Do you tell people you're losing weight?

Options
Another thread got me thinking about this.

Since you started eating better, working out, etc. have you told people? Or are you keeping it to yourself?

As for me, I haven't really told anyone. I've lost around 30 pounds so far, and only a couple of people have commented.
The few people who know that I'm losing weight, how much I've lost, etc. tell me that I look thinner every time they see me.
I think it's interesting and it makes me wonder if those people actually see a difference, or if they're just saying that to be encouraging/nice.

I think I prefer people not knowing though...

What about you?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Only if they ask. Over the past couple of weeks, I've had a number of people at work ask me, so I've told them. Otherwise, no.
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    At first, I never brought it up. I think I was afraid I would fail, and was embarassed to say anything. Then people starting mentioning it, and now I will sometimes bring it up.
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I didn't tell many people when I first started. It wasn't until I was about 40 lbs down that I actually began broaching the subject myself. Maybe I was just afraid that I wouldn't stick with it this time after all the other times I'd started without carrying through.
  • pbshorter
    Options
    This time I'm not telling. In the past I have told everyone. I would actually bend over backwards to make sure I worked it into every single conversation that I had. Every pound loss I made a big deal over, but in the end I ended up gaining those pounds and twenty of their friends back. So, my policy this time is I'm not saying a word. I'm just going to let the chips fall where they may and if someone mentions it to me say thank you and change the subject.
  • UhOhItsKylie
    UhOhItsKylie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I don't have a whole lot of weight to lose (6-10 lbs), so the initial reaction when people find out is a bunch of eye-rolling, unwanted advice and comments about how silly I'm being. So needless to say, no. Nobody but my husband knows.
  • rubberbiscuit
    Options
    I only told my husband and kids. I've lost almost 70 pounds and surprisingly few people have asked me if I'm losing weight. I have gotten a few, "What's different about you? Have you changed your hair?".
  • Oh2BeMaintaining
    Oh2BeMaintaining Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I have lost as much as 50 pounds before and people don't really notice. Sadly they don't notice when the weight goes on either. I was weighing in at my doctors office once and I weighed 200 pounds and the nurse checking me in kept going on and on about how I carry my weight so well, I look great, she would never have guessed blah, blah, blah. Maybe if she said Oh no that is way to heavy for someone who is 5'6" maybe I wouldn't have made it to 250! I will be 20 pounds lighter by Christmas and no one will notice.
  • randomgirlusa
    randomgirlusa Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    It's not something I bring up in conversation. No one has asked me yet and I don't go out of my way to tell people. I have a small circle of friends who are my support network, so I usually talk to them about it daily. If later on down the road someone notices and asks me, I will answer honestly. This weekend I had a major NSV and texted my boyfriend immediately to tell him I was wearing the jeans that I wore when we first met. He's been very supportive, so I've actually been excited about talking to him. It's the first time I've ever dated someone that I feel comfortable talking about this stuff.
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I don't talk about it. I think partly out of fear that I might fail.
  • animalcrackerz
    Options
    No. A lot of the people I have told criticized me and told me I'm already thin (just become I am thinner than them or they are just being kind I assume)
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    A few people know, like a couple family members, my husband and a couple friends. But I mostly keep it to myself. It's my business and I want to look how I want to look. There's no reason to tell people.
  • jwstew007
    Options
    I usually try not to say anything, but lately I find it just hard not to sort of mention it.. not that I bring it up but people look a 400lb guy weird if he's ordering a salad or orders the same smoked turkey sandwich everyday while coworkers order burgers and chilli fries.

... or in the case of someone trying to sell me a diet plan at the gym for 29.99.. because I may want to get "serious" about losing weight. (which happened last night)
  • Calantorntain
    Calantorntain Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    If people ask, I might say, but generally I say I'm trying to "live healthier" or "watch my sodium/cholesterol," or say that I'm trying to save money (by bicycling everywhere, bringing cheap yet healthy lunches) because my private college was expensive (in truth, my parents paid for most of it). I'm pretty early in my journey so I haven't had too many comments yet.

I don't want to make a big deal about it. I just want it to be a lifestyle change, rather than building it up as WEIGHTLOSS OMG. I also don't want people to have expectations; this is a personal quest, and I don't want to shrink away from achievement, because I feel pressure from others.
  • SheilaHoover
    Options
    I didn't at first...but since so many of my work and social commitments include food, which I now am declining or being very specific about ordering as the case may be, I am much more vocal about what I am doing. The more I share, the more support I get from those I share with. I don't go into details about HOW I am doing this weight loss (or what my targel loss is) unless people ask me directly and I know them well (strangers and acquaintances, y'all can have the "Twitter" version and no more!).

If I were "only" looking to lose 15-20 lbs, I don't know if I would approach it this way, but since I started at nearly 300 lbs and plan to lose the equivalent of another human (128-135 lbs), it makes sense to me to be open and take as much positive support as I can get! ("Only" means that I know losing 15-20 lbs is not easy! It's just less obvious than losing the weight I need to shed)
  • Tina2Cats
    Tina2Cats Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    My hubby knows, but is not supportive or optimistic that I will stick to my plan for long. :cry: He hasn't even noticed the 10lbs that I have already lost so far. Oh well. I haven't told others about my weight loss as they would be pessimistic as well. I have tried losing weight in the past and tried different diets and failed each time. So why should this time be any different? (their viewpoint)

Unless people were to ask, I would not likely tell them. I will keep on trying and doing what I am doing to get the results I want.:happy: I am glad for MFP and the support I am getting here.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    No. I'm a very private person so I don't say anything about my life in general anyway. If someone comments I may say 'watching what I eat' but I don't go into great details unless someone asks very specific questions and even then it will depend how well I know them.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    I still haven't told anyone. A couple of people noticed and asked at about 40 pounds lost. By now, everyone has noticed, and commented. About a month ago, one of my co-workers told me how good I was looking and that he noticed some time ago, but did not want to say anything because his wife has lost over 100# too and said that he thought it was rude to comment about a woman's weight. He asked me how I did it and we had quite a conversation about MFP. I think my raving convinced him.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I've told my parents because I share everything with them. Other than that, no.
  • Rhia55
    Rhia55 Posts: 247
    Options
    People know without me telling them.. they notice I eat differently than I used to and that I'm using the stairs at work and not the elevators.
  • BLCALONGE1
    Options
    I didn't at first but then people started asking me what I was doing? I told them and now I am helping my friends and thet are doing the same for me.