Efficient calorie *kitten* kicking workout?

Options
I spend most of my day sitting behind a desk in school and the only real exercise I can manage to fit in is my 3km walk there and 3km walk back!
Does anybody have any good suggestions as to what I can do to burn off some extra calories!?

Thank you!

Kirsty x

Replies

• Emmagarratt2010
    Options
    Jog/cycle there instead. Or before or after work do a workout dvd or go to the gym x
  • kobrie17
    kobrie17 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i'm in the same situation. I dont have time to get all sweaty at the gym then have to take a shower, and when I get home at 8 after running around since 8am i am not in the mood to workout. This semester I spaced my classes 1 break period in between each class. It makes for a longer day, but I walk around or even walk back to my room and make a healthy lunch instead of sitting for the entire day. So i get 2 more trips back and fourth to class. I also do some strength training during the breaks in my room, and on the weekends I go to the gym or do a video. Even going to the mall..if you spend the whole day...3hrs at a leisurely pace is like 600 calories! Its better than nothin...
  • Drip24
    Drip24 Posts: 1
    Options
    Get the insanity home video workout. Can burn 1000 calories in 30 minutes, and you do not have to go to the gym or need equipment for it.
  • firehiker
    firehiker Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I started jumping rope...15 minutes at first (as many short breaks as I needed)...then upped it to 30, then 45 minutes...same thing, that is...jump until I need to sip some water and walk around "getting my legs back"...then jump some more. Short goals seemed to work...like jump 100 times in a row, then put a hash mark on my marker board...then see how many "skips" I could do in my allotted time.
    I got off the "program" when the snow hit a few weeks ago...it's time to get back at it! No excuse when it's 70° out!
    Good luck!
  • abbie38
    abbie38 Posts: 128
    Options
    From what I understand, intervals are the way to go. Short burst of high impact, tempered by the longer, steadier burn. I hate the treadmill, but if I get on it, or even the bike, I try to do 30 seconds at a burn, then slow it down, then 30 seconds, then repeat.
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    Jog/cycle there instead. Or before or after work do a workout dvd or go to the gym x

I agree. If you can't manage any other time of the day, go early to class. Jog there. Take a washcloth and deodorant. Give yourself a little birdbath in the restroom and change clothes. You'll feel energized for class.
  • vhuber
    vhuber Posts: 8,779 Member
    Options
    Get the insanity home video workout. Can burn 1000 calories in 30 minutes, and you do not have to go to the gym or need equipment for it.
    Have you done this program?????
    I have and still am and have NEVER burned that many calories and I wear a Polar F11 heart rate monitor!!! Yes I agree this is the ABSOLUTE in a cardio workout but that many calories burned is quoting above the normal!!
  • marii92
    marii92 Posts: 77
    Options
    You can always buy a beachbody workout. I'm doing the Slim in 6 and P90, mostly 'cause I'm on my *kitten* all day studying, so these workouts are absolutely perfect.
    There's a whole load of varieties and you can choose whichever one suits you best. I think thye range from 10 minute workouts to more than an hour.
    If you don't want to buy 'em, you can always download them. :)

www.beachbody.com
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    I agree that Insanity is the real thing....never 1000 cals in 30 minutes. My HRM shows 400+ during the short workout and 650+ during the longer workouts. You still need to eat clean to get the maximum benefit. Good luck!
  • abutterflyemerges
    abutterflyemerges Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    How is that insanity working out for you? I thought about it but wondered if i can actually handle it. I see healthy men and woman doing it and saying how hard it is and I am very overweight and wondering if I will even be able to do it.
  • lina1131
    lina1131 Posts: 2,246 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I cannot imagine how someone can burn 1000 in 30 minutes?!?
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Insanity is very tough to do. I'm 55 years old and pretty fit. It kicks my butt, but it works great. It is a cardio-based program. Most people who need to lose a lot of weight or have not exercised in a while might want to do something that combines strength training and cardio, like Slim In Six, Power 90, or even P90X. I feel that if you are out of shape, you will become frustrated with the pace of Insanity because of it's intensity. Hope this helps!
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    Best thing for me with the Insanity videos is watching the "FIT" people on there fall out during the workout. Oddly enough it doesnt make me feel so bad when I I have to take some breaks and I am in excellent shape. Even the P90X Plyo video guilts ya into not quitting when you see the guy with the prosthetic leg doing the whoole workout! As with any video, do what you can, rest, get your heart rate down, keep watching and jump back in....keep doing them until you can complete the workouts no matter how bad it sucks at the time. Its no different than a weights workout, running, stirclimbing etc....do what you can, recover, go some more, pushing yourself more each and every time.