Packed lunch ideas

Options
PLEASE READ BEFORE REPLYING - I HAVE LIMITED RESOURCES!!

Hey guys.

Firstly, just want to say thanks for reading this, you're all really supportive!

I work in a pub, and therefore work different shifts on different days. It really messes up my eating habits and is partly the reason why I gained weight in the first place.

I'm really struggling with my meal to eat at work. I always eat my 'big' meal for the day at home, whether it's at lunch or dinner time doesn't make a difference, so I always intend to incorporate a healthier meal into my day.

Where I work, I have no access to a fridge/freezer to store food, nor do I have access to a microwave/oven to heat food.

Generally, I have been taking sandwiches with me (4 slices of medium sliced bread, light margarine/light mayo, filling ie cooked meat or pre-made sandwich filler from the shop). This doesn't really fill me up, and isn't a high amount of calories either.

I can't really afford to eat at work, and even if I could the menu really isn't going to help with my weight loss. The same applies to getting lunch out - I don't really want to be going to the supermarket 6 days a week to buy a pre-made salad.

Does anyone have any ideas as what I can take with me? It has to be okay to not be refrigerated and doesn't require heating.

I've been thinking about this a lot and other than resorting to pies and pasties, I'm totally at a loss. (or a gain, rather!)

HELP!

Thanks in advance, I'll just go over and switch my diary to public now so you guys can see.

I'm in the UK, so recipes/ideas have to be stuff that I can get hold of!

CJ

Replies

• Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    lunch box + reusable ice packs. I bring yogurt, string cheese, a salad, apples, almonds in mine pretty much everyday
  • ShelleyElise
    ShelleyElise Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Another vote for getting an insulated lunch bag/box and using reusable ice packs, or if you rather not, fill a water bottle half way, freeze, and then use that.

Chicken and pasta salad with lots of veg would be good (and filling), fruit, baby carrots, pickles, protein bars, and nuts.
  • a_crotty
    a_crotty Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Almost identical to the lunch plan I chose.
  • kellicci
    kellicci Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who say get a lunch box/bag and a little ice pack. That way you can have yogurt, salads and cheese sticks.

My norm when I don't want to bother with the microwave is greek yogurt with some granola or nuts, grapes, cheese stick, and maybe a sandwich. For snacks nuts a are a great choice or dried fruits. Also raw fruits veggies are okay for several hours with no fridge. A nice pasta salad as someone else mentioned is a great idea. Snacks, hard boiled eggs are a good high protein snack another good one is celery with peanut butter and there are always protein bars.
  • krickeyuu
    krickeyuu Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Can you get a thermos so you could take soup and/or pasta?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    I work in an office, and although I have access to a microwave and fridge, I can't be bothered and just picnic at room temperature.

I normally pack a big box of veg that's been microwaved at home (frozen mix, and some microwaved fresh snow peas or green beans or broccoli). I keep garlic salt and low cal dressing in my desk (also unrefrigerated). Sometimes I top the vegetables with black sesame seeds or smoked paprika powder. I also put some protein in the box: hard boiled eggs, crab sticks (only 16 calories each) or turkey based cold cuts or leftover meat from the night before. Besides the veg and protein box, which I eat at room temperature I'll bring a couple of pieces of fruit to snack on during the day. Usually an apple, banana and mandarin or kiwi. I eat low carb because I am diabetic.

My lunch habits might not pass a health and safety inspection. My husband has had bronchitis, so hasn't been making my lunches recently. Scroll back two weeks in my diary for examples during the week.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,701 Member
    Options
    You could also consider switching around lunch and breakfast. Keep a box of museli at work, and buy fresh milk or yoghurt to go with it daily. And bring a bunch of fruit and vegetable sticks for snacks. Actually I would just bring the yoghurt too, because it will keep a few hours outside of a fridge.
  • cathalmagu
    cathalmagu Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Can't believe I didn't think of the ice pack idea lol, thanks everyone who replied