fitting in a work out with restricted time HELP...

Options
Hello looking for suggestions

.I want to try doing some kind off exercise or work out 5/7 days a week.

I have 2 children of my own and look after 5 other children starting from 7am till 6pm,

im managing to do 2 fitness classes on a monday night and 2 on a wednesday night, I was going out for a run at night but its just too dark and a bit unsafe.

Looking for suggestions on what exercise I could do (maybe in the house)

Replies

• snacker127
    snacker127 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    What do you do on the weekends? When my kids were little I ran to the gym the minute I woke up on the weeknds, so I wouldn't get distracted with their needs. It also gave me some "me" time. You can look up some videos on youtube. You can find almost any kind of workout, and almost any length video depending on what you have time for.
    Don't give up and stay flexible.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    What are you doing before 7 am, after you wake up, and after 6 pm?

When you are looking after the kids, can you not do some form of exercise ... burpees, jogging in place, cardio, etc. Every little bit counts. If you only have 10 minutes to spare, then do 10 minutes worth of exercises (pushups, burpees, etc.).

Utilize the kids in your exercise. Use them as weights for squats, shoulder press, or get them outside and chase them (cardio).
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    You don't need to workout 5-7 times a week. Switch one of those classes to heavy lifting on Mondays and Wednesdays then add anothervsession on the weekend, eat at a calorie deficit and you'll get great results.
  • sr_maggie
    sr_maggie Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I like to do Warrior X-ft workouts. They are simple, free workouts that you can do in your house. Some require a resistance band, but I was able to modify them slightly when I didn't have one of those. The site also gives you the option to do all 6 exercises, or you can do less than that (depending on the time you have). They show instructions for how to do the exercise as well, so you don't have to come up with exercises and figure out how to do them each time! This is a huge time-saver in my opinion. The workouts take me 20min when I do all 6 exercises.

http://www.warriorxfit.com/

oh, and did I mention it's free? :)
  • Casfarren
    Casfarren Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    pick one or two days a week to do some exercise with the kids! it is a great way to get them involved and interested in staying healthy. If some of them are too young, do it during the young one's nap times so that they can rest while you and the older kids get some exercise in! There are alot of videos and routines geared towards childrens fitness. If you get them involved, it will help keep you motivated cause they will start to look forward to it too!
  • Vinyarddog
    Options
    10 minute trainer by beachbody (Tony Horton) , the same company (and trainer) that did P90X
  • Lovestoscrapbook
    Lovestoscrapbook Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I like to do Warrior X-ft workouts. They are simple, free workouts that you can do in your house. Some require a resistance band, but I was able to modify them slightly when I didn't have one of those. The site also gives you the option to do all 6 exercises, or you can do less than that (depending on the time you have). They show instructions for how to do the exercise as well, so you don't have to come up with exercises and figure out how to do them each time! This is a huge time-saver in my opinion. The workouts take me 20min when I do all 6 exercises.

http://www.warriorxfit.com/

oh, and did I mention it's free? :)

Will have to check this out. Thank you for the information! I also search for "hotel" workouts on Youtube. These are workouts designed to be done in your hotel room for people who are travelling and may not have access or wish to use the hotel gym facilities. Similar to boot camp, it relies on lifting your body weight for exercise (pushups, plans, etc.)
  • teresa_c
    Options
    I don't know how old your kids are, but something that we have that is great exercise for my kids AND me is a mini trampoline which I got at a local grocery/one stop shop place here for about $35. The kids take turns jumping on it when they watch TV and when I can't get in a big walk for whatever reason, I jog (I don't jump on it) on it at night while I watch a show. It's a pretty good workout and easy to fit in. Plus, my kids can be watching with me so it's not like I have to be away from them or take over the TV for a workout DVD. It doesn't take up much room and you can easily put it away if there's little ones around.
  • shirleywhite3
    shirleywhite3 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do you have stairs in the house? Even better if there are multiple levels... up and down a few times at a quick pace gets the heart rate up. If you carry some extra weight (laundry baskets) it burns some extra; Try taking the stairs two at a time- if you are coordinated enough (I 'm not!); I put the music on and dance, dance, dance! Bet you can get all of the kids doing that with you if the music is up beat enough.