Hydration device

Options
So now that I have started running for longer distances in my training to do a 1/2 marathon I am seeing that I will need something on me to carry drinking water. I have used my hubby's camelbak but it is too bulky and one of the clips irritates my arm. I don't want to spend an arm an a leg but I do want to get something that will be comfortable to wear while training and then during my 1/2. What do you guys recommend and if you could share a link to it I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

Replies

• BehindBlueEyes988
    Options
    I use to see a lot of marathon runners buy these hydration belts when I use to work at a sporting goods store. Fill up each little bottle, which are all easily at hand while running!

trail-running-fuel-belt.jpg
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I use to see a lot of marathon runners buy these hydration belts when I use to work at a sporting goods store. Fill up each little bottle, which are all easily at hand while running!

I have that exact belt and I'm not a big fan. It used velcro and nylon straps, I can't quite find the right fit between no jostle and too tight. Then I tried the iFitness belt. It has a hard clasp and elastic straps. Bottles mount in the front but never get in the way and never move.
  • BehindBlueEyes988
    Options

I have that exact belt and I'm not a big fan. It used velcro and nylon straps, I can't quite find the right fit between no jostle and too tight. Then I tried the iFitness belt. It has a hard clasp and elastic straps. Bottles mount in the front but never get in the way and never move.

To be honest I just googled the belts, lol! I know the D-ick's (that got edited...guess I did work for a terrible company!) I worked at sold Camel-back ones, but I couldn't find them online so threw that up there
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I've been running with a single bottle holder for over 10 years. It straps tight against my lower back, and isn't even noticeable. I can carry bottles holding up to 28 ounces.

You may need to experiment with different options to find the one that's most comfortable to you. It does seem to be a "personal preference" sorta thing.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I use one that only has 2 bottles but usually during a race they'll have water stations so you really don't need to carry water except for training.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    don't laugh at me, but my favorite (and I've tried everything) is my kid's size Camelback.

some people also like the handheld ones (it straps to your hand so you don't have to actively hold it)
  • la_nanita
    la_nanita Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am thinking both for my training and during the race. I know that there will be water stations at the race but during training I can't knock on people's houses and ask for water. LOL
  • sophieclarev
    Options
    Also training for a half marathon and if I hydrate before I run I can go for at least 2 hours with no need to drink. In that 2 hours I run just over 11 miles. Just a thought.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I have the Camelbak Delaney Plus. At first I hated it. It took a long, long time to figure out how to get it to sit on my hips without shifting around (basically you have to wear it balls tight). It has a couple pockets good for carrying Gu and keys/ipod/cellphone/whatever, too.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/CAA140/

CAA140-SDV?wid=442&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0

EDIT: I'll add that if you watch sites like steepandcheap, these things pop up on there from time to time, usually around $20, which is a little more than half of what other sites ask for it...
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    I have the Camelbak Delaney Plus. At first I hated it. It took a long, long time to figure out how to get it to sit on my hips without shifting around (basically you have to wear it balls tight). It has a couple pockets good for carrying Gu and keys/ipod/cellphone/whatever, too.

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/CAA140/

CAA140-SDV?wid=442&hei=432&fmt=jpeg&qlt=75,0&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=1.1,1.0,5,0&iccEmbed=0

EDIT: I'll add that if you watch sites like steepandcheap, these things pop up on there from time to time, usually around $20, which is a little more than half of what other sites ask for it...

I have something like this and it works quite well.
  • rickerred12
    Options
    I personally don't carry water when running, I prepped for and ran a 1/2 marathon in Afghanistan it was 32deg C. Hydrate before and after while prepping, there will be water stations during the run.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Go to a running store and try on all of the different hydration belts, packs, and bottles and find the one you like best.

I prefer a two bottle Nathan hydration belt with a solid clip. My husband likes the FuelBelt with a velcro closure. One friend has a bottle with a nylon wrap and hand strap on it. And her husband goes without. (My two friends and I both have done multiple half marathons, my hubby just uses his for trail runs)

But it's all in how it feels on your body and what you'll be will to wear/carry/feel for 13.1 miles of running. So make sure to try on all the options before you decide.