BEST Cardio?

Options

Replies

• Dunkelheit666
    Dunkelheit666 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    all aspect of mma, but grappling makes you EXHAUSTED!

Is that boxing (sorry i'm confused at 'mma') if it is, i'm thinking of trying that. Would you go for kick boxing or normal?

i find jujitsu/wrestling more exhausting kick boxing/muay thai

Theres lots of womens juijitsu classes nowadays.
  • healthymission92
    Options
    all aspect of mma, but grappling makes you EXHAUSTED!

Is that boxing (sorry i'm confused at 'mma') if it is, i'm thinking of trying that. Would you go for kick boxing or normal?

i find jujitsu/wrestling more exhausting kick boxing/muay thai

Theres lots of womens juijitsu classes nowadays.

Thanks. I'll look into a class near me. It's something i've been wanting to try for a while
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Best cardio for weight loss? Table pushbacks. Nothing else is nearly as effective
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Whichever one you will actually do.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Swimming
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Zumba! Super fun and burns mad calories!

How many calories do you typically burn per hour, how do you measure the burn?
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,966 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily for weight loss because cardio doesn't make you lose weight, your diet does. But I would pick hiking. Because it's the most entertaining to me.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Best cardio for weight loss? Table pushbacks. Nothing else is nearly as effective

Combine that with a reverse fork curl and you are all set!
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Sprinting
    ^
  • neneboricua
    neneboricua Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Per minute, running is one of the most effective ways of burning calories. The problem is that not many people can do it long enough to burn huge amounts without becoming injured. Don't know of many non-professional athletes that can run for 2-3 hours regularly.

If you're looking for the most calories burned in the least amount of time, spinning and swimming are great choices.

If you just want to burn the most amount of calories in general, I've found cycling (outdoors on a road bike with hills and flats, not in a gym) burns more calories overall because you can do it longer without hurting yourself.

For example, on a 5 hour weekend ride, I routinely burn 2,000 to 3,000 calories and am still able to walk the next day. If someone were to try to run for even half that time they would probably injure themselves. During the work week, I'll do three 2 hour rides where I can burn between 600-900 calories depending on the type of riding I'm doing that day. Since cycling is low impact, your joints and muscles don't take a pounding and it is easier for your body to recover from the activity from one day to another.

Here are a couple of recent examples.
    Long weekend ride - 3500+ calories http://app.strava.com/activities/25605695
    2 hour weekday ride - ~900 calories http://app.strava.com/activities/26668697

These numbers are all using a heart rate monitor and at my current weight of 135lbs. Someone heavier putting out the same effort would burn more calories because they're carrying more weight.
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Cycling - good instead of bad for your knees.
    Swimming is a close second but not nearly as visually and mentally stimulating while working out.
  • yustick
    yustick Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Great answer.
  • haleighallen
    haleighallen Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    INSANITY (the workout)
    Hands. Down.
  • PhoenixRising7
    PhoenixRising7 Posts: 194 Member
    Options

^THIS.
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Whichever one your joints will tolerate and you will stick with.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    The elyptical machine. Or, just plain walking 30-60 minutes a day. The best cardio is the cardio that you don't hate so much that you won't do it.
  • TommiEgan
    TommiEgan Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Per minute, running is one of the most effective ways of burning calories. The problem is that not many people can do it long enough to burn huge amounts without becoming injured. Don't know of many non-professional athletes that can run for 2-3 hours regularly.

If you're looking for the most calories burned in the least amount of time, spinning and swimming are great choices.

If you just want to burn the most amount of calories in general, I've found cycling (outdoors on a road bike with hills and flats, not in a gym) burns more calories overall because you can do it longer without hurting yourself.

For example, on a 5 hour weekend ride, I routinely burn 2,000 to 3,000 calories and am still able to walk the next day. If someone were to try to run for even half that time they would probably injure themselves. During the work week, I'll do three 2 hour rides where I can burn between 600-900 calories depending on the type of riding I'm doing that day. Since cycling is low impact, your joints and muscles don't take a pounding and it is easier for your body to recover from the activity from one day to another.

These numbers are all using a heart rate monitor and at my current weight of 135lbs. Someone heavier putting out the same effort would burn more calories because they're carrying more weight.

Couldn't agree more. Cycling burns alot of calories and not only that, it can be enjoyed in many different ways. Mountain Biking, Road cycling, by yourself, in large groups you name it! Not to mention if you have kids, it is a great way to get some time with your kids whilst getting some exercise. Try commuting to work by cycling rather than driving and if you get hooked you may end up not driving at all and cycling everywhere! I know I have. :D
  • CentralCaliCycling
    CentralCaliCycling Posts: 453 Member
    Options

This...

Today's four hour and fifteen minute ride burned approximately 3,500 calories and I am hang around the 160 lb mark.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    I vote the elliptical. But I'm biased because I'm pretty much glued to that thing. Lmao.
  • angiechimpanzee
    angiechimpanzee Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily for weight loss because cardio doesn't make you lose weight, your diet does. But I would pick hiking. Because it's the most entertaining to me.
    Cardio can definitely aid tremendously in weight loss...