Any lunch ideas? How about side dish ideas?

Options
I am stuck on what else to do for lunch and what to make for side when preparing dinner. I have side salads coming out of my ears and would like to try something new. I want to stay away from refined sugar as much as possible. Does anyone have any ideas for me? Thank you all!!

Dottie:smile:

Replies

• lt_mrcook
    lt_mrcook Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Veggies are always good. Potatoes with the skin. Brown rice. Sweet potato in the skin.
  • johnfischer74
    Options
    its almost that time of year when you could fire up the grill and grill come veggies....asparagus is great on the grill
  • mjif
    mjif Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm having whole wheat cous cous with hearts of palm and feta cheese today. Looking forward to it!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    For lunch, I've done: 1) 1/2 whole-wheat pita (75 cal.) filled with deli meat, fresh spinach, slivered almonds or pumpkin seeds, hummus, topped with 1 tbsp. low-fat salad dressing. 2) 1 whole-wheat pita topped with spaghetti sauce and cheese (you could also throw veggies on top but I didn't have any :P) 3) Banquet chicken patty cut up on top of frozen brown rice and frozen stir-fry veggies (this meal ended up being around 300 calories)

For side dishes, I love Uncle Ben's fast cook long grain and wild herb rice. Also, those Rice a Roni noodles or rice packets. As long as you follow the portions, you should be fine. :) Of course, always veggies! Broccoli is supposed to be one of the most nutritious veggies for you. Sweet potatoes can be cooked any way you'd like and they're super good for you... that's all I can think of. :) Hope that helps!
  • Dburroughs
    Options
    Whole meal rice and a tin of tuna goes down a treat,

a baked potato and tin of tuna or low fat cheese with half and advocado,

grilled chicken breast and two slices of brown bread, sliced red onion and sliced green pepper.

Smoked mackerel fillet on a bead of salad leaves four cherry tommies, and a drizzle of olive oil if you can spare it?
  • youngs
    youngs Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    How about cauliflower and melt a pc of fat free cheese over it...
    some onions green peppers muchrooms sauteed
    a bake potato split and then add just dab of butter cut up onion and stuff it in potato then wrap and bake..yum yum..
    Rice add some peas and corn to it..
    tomatos, onions, cucumbers sliced with a little bit of viniger over them or put Fat Free italian dressing over it..

Hope this give you some ideas, and the potatoe with the onion is very good..I suff my potatoe and then even lay some onion just around outside of potatoe and let them bake also...then when it is done you can add fat free or low fat cheese or sour cream if you would like..
  • biggshines
    biggshines Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    progesso light soup supplemented by a whole can of greenbeans very filling for under 200 cal enjoy
  • Aussant
    Aussant Posts: 1
    Options
    I love making an omelet.

1/4 cup egg beaters
    1/8 cup shredded cheese (melt first over spread out egg beaters)
    1/8 cup thawed chopped frozen spinach (warmed)
    1/8 cup diced tomatoes
    Salt and pepper

1 slice Italian bread, toasted
    1 tsp. Promise light margerine
    1 Tbsp. Smuckers half sugar strawberry jelly

1 cup (8 oz.) Tropicana 50 juice

All for under 300 Calories and I find this filling. Who says breakfast has to be just in the morning?
    My husband loves this too and he doesn't even watch what he eats.

Enjoy,
    Simone from, Massachusetts
  • jjohnson0882
    Options
    I'm having whole wheat cous cous with hearts of palm and feta cheese today. Looking forward to it!

What are hearts of palm?
  • Tracey2618
    Tracey2618 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Watercress soup is one of my favorites, and super easy. Heat a pan of store-bought or homemade broth with 2 potatoes until they are cooked, then add a bunch of watercress. Cook about 1 minute, then blend until creamy. I like it with veggie, chicken or beef broth. Sometimes I throw in a bit of spinach, too, or whatever spices sound good at the moment. If you can find Imagine Potato Leek soup (aseptic box in the natural isle) it's even easier- just blend in the watercress!
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks for all of the ideas everyone! I knew you guys would know ! Have a great day!