Working out as a full time worker

Options
Hello everyone,

I've recently started a new job where I'm on my feet all day/up and down flights of stairs, I get home and feel so tired and achey so working out at night always feels so hard to do!

I recently wore a pedometer for a couple of weeks and I'm averaging 14 thousand steps per day (this is just the steps I take at work).

Should I be worrying about working out through the week or is it ok to just do a couple of hours at the weekend?

thanks

Replies

• LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    It's up to you.

A calorie deficit is all you need to lose weight. Exercise isn't required. But exercise (specifially strength training) is what makes you look good naked, so it's a priority to me!! :laugh:

It may seem hard to add exercise into your new routine, but if you start off slow and committ to a couple of weeks, you might find that you have more energy for your job and you'll feel better too.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If the lower body is taken care of, can you include some brief upper body and core stuff.

Pushups until you can't do any. Dips, pullups.
    Situps, planks, ect.

Those things will actually help you not feel so worn out.

Later when weight is down and legs aren't so dead from just constant movement, may enjoy adding other stuff.

Plus there is this thing some people talk about called a weekend, not sure what that is though.

Side point, have you corrected your Activity Level in MFP so you are eating correctly for your new level of activity?
    That would leave you tired and wornout too, undereating.
  • AnnieEsme
    AnnieEsme Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I think I just feel guilty on my own body for not properly working out, I used to be at the gym a couple of times a week but just don't feel motivated enough now.

I'm pretty much wanting to know what others think. I am walking loads through the day so its not like I'm sat around but never get sweaty/out of breath.

I have lost weight since starting this job so I guess the walking is doing something!
  • AnnieEsme
    Options
    Yes I have edited it, that was one of the first things I did :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I think I just feel guilty on my own body for not properly working out, I used to be at the gym a couple of times a week but just don't feel motivated enough now.

I'm pretty much wanting to know what others think. I am walking loads through the day so its not like I'm sat around but never get sweaty/out of breath.

I have lost weight since starting this job so I guess the walking is doing something!

Sure you are. Probably easily burning 2x what you were sitting. That's massive. And stairs is great workout. Sprint up them and you just had mini-interval session. Don't run down them though.
  • StinkyWinkies
    StinkyWinkies Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I walk a lot at my job, a waitress told me she did that runners stretch before she started work and it helped with the leg/feet pains...I do this as well and notice a difference when I forget.

1. Place both hands on a wall with arms extended.

2. Lean against wall with one leg bent forward and the other leg extended back with knee straight and foot facing forward.

3. Keep the heel of your rear foot on that floor.

4. Feel the stretch in the calf of that leg, and hold 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat with the opposite leg.

calfstretch.jpg

From http://running.about.com/od/stretchesforrunners/a/calfstretch.htm
  • AnnieEsme
    Options
    Sure you are. Probably easily burning 2x what you were sitting. That's massive. And stairs is great workout. Sprint up them and you just had mini-interval session. Don't run down them though.

I already do some sprints up. I guess I'm already on track. I might leave it a little while to get used to this level of activity then maybe start mixing the gym/swimming back into my routine.

Thanks!
  • ceceoplaymate
    ceceoplaymate Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    WOW that is a lot of steps, I would be starving all day. SO kudos to you! I agree with some other MFP stated that upper body strength and abs! Seems as though you are very active everyday
  • AnnieEsme
    Options
    I walk a lot at my job, a waitress told me she did that runners stretch before she started work and it helped with the leg/feet pains...I do this as well and notice a difference when I forget.

1. Place both hands on a wall with arms extended.

2. Lean against wall with one leg bent forward and the other leg extended back with knee straight and foot facing forward.

3. Keep the heel of your rear foot on that floor.

4. Feel the stretch in the calf of that leg, and hold 15 to 30 seconds. Repeat with the opposite leg.

calfstretch.jpg

From http://running.about.com/od/stretchesforrunners/a/calfstretch.htm

Ooo, good idea! Thanks
  • Sjudit84
    Sjudit84 Posts: 24 Member
    Options

Plus there is this thing some people talk about called a weekend, not sure what that is though.

Quote of the week!!! :D:D:D:D

To the thread starter: I feel you! I have started a new job and I have noooo time to work out. I get up earlier (and then I am done all day from being sleepy) so I wont miss a workout in the evening or skip it....but still my calorie intake is bigger since I have started my job bcs of the awkward schedule...so my regular workouts aren't enough....but when I get home, I really cannot bring myself to do a second workout...but if I eat less at work, i cannot focus....damn....of course you could say I should eat lower cal foods but this job just started and I have no money til the next payday (and even then most of the money will go towards my school and rent). Of course one can say I should not try to save on healthy food but...I have to...at least til I graduate....-.-
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    I work full time, have a daughter, a baby on the way, and a fiancee who works nights and goes to school. So I'm essentially the mom and the dad most days.

I still train with weights 4-6 times per week.

If you have goals, make time to work on them.
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    When i have similar issues, it's usually because 1) I'm not eating enough, or 2) I'm not eating enough carbohydrates (I crave protein when tired but it never is the cure), or 3) I'm not sleeping enough. But in your case it just sounds like you're not used to it. If you still want to get a workout in, I'd do it first thing in the morning. Lately, with the days getting shorter (I'm in the northern hemisphere), running when I get home in the evenings is the last thing I want to do. Getting up early is easier for me, I just put on my running cloths before my brain is fully on. Then I feel silly changing out of them without at least getting in a few miles, and by the time I'm warmed up I remember that I like running and realize I'm having fun, so I can finish the intended distance.

New job is stress, though, good or bad, it's exhausting without the 14k steps - watch your nutrition, eat your veggies, and get sleep!

(and congratz on the new job!)
  • bradphil87
    bradphil87 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I do hard labor....and lift 6 times a week. I literally do nothing else on work days. You have to make time if you really want it. Or else you'll eventually fall off anyway.