New to food processor

Options
So I have wanted a food processor for ever, and I am FINALLY going to get one today. And of course now I cannot remember a single recipe that I wanted to use it for. Please send me all of your favortie food processor recipes! I am don't eat a whole lot of meat but I do enjoy fish. Lets hear em!!!

Replies

• Hollybot2
    Options
    *crickets*
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Hummus!

1 can of garbanzo beans, drained
    1 or 2 tbs tahini (I use the tahini sauce from Trader Joe's)
    garlic clove (or two, depending on your taste and the size of the cloves)
    lemon juice (I squeeze a half lemon in there, taste & squeeze the other half if needed)
    Run the food processor & drizzle some olive oil in while it's running
    Stop & give it a taste, add more lemon, garlic, tahini, olive oil if needed, salt & pepper to taste, and blend some more until it's nice and smooth.
  • litaita
    litaita Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I do a variant of no-noodle lasagna. The food processor dices up the zucchinis and eggplant pretty well!

Here's an example (but I don't pre-cook the veggies) http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/weight-watchers-no-noodle-vegetable-lasagna
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I tried to make hummus once and it was a disaster. I hope it works for you! I use my food processor to make homemade bread crumbs or chop nuts and things to use in recipes. Tonight I am making this: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/almond_crusted_chicken_fingers.html. Never had it before but sounds good and requires a food processor.
  • kimmymayhall
    kimmymayhall Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I use my food processor a lot to make hummus, tzaziki, and other vegetable dips/spreads/sauces. Its good for chopping things and if you've got a blade attachement you can shred cheese or vegetables nicely. I've seen some bread recipes using a food processor for mixing the dough, but I have a stand mixer for that. I just made peanut butter in my food processor, delicious and crazy easy.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Processed food is evil. You should only eat whole foods.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I use mine for salsa, pepper sauces, mixing dough, slicing veggies. Hubby uses it to make his protein shakes.
  • IslandRider
    Options
    I do a variant of no-noodle lasagna. The food processor dices up the zucchinis and eggplant pretty well!

Here's an example (but I don't pre-cook the veggies) http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/weight-watchers-no-noodle-vegetable-lasagna

Thanks for posting this! Definitely will try it.:flowerforyou:
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I use mine to make salsa, sour kraut, slaw, shred cheese, chop onions, Get one with a large mouth! It's worth the extra money! I couldn't imagine not having one!
  • craigy_84
    craigy_84 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Tear free diced onion!
  • alane15
    alane15 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use mine to puree soup ingredients and make guacamole!
  • Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I use mine for EVERYTHING. Today, i used it to powder coco brand pop cakes to make low low low cal FLOUR for a pie crust, and i also dusted some oats to add in.... I will soon use it to puree the pumpkin i will put on the crust!

Also, i puree dried fruits qwith a teeeeny bit of water and some sugar free fat free hot chocolate mix to make some bangin raw cookies! sometimes i roll them in oats after...

Also, i use it to puree frozen fruits into sorbet... i recently tried frozen pineapple and mango and it came out AMAZING. 200 cals per QUART of sorbet!

My FP made everything about my new style of eating and cooking, better. i use it everyday almost...
  • Elainejk21
    Elainejk21 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    A tip on making hummus.. If you have the time, take the skin off of all the garbanzo beans before you puree in the food processor. The consistency is much closer to store bought vs. a grainy texture.
  • Hollybot2
    Options
    Thank you all!!! I'm looking for a good one. I went to the store and I realized I had no clue what I wanted. So now off to do some research! I am looking at the Black & Decker 8 or 12 cup
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    So I have wanted a food processor for ever, and I am FINALLY going to get one today. And of course now I cannot remember a single recipe that I wanted to use it for. Please send me all of your favortie food processor recipes! I am don't eat a whole lot of meat but I do enjoy fish. Lets hear em!!!

Don't get one! It processes your food and makes it unclean and not very good for you, as all processed foods are bad
  • Hollybot2
    Options

Don't get one! It processes your food and makes it unclean and not very good for you, as all processed foods are bad

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does chopping a vegetable into smaller pieces or blending a few fruits together make it worse for you?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Maybe I'm missing something, but how does chopping a vegetable into smaller pieces or blending a few fruits together make it worse for you?

It's processed. You're supposed to stay away from processed foods. You should only eat clean WHOLE foods.
  • erinmick2
    erinmick2 Posts: 32 Member
    Options

It's processed. You're supposed to stay away from processed foods. You should only eat clean WHOLE foods.

Still confused... How is using a food processor to chop vegetables any different than using a knife to chop vegetables? Or your teeth to bite and chew them? I can understand that the fresh, whole ingredients that were chopped up might lose some nutritional value after a period of time, but why stay away from it?
  • violet976
    violet976 Posts: 310 Member
    Options

Still confused... How is using a food processor to chop vegetables any different than using a knife to chop vegetables? Or your teeth to bite and chew them? I can understand that the fresh, whole ingredients that were chopped up might lose some nutritional value after a period of time, but why stay away from it?

I'm confused on this as well. I'm not sure how chopping or blending foods up changes them into anything unhealthy, but I'd love for someone to elaborate.
  • tlp148
    tlp148 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

I'm confused on this as well. I'm not sure how chopping or blending foods up changes them into anything unhealthy, but I'd love for someone to elaborate.

Maybe my thinking is a little fuzzy at the end of a work day but I think we are still talking about WHOLE foods, just "processed" on our own counter top to use in our own recipes. Not processed and pulled from a can or cardboard box. I see no difference in using the processor or the knife in food prep. I use both methods and look forward to trying some of the suggestions here.