Running downhill question..

Options
The last 3 days I've been walking up a steep hill every moring and then I've either walked the whole way down or ran down. Walking up takes 30 minutes same as coming back down but running down takes me about 18 mins.

Does it burn less, the same or more calories to run down it than walking? My fitbit says I burn 102 calories less when I run down it but my face is bright red so I know it's giving me a good workout even though it's downhill.

Thoughts please?

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    a red face has nothing to do with whether a workout is hard or not...your blood pressure may be elevated giving you a red face

what you should do is run UP the hill and walk down it

running down a steep hill can be dangerous if you slip on something or whatever and running up a hill is great for the leg muscles
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    a red face has nothing to do with whether a workout is hard or not...your blood pressure may be elevated giving you a red face

what you should do is run UP the hill and walk down it

running down a steep hill can be dangerous if you slip on something or whatever and running up a hill is great for the leg muscles

I'm not up to running up it yet lol. Ok will look into my BP after it. I know it's perfect if I'm not running.
  • vzryder
    vzryder Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    That is a really good question, will be interested in replies................must be quite a hill !
  • DaveC29
    DaveC29 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Running downhill is hard on your leg muscles... It sounds easy, but your form is all out of whack! Your Quads get a lot of work and your legs take a pounding, mostly because you have to land on your heels to keep from accelerating too much.

I would suggest running up hill (even if it is the same pace as your walking)... Go through the motions of running at the same pace until you are comfortable speeding up. Your legs will love you for it!

Good luck!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Downhill running burns fewer calories and because of how you naturally alter your form to keep from losing your footing the impact is greatly increased making it bad for the knees and ankles.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Very glad for the information so far, thanks guys!

vzryder, it's almost a mountain but just a bit short of being allowed to be called one :)

Ok so I will NOT run down it anymore no matter how tempting it is to get to the bottom faster so I don't hurt myself. I think I may already have a shin splint but not sure and I'll definetely start trying to run up it. I was just happy to be able to walk up it without stopping for breath lol! 6 months ago the doctor wouldn't let me walk it at all due to high blood pressure back then so I'm doing ok so far.