Hurricane Sandy victims - Anyone else?

Options
I'm on day 8 with no heat or power to my house. It was 48 degrees there this morning. Thankfully, my father got power back about 30 hours ago, and we are all here taking advantage of it. Myself, my husband, our two kids, and my inlaws - Thank goodness my parents have a big house!

Looking at video and pictures of the places I have grown up, totally destroyed is hard to deal with. Sea Bright, totally gone. Asbury Park boardwalk has sections demolished. Seaside Heights boardwalk demolished (though to be honest, I never went there much). The aquarium at Jenks is destroyed. and they are having a very tough time keeping the animals alive right now with now power. Driving around, I've never seen so many trees down in my life. This is truly the worst natural disaster that has ever hit.

On top of it, the Nor'easter is coming tomorrow. Hoping it doesn't knock out my parents power, but if it does, at least they have a gas burning fireplace that we can operate on battery.

So who else is going through this? Share your story here.

Replies

• SnowWhite824
    Options
    Geeze... I'm the only one??
  • todd6977
    todd6977 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    im praying for all you guys up the coast please stay safe! anything you need just let me know
  • megannxx
    megannxx Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I'm in Southern Ontario and we only got bad winds and heavy rain. Glad to hear you and your family are safe, and found somewhere to keep warm!

Hope your power comes back on soon.
  • cassie_golden
    cassie_golden Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to your family and people you know.
  • NJSunshine13
    Options
    8 days without power here too. Finding it very hard to stay on track since I can't cook. It does force me to go to the gym everyday so I can shower. I feel like a squatter trying to find a place to sleep every night. My poor dogs are so confused. I was hoping to get power back tomorrow, but with the storm coming in, I'm guessing it won't be tomorrow either.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    The safety and well-being of all of my friends, former neighbors, and co-workers at the jersey shore has been on my mind throughout the entire ordeal and I cried every day watching that devastation on the news. I called NJ my home for half of my life. My heart goes out to everyone still suffering, but you are all survivors.. Stay strong!!! :flowerforyou:
  • escile6
    escile6 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have a few friends still without power.. I took in a few also, we were very lucky to have kept our power , I couldnt imagine losing it with a 2 yr old and 3 month old for more then 5 minutes.. Im sorry Sandy has brought you to frustration, and these long cold nights. Luckliy you have a place for now that will keep your family warm. Stay strong
  • tugboating
    Options
    CT here.. no power for 6 days and had 5 trees come down on the property.

Whereabouts are you? I hear there are still 116,000 ppl on Long Island without power.

It was really a horrible experience for the Tri-State area. Keep your chin up !!!
  • squigglypuff
    squigglypuff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Long Islander here ... 13 days without heat, hot water, power, proper food, proper exercise ... and I gained a pound for each of those days! Still not completely out of the "survival mode" mentality of eating like each meal's my last. Awful experience.

I hope everyone else is doing well. The cleanup here is slow moving. My family FINALLY got a rental car last weekend after two of our cars were totaled by the storm and one needed to be repaired.