Clean eating and staying focused

Options
I have observed that when I eat relatively clean, healthy foods, I am able to focus better. Not only on health and fitness, but at work and in life in general. When I eat a bunch of crappy processed stuff, it seems that I lack the ability to stay focused, am scatter brained and have very little motivation. I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect though, because I admit that when I am feeling this lack of focus and motivation, I am more likely to make poor diet choices. Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on the subject. Do you notice this same pattern? Do you think the lack of focus and motivation causes the poor eating, or the other way around?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I have observed that when I eat relatively clean, healthy foods, I am able to focus better. Not only on health and fitness, but at work and in life in general. When I eat a bunch of crappy processed stuff, it seems that I lack the ability to stay focused, am scatter brained and have very little motivation. I'm not sure which is the cause and which is the effect though, because I admit that when I am feeling this lack of focus and motivation, I am more likely to make poor diet choices. Just wondering if anyone else has thoughts on the subject. Do you notice this same pattern? Do you think the lack of focus and motivation causes the poor eating, or the other way around?

Maybe it's the placebo effect
  • EatClenTrenHard
    EatClenTrenHard Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    hey OP. this is placebo effect. i believe you are trying to make yourself feel that way because it motivates you to eat "clean"

what do you consider clean diet.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    hey OP. this is placebo effect. i believe you are trying to make yourself feel that way because it motivates you to eat "clean"

what do you consider clean diet.

cake
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Poor eating =/= 'unclean' food and good eating =/= 'clean' food necessarily.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

I was the most obese when I was 100% organic. Too much clean food makes you just as fat as too much junk food. It really is about calories. I tell people this all the time and they say "Well if calories are all that matter why do you eat so clean???!!" Well, because it makes me feel better, sleep better, and perform better at my sports.

Being on a calorie deficit is hard. You can't do this journey on will power alone. You must set up your environment for success. Have a team around you in your real life, not just online. Get trigger foods out of the house. It will take some sacrifice and it's not easy. You might have to say no to some social events sometimes.

Too many changes at once can be hard on some people. I've always eaten healthy so it easy for me to simply eat less. Eating at a calorie deficit is hard on people; even a small deficit puts your body in a state of flux with hormones and such. Everyone is different. Some people can handle a deeper calorie deficit than others, this is not right or wrong, it just is. Stress in your life affects your hunger hormones; lack of sleep, fatigue, job stress, family stress, financial stress, etc. Add in emotional eating issues and it gets even more complicated. Most people can only handle so much change/stress at once, they try to do too much and fail. Sometimes it might be a better strategy to eat at maintenance and make some small changes first, it really depends on how much stress you are taking in at the moment.

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    For me a clean diet includes very little restaurant food, mostly home cooked meals prepared with fresh ingredients: meats, vegetables and spices (I try to stay away from premade sauces). I agree that it could be "the placebo effect" as you say, but is that such a bad thing? I think that was essentially the point of my post: what is the relationship between my diet and my mental well-being/

ETA: I am not on a calorie deficit and not trying to lose weight. My main reasoning for controlling my diet is because I have Crohn's disease and have noticed significant improvements in my digestive health when I eat less "processed" food. Of this I am certain. I am just wondering if the effects are mental as well.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

I have noticed the same and i think its more likely due to your sugar/salt intake than it is processed foods. just my opinion though.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    For me a clean diet includes very little restaurant food, mostly home cooked meals prepared with fresh ingredients: meats, vegetables and spices (I try to stay away from premade sauces).

You are going to the wrong restaurants. Good restaurants prepare fresh food made from fresh ingredients.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    For me a clean diet includes very little restaurant food, mostly home cooked meals prepared with fresh ingredients: meats, vegetables and spices (I try to stay away from premade sauces). I agree that it could be "the placebo effect" as you say, but is that such a bad thing? I think that was essentially the point of my post: what is the relationship between my diet and my mental well-being/

ETA: I am not on a calorie deficit and not trying to lose weight. My main reasoning for controlling my diet is because I have Crohn's disease and have noticed significant improvements in my digestive health when I eat less "processed" food. Of this I am certain. I am just wondering if the effects are mental as well.

I have IBD, and since I have changed to a cleaner diet, I have NO DOUBT that my digestive system is WAY happier! I also sleep better, have a ton more energy, and fantastic skin!
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

Maybe it's the placebo effect

Yup yup yup!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    Options
    For me a clean diet includes very little restaurant food, mostly home cooked meals prepared with fresh ingredients: meats, vegetables and spices (I try to stay away from premade sauces).

I was working in franchised high end casual restaurant, (the place where guys bring their new dates to show off and try their luck) and the food there is made from scratch from fresh produce. In the end of the process the food is superb and looks nothing like it was made from scratch.

Alot of restaurants cook from scratch since it saves money. So restaurant is a very clean food. Usualy "cleaner" than "homefood"

maybe its just that you are avoiding gluten foods that make you feel very good and motivated. happy for you.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

You are going to the wrong restaurants. Good restaurants prepare fresh food made from fresh ingredients.

Clearly. I should have qualified that . Where I live, chain restaurants and fast food restaurants out number the "good" ones by about 10 to 1, so it is not often that I get to eat at a "good" restaurant.
  • meljane28
    Options
    I can't believe how many negative posts there are about this! Totally agree, when you eat crappy you feel crappy, thus having less motivation and energy! Keep up the great work!
  • EatClenTrenHard
    Options

Clearly. I should have qualified that . Where I live, chain restaurants and fast food restaurants out number the "good" ones by about 10 to 1, so it is not often that I get to eat at a "good" restaurant.

Please read my previous post.
    Chain restaurants isnt any worse or better than "good" ones.

Would you like to sample some fine french cuisine with lard infused risotto?

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    So your diet is either all "clean" or "a bunch of crappy processed foods?"

Have you tried something in the middle?
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    In his book, Wheat Belly, Dr Davis claims that brain fog and inability to focus is a direct result of eating wheat. At least it was for him. No true research backs it up. But his experience counts because it is his. All sorts of foods and ingredients have effects on our bodies and minds. We have to be detectives and find what's best for our own self. Not everyone is exactly the same.

I looked at your food diary for a few days. It is the healthiest diary I've seen on MFP.
  • Jester522
    Options
    Poor eating =/= 'unclean' food and good eating =/= 'clean' food necessarily.

^This.

Although there are plenty of biochemical happenings from food which will contribute to poor cognitive ability not all with "eating dirty." There are plenty of ways to ruin your mental well-being while "eating clean."
    1) Trans fatty acids block neuroreceptors ability to uptake signaling molecules and decrease production of grey matter.
    2) Sugar has a bi-polar like effect and can lead to chronic depression.

But careful when "eating clean."
    3) Too little protein causes atrophy and continually low levels of tryptophan burnout dopamine receptors and lower seratonin synthesis.
    4) Too low fat intake can adversely affect endocrine function and dull brain signaling to the body.

Fire_Rock... define eating clean. I see nothing wrong with whole fat milk and cottage cheese.
  • Kaydana123
    Kaydana123 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You could be better hydrated, you could be consuming more of the nutrients associated with increased concentration, you could be eating foods that are digested more slowly so you're not getting dips in how much energy you feel you have, you could be consuming nutrients that you need that your "junk" diet lacks. Or it could just be the placebo effect. There are any number of possible reasons. It could be one reason, it could be a combination of a whole number of them.

At the end of the day, all that really matters is that it works for you.
  • blakejohn
    blakejohn Posts: 1,129 Member
    Options
    I like to live in moderation
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on it - as long as I'm not living off poptarts, cheeseburgers, french fries, Oreos and Lays (and yes, I did used to live off these things), I feel good, mentally & physically.

I eat a combination of processed & "clean" foods. I might have a serving of peanuts (clean) or a Kashi protein bar (processed) as a snack. I may have a sandwich on whole wheat bread that I made myself (which is still technically made of processed ingredients) or a grilled chicken sandwich from a fast food place. Either way if it's not loaded with saturated fat, sugar, & refined carbs, then I feel excellent.

I guess I can understand the obsession with clean eating. But I personally feel like there are lots of processed foods that are healthy (in my opinion) and make me feel great too.