Flat stomach as long as I don't eat?

Options
I've worked really hard over the last year and a half to reduce my bf%. I do p90x and insanity hybrid, make everything from scratch (never buy processed foods), limit carbs, and drink lots of water. I have abs (thank you p90x) and my stomach is flat as long as I don't eat. If I eat anything it pooches out to the point where people are going to start congratulating me on my upcoming arrival. Why is this and how can I fix it? I'm very frustrated because when I weighed more I didn't notice this problem. It's like you can actually see the food going into my stomach. I eat 6 small meals per day so it's not like I'm stuffiing my face or anything. Any advice/help/answers would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Your body will bloat a little after you eat.. It's natural. Also, you can't stop it but you can lower you body fat more. Just eat enough calories, and really focus on the weight training portion to lower body fat and maintain your lean muscle mass.
  • 30pdstogo
    30pdstogo Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    could it be glutten
  • mcjabber
    mcjabber Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    It might be what you're eating, not how much or how often. For me, any amount of gluten makes me look pregnant. Sometimes beans, sometimes dairy. (although sometimes it's worth it!! :laugh: ). And if it's helpful, google the Whole30 program. It basically takes out any bloat causing stuff for a month. My stomach was never flatter and I have never had more energy than when I was eating that way. But it's hard to eat so strictly... life is a balance.
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I had that and found out i was lactose intollerant
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Do a little bit of research on foods that can bloat you. There was an article in Oxygen magazine a while back that was great. One of the things I remember was sweet potatoes and gum. I wish I could remember more of it!
  • Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I sincerely doubt people are mistaking you for being pregnant if you eat anything. If it's truly that bad then maybe you have allergies or are intolerant of a particular food.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I've worked really hard over the last year and a half to reduce my bf%. I do p90x and insanity hybrid, make everything from scratch (never buy processed foods), limit carbs, and drink lots of water. I have abs (thank you p90x) and my stomach is flat as long as I don't eat. If I eat anything it pooches out to the point where people are going to start congratulating me on my upcoming arrival. Why is this and how can I fix it? I'm very frustrated because when I weighed more I didn't notice this problem. It's like you can actually see the food going into my stomach. I eat 6 small meals per day so it's not like I'm stuffiing my face or anything. Any advice/help/answers would be greatly appreciated :smile:

Yup I'm in the same boat. I'm under 12% body fat and bloat happens and when you are lean you can practically see the process happening. It's just part of living, but some foods cause it more than others. I'm not willing to give up wheat but I find that gluten makes me bloated, but so does drinking lots of water. The bloat is always gone for me in the morning. We are all different so you might have to experiment with foods to see what's causing it for you.

I only worry about it if I'm going to a pool party and will be in a bathing suit. For those occasions I drink lots and lots of water (well I already to that but I drink more for 3 days before), then I limit sodium and carbs (I still eat them but try to avoid gluten), and coffee natural diuretic. I drink a little less water the day of the pool party and for some reason a nice big ice cream cone (with the waffle cone!) seems to make me look good the next day. LOL I've done this on accident enough times that I know this pretty much works consistently for me now. We are going into winter so I don't have much to worry about now.

There are so many variables for the scale and bloat; water retention, digestion, hormones, allergies, sodium, carbs, water intake, DOMS, inflammation, the list goes on. People mistakenly think they lose or gain weight when they eat more or less because of these fluctuations.
  • skygoddess86
    skygoddess86 Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Bananas do this to me. Boom six months pregnant. I don't eat them any more. It must be some kind of food sensitivity in my case.
  • jenneal89
    Options
    Thanks guys. I'll look into the types of food that cause bloating and continue my exercise. It's a bit frustrating but if it's normal I can deal with it :)
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    stay away from dairy, gluten sorbital (artificial sweeteners).... and fruit.

Have more probitoics, chloyrophil, lean protein and yogurt with probitoics.

happy tummy
  • CouleeRunner
    CouleeRunner Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I sincerely doubt people are mistaking you for being pregnant if you eat anything. If it's truly that bad then maybe you have allergies or are intolerant of a particular food.

Why do you doubt this? I have the same problem - have since I was a kid.

I've measured my "food baby" before just for kicks and I can gain a good 3 inches from one normal meal.