Should I ???????????

Options
Should I get a personal trainer to help structure a workout plan for me? I am on a limited budget and can't afford to have the trainer for work out after work out but was thinking of getting one to help with doing a workout plan, maybe doing this once every other month. Would it be worth it? Right now I do cardio when I go in and then either go to physical therapy (which is in the same plaza) or I do some circuit training on my upper body as pt works my lower body.

Replies

• Casfarren
    Casfarren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    ok so I was once very similar to you in the fact that I thought a personal trainer would be way too expensive but let me tell you IT WAS WORTH IT! I signed for a 1 year contract (I would only recommend a 3 or 6 month though) and learned so much! A trainer will help you figure out what you need to be doing for strength training to build muscle that will eat away at your fat! if you make it clear to them at the beginning that you really just want to learn what you need to be doing so that you can do it on your own later, most trainers will help you put a plan together. if they try and give you crap for not wanting to stay with them MOVE ON TO A DIFFERENT TRAINER! find someone who will support your longterm goals...not their shortterm pocket book! like i said though, I learned so much from my trainer that I am now comfortable walking into the gym and building my own strength training program for the day!
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    my gym is a small one and only has one. My hope is that the trainer is nice and helpful as I don't have any other options for a trainer if I decide to pay for her (she is 64 and does marathons all the time, and is the owners cuz. and is certified. that is pretty much all I know about her)
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to hire one, hubby isn't too big on the idea though.
  • truddy6647
    truddy6647 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    I haven't talked to my husband about it yet. Still in the thought process of it. Plus he wouldn't mind as long as it isn't a weekly expense and I was thinking of more like once every other month if I did
  • MadgieDO
    MadgieDO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You might also look into what I call "group personal training." Many trainers offer like a couples rate or even 3 people where they charge slightly more than they would for 1 but you split the cost so it's less for each of you overall and it's a pretty similar thing. Or some gyms offer a class that's more poorly attended (like the 8 PM body pump class with just 6 ppl and you can get more personalized attention). There are even some trainers in my area that offer a bootcamp style class 3x a week or so that makes it a lot more affordable. Yes, you body is worth the investment, but there ways to get the same info for less $$. Or check groupon or with local gyms, sometimes you get a consultation as a perk for joining. Just a few thoughts. good luck!