I found a super easy way to cut open spaghetti squash!

Options
If any of you are fans of spaghetti squash, you know how difficult it is to actually *get* the thing open. I'm honestly surprised that I haven't stabbed myself in the chest try to work a knife through one of those gourds.

But, this Halloween my sister bought a battery powered pumpkin carver. I took one look at it, glanced at the spaghetti squash sitting on the counter, and put two and two together.

What did I get? A potential suicide free way of opening spaghetti squash. The knife itself was pretty cheap, and it looks like this spin_prod_674760901?hei=600&wid=600&op_sharpen=1&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

To cut it open, you have to first make an incision with an actual knife, because the battery powered one isn't strong enough to pierce the skin. BUt then you just insert the battery powered knife into the cut and press the button. Its a bit awkward, but so much easier than cutting through a squash with a regular knife. She bought hers a K-Mart, but I have seen them at other places as well.

Just thought I'd share my findings, because accidentally stabbing yourself is not a good thing to do.

Replies

• wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I just cut off an end to make it sit flat on my cutting board then use a chef's knife to cut straight down. Never had an issue with slipping or anything feeling dangerous.
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I may or may not have spit my coffee on my laptop with "I'm honestly surprised that I haven't stabbed myself in the chest...". :)

Thanks for the tip. I'm going to run up to CVS and see if they have any of these suckers left on clearance! I won't even tell you what I do to get that mofo to bust open.
  • Lainee74
    Options
    I nuke it in the microwave for about 5 minutes and then let it cool off and it slices nicely. Time varies according to squash size.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I nuke it in the microwave for about 5 minutes and then let it cool off and it slices nicely. Time varies according to squash size.

This ^^ After cooking the skin and flesh are softer and cut easily. Unless you are saving the seeds for planting, it's not necessary to cut it before cooking.
  • TSivak
    TSivak Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Do any of you not have an electric knife? Not being a "B" , just surprised that none of you have one or use it instead of a cheap little Halloween knife. You can use it for hams or breads etc. and they only run about $20. Just an idea.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I just stab mine a couple times for vent holes and pop it in the oven whole for a half hour or so. It cuts open easy when it's already cooked. Just scoop out the seeds, and eat the rest. Easy.
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    This may be a slightly more difficult way to cut a squash...but I just stab the squash a few times with a knife and then stick it in the oven at 375-400 for an hour or so. Let it cool for a bit and then cut and gut. :bigsmile:
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I just stab mine a couple times for vent holes and pop it in the oven whole for a half hour or so. It cuts open easy when it's already cooked. Just scoop out the seeds, and eat the rest. Easy.
    This is the method I now use since I too 'nearly stabbed myself in the chest' from trying to cut the darn thing in half! Poke holes in it to vent, and bake at 350 for 1 hour and some, and it practically falls apart AND has a much more pasta like texture to me. :)
  • NaurielR
    NaurielR Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I've always cut it in half before microwaving it because I figured it would be easier to separate the seeds and pulp from the flesh that way. Cooking it in the oven takes too long for me. Does nuking it whole effect the seeds? Because a lot of times I'l save them for roasting.

And I would love to have an electric carving knife. Maybe I should invest in one. It would definitely make sawing through a spaghetti squash tons easier (even though that's the only thing i would really use it on, tbh).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've always cut it in half before microwaving it because I figured it would be easier to separate the seeds and pulp from the flesh that way. Cooking it in the oven takes too long for me. Does nuking it whole effect the seeds? Because a lot of times I'l save them for roasting.

Yes, the seeds will cook in the microwave if you don't scoop them out first. Probably best to remove them if you plan to roast them or plant them.
  • amandafranks32
    amandafranks32 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    How long do you cook it in the microwave? I just finished cooking one in the oven and it took about 45 minutes.
  • AMYJK7110
    AMYJK7110 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Becareful nuking them, they WILL explode, and blow the microwave door open and spew stringy squash bits everywhere and scare the crap out of you and your son, and then you'll laugh because of the mess and because you nearly had a heart attack from the 'boom', then you'll curse because you have to clean it up! LOL Even if you think you've pierced it enough first.
    And, duh, I never even thought to use my electric knife. :/
  • axialmeow
    axialmeow Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I almost killed myself getting one open yesterday
  • michelehaft
    michelehaft Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've asked the grocery store produce clerk to cut both spaghetti squash and butternut squash in half. Then they even wrap the halves separately. I love REALLY easy ways to get things done.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Bump! For this same reason!
    Thanks! I almost killed myself getting one open yesterday
  • aubeatle
    aubeatle Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You can also roast it whole. It's much easier to cut when it's been cooked, although it is a bit awkward getting it out of the oven.
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I always just punched a few holes in them, then put them in a baking dish with an inch of water and cut them when they're soft and cooled off.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...I recommend a whole lot of knife upgrades for this forum. High-quality, heavy, and very sharp. A lighter, duller blade is more likely to slip and cause injury than one that is big and sharp.

Also, once you get your good knives, make sure you have a steel (often called a "sharpening steel", but they don't actually sharpen), and you steel your knife before every use (or every other day if you use the knife regularly.

The reason you steel a knife is because a high quality blade will have an edge so thin that it will naturally roll back on itself slightly while it sits in your knife block. Running it on the steel will unroll that edge so that you are cutting on the true edge of the blade, otherwise you will end up folding the edge back further and dulling your knife faster. (same reason you see people running razor blades on leather strops before starting a shave)

With a quality, heavy, sharp, knife you will be able to just cut straight through any squash without slippage. Just make sure you look for ones that are forged, not stamped, because you're going to have more weight and quality to the knife. A forged knife will have a heel on it near the handle that not only protects your hand from the blade but is strong enough to punch holes in the lids of cans. And, if you take care of them, you'll be able to pass them down to your kids. My mom has knives that she got from her grandmother and plenty that are older than I am that are still as strong and sturdy as the day they were forged.

Trust me, it's a better investment than that little pumpkin saw thingy. :D
  • jpoblete77
    jpoblete77 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I think I'm going to put mine in the oven with the knife! Lol. I bought the biggest spaghetti squash and thought I'd cut it open myself, and the knife is stuck.