Getting rid of Stomach fat/weight

Options
what is the best exercise or strategy to get rid of your stomach fat/weigh off your stomach? It is my biggest issue/concern and need to focus on getting rid of it so i can tone up from there; any advice would be great :)

Replies

• loliblullama
    loliblullama Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately there is no way to spot reduce your fat. You just have to reduce your overall body fat %

I have exactly the same issue :tongue:
  • JasonDetwiler
    JasonDetwiler Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit and do a strength training program that focuses on barbell training with progressive overload, complimented by cardio.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Eat at a caloric deficit and do a strength training program that focuses on barbell training with progressive overload, complimented by cardio.

Best advice. The end.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    stomach fat will probably be the last to go as a female. i've lost almost 50lbs and it's only now that my abs are flat (thanks JM!) and i feel like my stomach fat is finally decreasing.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    what is the best exercise or strategy to get rid of your stomach fat/weigh off your stomach? It is my biggest issue/concern and need to focus on getting rid of it so i can tone up from there; any advice would be great :)

Just a calorie deficit. That is all. Exercise is just to make your lean body mass pretty for when the fat is gone (especially weight lifting). An all body workout will give you great abs. Ab work makes my abs more defined and thicker and nothing more. Nothing makes them show except losing the fat. Calories calories calories. :)

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    When anyone finds out let me know. I am at 20% Body Fat, work out 5 days a week and still have a little roll around my waist that will not budge!!!! I call it my granny roll. :laugh:
  • amann1976
    amann1976 Posts: 742 Member
    Options
    it goes beyond a caloric deficit... if you want to rid your body of fat especially belly fat you have to eliminate or cut back on your sugars... cut out the sodas and the sweets and yes that includes diet soda too because those have sugars in them. mostly chemical sugars but they are still sugars. anything on the ingredient list that ends in "OSE" is usually a type of sugar.

focus on your lean proteins and your green veggies and over time you will begin to see results.

just remember it didnt take you a month or two to develop that gut so it wont take a month or two to get rid of it.

be sure to add strength training so you skin will bounce back properly too
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Just a calorie deficit. That is all. Exercise is just to make your lean body mass pretty for when the fat is gone (especially weight lifting). An all body workout will give you great abs. Ab work makes my abs more defined and thicker and nothing more. Nothing makes them show except losing the fat. Calories calories calories. :)

Your body loses weight in chunks, not linear. I have found that you can do everything right and your weight loss seems to plateau but if you are patient and keep exercising and eating at a deficit (however slight) you will lose it, it will suddenly "whoosh". There are so many variables for the scale; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.

Losing weight requires tremendous patience. You will not lose it when you want it or where you want it. The body does its thing. Some apparent plateaus can last a month or so. You cannot make it happen faster. You must focus on two things; calories and exercise. Nothing else matters. Scales and metrics don't matter. The day in and day out grind of exercise and calories are all that matters. It is not very exciting until things fall into place. You get your victories and you ride one victory to the next.

The scale is a trend tool. The scale is good but put it away and only check once a week and only use it as a trend tool. It will fluctuate, it does not matter. Take front side and back progress pictures at least once a month. You will see differences that the metrics won't tell you and it's that little bit of NSV that will keep you going until the next victory.

Great advice!
  • Kelly_Runs_NC
    Kelly_Runs_NC Posts: 474 Member
    Options

My biggest success in getting my abs to start showing was a caloric deficit and strength training. Oh and patients!! It took a while to lose that last bit of fat. Stick it out and it will eventualy come off.
  • Lulu4597
    Lulu4597 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Thanks Everyone! Great advice! Getting myself on a strict diet is key here and being under calories also. and water. I appreciate your help. :)
  • bfitgirl
    bfitgirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    It is an area where cortisol (stress hormone) shows up if you get your bodyfat measured by the biosignature method (using callipers). I don't know what your exercise regime is but I would cut out the long cardio and switch to weight resistance x 3 times a week and rest plenty inbetween. Maybe a short run if you can't live without it but scale down to once/twice a week.
  • doug4018
    doug4018 Posts: 130
    Options

There is no better or more accurate advice than this post!