a particular brand I love is Stassen, which I purchase from oriental grocery stores. I add a little stevia). I am trying to "switch" my brain's desire for food to this ritual - I really enjoy it (a positive reinforcement); It is very comforting and soothing, which I think helps with unwinding/stress. It is not totally denying myself from food or drink - I look forward to this time in the day, much like a "tea time" or coffee break. I am also trying to eat a planned protein such as a string cheese or an ounce or so of good deli meat plus maybe some fruit.

What I'm trying to do is re-program my brain/habits to something better - and, of course, it has to be something that I still enjoy and feels like a reward. Perhaps this strategy will help with your night eating? Create some ritual that you really enjoy that can help de-program the night binging habit.
  • mistinemarie
    mistinemarie Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was doing insanity and not losing any weight, then the doctor told me that I had to up my calories if I was doing P90X and/or insanity. the weight and inches came rolling off. Good luck. Its a great program.
  • BurkYoung
    Options
    This is the story of my life. I'll be good all day and then binge at night. It is just a matter of self control. sometimes I have it sometimes I don't.

Exactly right... just try your BEST to have control more often than not... I always tell myself that if I "blow it" (whatever "it" is) that I am simply WASTING the hard work I did to loose the pound or two pounds I may gain from binging...

One thing you can do is eat something that is filling and not horrible the SPLIT SECOND you start to loose control...

Another trick I do is to have a savory food that I can eat a small portion of and get the most flavor bang for the buck... my personal choice is Stilton Blue Cheese... yes its high in fat but when you can eat an ounce or less and make it last for an hour or so... its pretty good calorie bargain in my book :-)

You can also get on here and look for support !!!!! By the way anyone feel free to add me :-) the more the merrier !!!