Difficulties exercising through ill health

Options
I can't really exercise much at the moment for health reasons. I was hoping to hear from others in this situation, how they managed to carry on losing weight and any gentle forms of exercise that they did. I have been told gentle walking and cycling as part of my problem is with my knee, but any other suggestions?

Replies

• kellybroadbent
    Options
    I have chronic health problems that can prevent me from exercising. A couple of suggestions for you. Is something really low impact like swimming, or pilates, an option? They have both helped me keep active during "down times". Yoga has been really helpful, too, though it's not necessarily as effective in terms of cardio, it helped me tone and lengthen muscle.

How long are you likely to be unable to do your normal exercises for?
  • C1aire80
    C1aire80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Well I did order a DVD called Tai chi for arthritis. I'm enjoying that but not got very far with it. I've also been doing a few Wii fit exercises but I can't do them for very long and have to skip stuff like the jogging.

I don't know how long I will be out of action for. Its been 4 months so far and the weight is piling back on!
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I have a bad knee too

These are the things I can do

Swim
    Row - Concept 2 I do 30 minutes most days
    Weight training (go easy on the quad curls) but I squat heavy
    Tread mill walk with a high elevation 10-12 - one with a bouncy track
  • MrsMellieB
    Options
    If your issues are joint related than swimming is great. It provides cardio and is very low impact.
  • C1aire80
    C1aire80 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Swimming sounds good but unfortunately I have labyrinthitis at the moment as well so can't do much because of the dizziness!
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have multiple chronic conditions, including some that limit mobility at times. On good days, I push myself and work my @$$ off. On bad days, I take it easier...maybe just a short walk. On really bad days, I use a SparkPeople 10-minute seated cardio video. Feel free to add me (anyone) if you ever want to chat about this.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Weight loss happens in the kitchen, fitness happens in the gym. Concentrate on your food intake and just do what you can for exercise.
  • gothicfires
    gothicfires Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    The first time I lost weight, I lost 30 pounds sitting on my butt. I didn't exercise at all. I just monitored my food. I did start walking after for the last 10 pounds because it was easier on my joints then.

Now walking is out of the question. So I'm monitoring my food and going to the pool at the ymca.

So it is possible to loose weight with out exercise. It will just be super slow.
  • hanniejong
    hanniejong Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Most exercises can also be done sitting down "Leslie Sansone" has walking exercises, 1 mile, 2 mile etc. they can all be done sitting down and get a good workout at the same time, hand held weights can be done sitting down, sitting in a recliner or such, you can move your legs in a bike riding motion or even get one of those machines that is just pedals touse while sittjing in a chair. So many options out there, but the ones I have mentioned I have done sitting down.
    Hope this helps.
  • SomeoneSomeplace
    SomeoneSomeplace Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I've been sick with Mono for weeks.

Haven't exercised in about a month, since I've been sick.

Doctor says in two weeks we can discuss the possibility of me getting on a stationary bike for 10-15 minutes 2-3 times a week and then in a month I can try to start running, starting one one mile at a time. As someone who was running between 5-10 miles 4 times a week it's been a big change for me.

Personally because I've been so sick and my body is in such a weakened state I've stopped dieting. I changed me MFP goals to zero work outs, and set my activity to sedentary. This put me at 1290 calories. But my Dr advised me this wasn't enough while sick with Mono so I switched to maintenance which for me i 1530 calories. So I'm not losing but I'm also not gaining.

It is possible to lose without exercise as long as you still have that calorie deficient. So just change your settings to what I described above and you should still continue to lose.
  • Dumbell_Diva
    Dumbell_Diva Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I had to give up exercise 5 months or so ago, I was so motivated and dedicated before and as soon as I stopped exercising the weight piled back on and I was so disheartened and found it very difficult to get that motivation and dedication back. I slipped into the wrong mindset. Prior to giving it up I was boxing twice a week for an hour a time, which was pretty intense and also doing lots of walking coupled with a workout dvd 3 times a week. I started feeling like I had vertigo, staggering about and losing balance and also slurring my speech. My blood pressure was pretty low and when I exercised it dipped really low and I felt faint alot. I also have arthritis and the sit ups and crunches I was doing hurt my neck. After a few months break I am just walking, nothing more. I did some swimming a few days ago which was lovely. I noticed that if I walk too fast I start to feel dizzy again so I have to take it as easy as I can. I have to say though I dont lose weight on diet alone, I really need to do alot of exercise to get my metabolism working, I wish I didnt sometimes!! I have a friend who lost 3 stone and she has ME and didnt do a single exercise, she lost weight really well but I cant lose it without boosting my metabolsim with a good burst of exercise! Good luck, take it easy!!