Really confused...

Options
Didn't pay a whole lot of attention when I first set up my account, but was playing around today.
If I calculate my BMR, it shows 1259 calories/day.
Now, in my profile, I had NET calories of 1200 a day, and 4 30 minute sessions of exercise per week.
Based on that model, it said I would lose 0.8 lbs a week.
I changed the exercise to 0 sesssions per week, and it stayed the same.
I assum because the NET calories is calories eaten minus calories exercised - just as long as the end result is 1200 calories total per day.

But if my BMR is only 1259, and my net calories is 1200 - how am I going to lose 0.8 lbs a week???
It simply doesn't calculate...

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Didn't pay a whole lot of attention when I first set up my account, but was playing around today.
    Now, in my profile, I had NET calories of 1200 a day, and 4 30 minute sessions of exercise per week.
    I assum because the NET calories is calories eaten minus calories exercised - just as long as the end result is 1200 calories total per day.

But if my BMR is only 1259, and my net calories is 1200 - how am I going to lose 0.8 lbs a week???

There is a site restriction on 1200 calories and it will not go below it based on US standards. Also, don't get too tied in the numbers as a body will never follow projected numbers.
  • MadgieDO
    MadgieDO Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it's because of your daily activity level. I think BMR is your calorie use based on just you, being alive. But MFP takes into account activity levels so even with the lowest activity level you are still going to burn over your BMR. Like cooking, light housework, sitting upright, walking around etc.

Hope that helps!
  • kool_maverik
    Options

What you burn in a day is not BMR, but rather TDEE, which is BMR multiplied by a multiplier (the multiplier depends on how active you are as a person, so for sedentary it is 1.2, lightly active, it is 1.375, etc).
  • Rowan813
    Rowan813 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You burn way more than your BMR. You can calculate your TDEE to estimate your total daily energy expenditure. That number minus your net should be your deficit.
  • justmyalias
    justmyalias Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    got it - slow i am...
    I did select sedentary or lowest level for 'normal' activity, as I sit at a computer most of the day.
    tx!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    got it - slow i am...
    I did select sedentary or lowest level for 'normal' activity, as I sit at a computer most of the day.
    tx!

There are two options you can use. You can set your account to lightly active so you do not have to eat back exercise calories as it's factored in your TDEE or you can eat back your exercise calories.