Workouts: Biggest Loser vs. P90X

Options
I have a friend who got the P90X, spent a hundred dollars or so, and today it is sitting on his living room shelf, used only ONE TIME. I told him I would buy it from him, until at Christmas time, when I received the Biggest Loser Boot Camp as a gift (subtle hint from my family).... he he!

I really enjoy the Biggest Loser workout DVD's; the cost is SUPER cheap (around 10/dvd), and it is a challenging workout. There are a few annoyances, timing, sometimes Jillian; but overall for the price it is a NICE CHALLENGE.

I also found that NETFLIX has them on their roster. HOw great is that? You can get a workout dvd on NETFLIX, and keep it for as long as you want it, then return it when you are done!!!

I would like to hear your suggestions, comments, posts. I am a Biggest Loser workout fan, if I had the opportunity to buy P90X for 85 dollars, would you suggest it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Replies

• ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I try out most workouts from netflix before I buy one. I am currently doing Biggest Loser boot camp (on week 3) and love it. My husband had P90X and I tried them with him. I am not successful with workouts that take longer then 30 minutes to do them, its just too long for me. The results are great and the workout is intense but the workouts are so lengthy I want to punch the guy in the face because he starts to annoy me. I wont lie though, after I am done doing the 6 weeks with biggest loser I am going to start them back up for a change, maybe I should turn his audio off. Good luck to you.
  • tbear358
    tbear358 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Yes, p90X is a life-changing workout system. If you are truly committed to it (but it will take LOTS of dedication) then yes, thats a bargain. And Beachbody (the company who makes p90x) also has a free coach assigned to anyone who makes a purchase and you can get free online coaching and help. They have message boards dedicated to people who are doing each program so it would be really helpful to find the p90x board so you can keep in touch with folks who are doing the same thing. It really helps for motivational purposes.
  • Changes4Life
    Options
    I have a friend who got the P90X, spent a hundred dollars or so, and today it is sitting on his living room shelf, used only ONE TIME. I told him I would buy it from him, until at Christmas time, when I received the Biggest Loser Boot Camp as a gift (subtle hint from my family).... he he!

I really enjoy the Biggest Loser workout DVD's; the cost is SUPER cheap (around 10/dvd), and it is a challenging workout. There are a few annoyances, timing, sometimes Jillian; but overall for the price it is a NICE CHALLENGE.

I also found that NETFLIX has them on their roster. HOw great is that? You can get a workout dvd on NETFLIX, and keep it for as long as you want it, then return it when you are done!!!

I would like to hear your suggestions, comments, posts. I am a Biggest Loser workout fan, if I had the opportunity to buy P90X for 85 dollars, would you suggest it?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

I have over 100 lbs. to lose and I have BOTH the P90X and a lot of the Biggest Loser dvd's. Don't get me wrong I love the Biggest Loser dvd's but nothing can match the intensity and the results that are proven by the P90X. It not only helps you burn fat, but you tone and gain muscle at the same time. Biggest Loser isn't at the same level....like I said..it is good...but not as good as P90X. And the dvd's aren't as hard as they seem at first. Like I said...I am very overweight and am doing them...so it can be done....and you don't have to do the whole dvd if you don't want to. There are several dvds to pick from too. Just my opinion though! :happy:
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I give props to anyone who does use P90X because I've WATCHED my boyfrined do it once and holy moley it is I.N.T.E.N.S.E. I personally would never be able to stick to you.
  • kriskexplorer
    Options
    I would go with P90X. I'm currently on week 5 and it's working for me. There are a couple of things about P90X you should know to be successful. It requires an hour a day 6 days a week for the length of the program. You have to watch your diet follow the guide that comes with it otherwise your wasting your time. I am starting to see some changes now granted there small now but should be pretty good 7 or 8 weeks from now. Good Luck.
  • kelfeene
    kelfeene Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    WOW! I really apprecite the sound advice, personal experiences that you have shared! I am working on losing 12 more pounds, doing cardio and light weights. My goal is to polish those pounds off by March 31st.

THEN, I want to be really challenged to get this body lookin' BEACH ready! Which from the sounds of it, will be worth the 85 dollars to buy it from my friend!

(TO TBEAR or anyone else who wants to put their 99¢ in) .... If I were to buy the SET (P90X) used, I would assume the BEACHBODY motivational support system would not be available?
  • amberc1982
    amberc1982 Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I just ordered P90X last week and it came in last night. I wanted to start right away but I have to restock my fridge and everything with the correct foods for the program first. I will let you know what I think once I start it.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    You have to watch your diet follow the guide that comes with it otherwise your wasting your time.

What if I already have a successful diet? I feel I understand nutrition and my body's needs. What is your opinion on that ?
  • vdpal
    vdpal Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I started P90X Sunday. I am hurting today after last nights workout. It is good! I recommend it. I workout pretty regularly but I realize my body got so used to my routine at the gym and I needed something like this to get my body to respond. This is definitely getting my body to respond. I feel better already. I just tell myself it is only an hour of my day. That's not bad and the benefits last much longer. Eat right and commit just one hour a day!! ( I know I am only on day 3, but I plan to continue to push through for the 90 days. I am anxious and hopeful to get some good results!)
  • anglove
    anglove Posts: 1
    Options
    My husband bought P90X about a year ago. It's a 3 month program. It went through it twice. So, he then bought P90X Plus and is on his second 3 month round with it. He LOVES P90X and I LOVE seeing the results! I have also done some of the P90X, but am not as faithful to work out, but I really like the program. My daughter loves it to! It's definately worth the money, but you have to be disciplined enough to use it.
  • jsjaclark
    jsjaclark Posts: 303
    Options
    You have to watch your diet follow the guide that comes with it otherwise your wasting your time.

What if I already have a successful diet? I feel I understand nutrition and my body's needs. What is your opinion on that ?

My husband bought the P90X system (although we have yet to start because of his back issues), but I did read through the nutritional guide. They have 3 options for diet/nutrition - portions, set menus, (and I forgot the third one) In my opinion (and I am no expert), the portions one is a lot like what you get at MFP - tracking proteins, calories, fruits, veges. I think a lot of it is to make sure you get the right amount and proportion of the necessary foods to give you energy to do the program plus still lose weight/tone. I would think that if you are already on a successful dient, then don't change it. If, once you get going, you feel that you don't have the energy, then maybe look at changing.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I personally recommend P90X....I am on week 6 and I LOVE IT! It is a time commitment, but so worth it! I have already gotten good results, I am happy with it! I have not tried biggest loser so I can't say which is better! Maybe you could borrow your friends set and just try it the first week and see what you think about it!! You dont have to follow p90X diet completely, I do my own....I just kind of tweek'd theirs to fit my life, but same concept.....and it is working so far!
    Good luck to you!
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    I'm a big fan of P90X too, but I do admit, the first time I tried to do it I did quit after 2 weeks. At the time I was going back to school and it was hard to fit that time commitment into my work and school schedule. Now that I'm out though, I'm totally committed and am loving the results.

Good luck!
  • jamiejenkins1
    Options
    My husband bought P90X. It is an excellent workout if you have the right set up. We were using it in the garage but it got too cold. Plus, the concrete is tough on the knees. You need a basement and a pull up bar in addition to free weights, etc... I'm sad to say I didn't follow the diet so I didn't lose any weight. I did tone up though. The yoga dvd is awesome and I still use that one.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    GREAT FEEDBACK! Thanks for the personal experiences! Yall have me almost convinced!
  • waguchan
    waguchan Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of watching my husband do P90X! :love:

He currently stays at home and takes care of our 3 year old daughter. He does about 2 or 3 of those P90X DVDs each day and runs on our treadmill for 30-60 minutes each day.

Our 3 year old daughter does the workouts with him. Last night, she kept saying, "BooYah!" (not sure how to spell that). She loves doing plyometrics and push-ups. She also loves to sit on her dad's back while he does push-ups. He manages to crank out a number of push-ups with a 34 pounds child on his back. It's amazing (and in my opinion, pretty darn HOT! :tongue: )

I won't even try the Biggest Loser DVDs because I just plain cannot stand that Jillian Michaels. I'm not a fan of the show either. But I think you should do whatever workout you enjoy and gets you moving.

Personally, I'll stick with my TaeBo. My new favorite DVD is the 89 minute TaeBo Ultimate on weekends. My little girl only likes the end of the TaeBo workouts because she likes to hold my hand and jump in the air after Billy Blanks' little inspirational speech at the end of each video.
  • ericaquin
    ericaquin Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    You asked about needing to do the meal plan... My husband did not follow the meal plan but committed to the workout only and still had amazing results (lost almost 50lbs in 2 months) so if you are already successful like you said then its ok to just do the workouts.
  • kelfeene
    Options
    Thanks for the "nutrition" tips! It seems that everyone that has responded LOVES P90X...

I may just do it for the fact that it makes me look HOT while working out (responding to waguchan).. :) I will have my dates come over and watch me work out! :):):) ...

JAMIE JENKINS (IF YOU HAVE THE RIGHT SETUP)... what do you mean by this? How much space has to be designated? I am a city dweller! We live tight, small, and on top of each other! No extra basement for me!!
  • Karna6e
    Karna6e Posts: 57
    Options
    I'd say you need about a 6'x4' area. That should cover you for 95% of the exercises. You also need to choose whether you will get a pull-up bar or resistance bands. The pull-up bar goes in a doorway and the resistance bands need to be tethered to something secure.

The Kempo and Plyometrics DVD can take up the most room because you move around the most for those, but I'd say it's not an issue in most cases.