What are the healthiest granola bars or breakfast bars?

Options

Replies

• BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I looooove Quest bars. I was looking for something specifically gluten free while trying Atkin's one time, and stumbled across them. 17-20 grams of fiber, 20 odd grams of protein. Just don't expect the normal cake or cookie like texture of some bars. They are very different, very dense, almost nougaty? They take some serious chewing and a bottle of water.

Avoid the chocolate flavors. I love the coconut cashew, strawberry cheesecake, lemon cream pie, and the cinnamon roll heated in the microwave for a few seconds are to die for.
  • AyaKara
    AyaKara Posts: 220
    Options
    What I want is a bar that has no saturated fats, low-sodium, very fibrous, & is high in protein. Not one bar brand posted in this thread fulfills those requirements :frown:
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I know they are a bit junky but I'm in love with Luna bars. I also like Kind Plus bars. I get the dark chocolate one use it either pre or post workout or as a dessert.
  • ActiveYogi
    ActiveYogi Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Kashi chewy bars have about 5g sugar!!!

There's actually an app for the iphone called FOODUCATE, where you can scan packaged stuff and it gives it a grade based on how healthy it is then it recommends alternatives as well.
  • dunadan
    dunadan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    KIND bars aren't technically granola bars, but they are my favorite energy-type bar by far. I feel guilty eating them, they are so good. All natural ingredients, usually 4-6 per bar, gluten-free, and nothing you can't pronounce. :) My favorites are Nut Delight, Fruit and Nut Delight, and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate + Protein.

Bars typically run 180-210 calories, with 3-7g of protein.

Look for them in natural food stores (Whole Foods, etc.) or in the natural foods section of your local supermarket. You can also order them by the case at a discount from www.kindsnacks.com.

I don't work for the company, but after they came to my workplace and demoed their lineup, I became a convert. I typically have a bar in mid-afternoon to fend off the late-afternoon munchies and get me through to dinnertime without hitting the vending machine for something much less nutritious. :smile:
  • Priincess_Natalie
    Priincess_Natalie Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    KIND bars aren't technically granola bars, but they are my favorite energy-type bar by far. I feel guilty eating them, they are so good. All natural ingredients, usually 4-6 per bar, gluten-free, and nothing you can't pronounce. :) My favorites are Nut Delight, Fruit and Nut Delight, and Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate + Protein.

Bars typically run 180-210 calories, with 3-7g of protein.

Look for them in natural food stores (Whole Foods, etc.) or in the natural foods section of your local supermarket. You can also order them by the case at a discount from www.kindsnacks.com.

I don't work for the company, but after they came to my workplace and demoed their lineup, I became a convert. I typically have a bar in mid-afternoon to fend off the late-afternoon munchies and get me through to dinnertime without hitting the vending machine for something much less nutritious. :smile:

^^This^^ LOVE Kind bars. I find them next to the luna bars at my local Wal-Mart.
  • chocolateluvr80
    chocolateluvr80 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    The ones that you make yourself.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I kinda fell in love with "Fiber One - Chocolate & Oats". Good for a fast grab and munch.
    Two words - gas. chamber.

Lmao, that's why I stopped eating those):
  • Bess_74
    Options
    I kinda fell in love with "Fiber One - Chocolate & Oats". Good for a fast grab and munch.

^^ I love these!! I have them for a mid morning snack
    140 calories, but 9 grams of fiber & 2 grams of protein.
    They make a 90 calorie version that I haven't tried yet, not sure if it's just smaller or what
  • stljam
    stljam Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Luna Bars. Clif Bars. Kashi GoLean protein bars. Larabars.

The common ones - Nature's Valley, Nutrigrain, Special K - are amongst the worst at keeping you full. They're mostly just sugar and carb. The ones I listed have a significant amount of fiber & protein, & that'll keep you satiated for longer.

I wonder if you are only referencing the Special K snack bars which are terrible imho. Do you know that they make protein meal bars?

For example, the Special K Protein Meal Bar Chocolatey Chip is 170 calories, 4.5g fat, 26g carbs, 5g fiber, 10g protein, very filling and tastey. They also have a chocolate peanut butter version that is very good.

For the OP, as others have said, luna and cliff make some very good products. Kind has a lot of very, very good products (my favorite is the dark chocolate cherry cashew or the dark chocolate cinnamon pecan). I really also enjoy the Rickland Orchards greek yogurt bars. The Pure Cherry Cashew bar is good as well.
  • stljam
    Options

^^^ I think this is a common issue with these based on a couple of handfuls of people that I know that stopped eating them. I wonder if it has to do with soluable vs insoluable fiber.
  • luvsbks
    Options
    The best bars are the balance bars. They are 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    There are hardly any. You are better off with a zip lock bag of your own combination... I'm happy to help you.
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Read the ingredients. The Fiber one bars mentioned-the first 2 ingred. are chicory root(which causes gas. bloating and other intestinal issues for many) is #1 followed by sugar. Othe bars contain artifical flavors, coloring, corn syrup..... I try to find bars where the list is mostly grains, nuts and/or fruit and then the "filler".
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options

^^^ I think this is a common issue with these based on a couple of handfuls of people that I know that stopped eating them. I wonder if it has to do with soluable vs insoluable fiber.
    Read up on Chicory root, the first ingred. in these bars and you'll see why people steer clear of them.
  • sarahrbraun
    sarahrbraun Posts: 2,261 Member
    Options
    What I want is a bar that has no saturated fats, low-sodium, very fibrous, & is high in protein. Not one bar brand posted in this thread fulfills those requirements :frown:

your best bet would be to use this recipe smittenkitchen.com/blog/2010/02/thick-chewy-granola-bars/ and the recipe builder here on MFP and make your own.

My version has 350 calories, 3g fat, 3g fiber, 10g protein
  • jbaerbock
    jbaerbock Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I do the Nature Valley Apple Crisp bars dipped in all natural no sugar added apple sauce for a tasty treat. The apple crisp ones are the lowest calorie crisp bars NV makes. Another favorite is Kashi TLC bars especialy the Pumpkin Spice one.
  • 19audrey71
    Options
    Clif Builder Bars

20grams protein, same calories approx as a Luna Bar
  • stljam
    Options
    [Read up on Chicory root, the first ingred. in these bars and you'll see why people steer clear of them.

Hmm the luna fiber bars have inulin which can come from chicory. Certain things just got a lot more clear. Thanks for the heads up and helping me find the link.

Deciphering that code - don't eat too many of the luna fiber bars in too short of a time frame. ymmv lol
  • stljam
    Options
    Clif Builder Bars

20grams protein, same calories approx as a Luna Bar

You realize that the builder bar has 50% more calories than the luna bar, right? 180 calories for chocolate peppermint stick vs 270 calories for chocolate mint. More than doubl the protein of course but % wise it is a lot more.