Back Fat

Options
Both my mom and myself have struggled with the general lower back area...you know those "love handles" or angel wings as we like to call them. It seems to me that this particular area on both of us is where we carry the majority of our excess body fat. (genetics at work I guess) So anyway I was wondering if anyone knew of any great moves that target the lower back. I know cardio is great for all over toning, however I'm thinking of some strength exercises...or just any tips would be great :happy:

Replies

• stevemcknight
    stevemcknight Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    This is the last bit to go on me as well. Sadly, you can not spot reduce fat. Tone all you want on the back (which is certainly a good thing :) lol) but it will still be under fat. I know that my back fat goes away when I get under 8% body fat, and if I get over 12% all of a sudden, there it is again!

Back fat sucks!
  • stroutman81
    stroutman81 Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Ditto Steve.
  • mford8009
    Options
    I like to get on my stomach on an exercise ball and do what i call backward crunches. If you put your feet up against a wall it will keep you steady. Put your hands behind your head and lift up and down on the ball. Like crunches just for your back!! Hope this helps!! I feel that is helps me!!
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    most strength moves that target your abs will improve your all around core as well. i think you are looking to target your obliques? i like to do plank. if you've never heard of plank, its basically just holding a push-up position and using your core muscles to keep your back straight. to target your sides, do what is called a 'side plank'. its kind of hard to explain in words, but you can always google it. also, you can do side crunches by laying on your side and lifting both your shoulders/head and legs in one motion.
  • annaleigh92
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I think I'll give the reverse crunches a shot...and I like the plank and side plank pose as well (I do them often as a part of my core work) And yes back fat is the bane of my existence!! :grumble: