Need help evaluating calorie goals

Options
So I read the "In Place of a Roadmap" and decided to reset my MFP to custom.
Went to Fat 2 Fit Radio and calculated body fat%, then BMR and TDEE based on "light activity" and came up with the following numbers:

BMR 2059
TDEE 2944 based on light activity levels

Wow......I have been eating way below this....

I lost 16ish pounds in the first two months on here and about 7% body fat, and I don't want to screw up my metabolism, but I stayed at 224 for a month then dropped to 222, then 219, now back up to 222 and seem to be holding there. for a couple weeks now (I know this is NOT a plateau). I am basically worried about stalling my metabolism by eating below my BMR.

A little background,....
I've been trying to find my BMR and TDEE by averaging my weight loss compared to calories, but I haven't been real consistent with my calories for long enough to do that.
I do 3 days a week resistance training (20 to 30 minutes) circuit style, metabolic resistance training, and I do HIIT one day a week for 20 minutes. I also DO NOT eat back my exercise calories, because frankly, I don't know how many calories Metabolic Resistance Training burns.

So, I need some opinions, do I continue eating around 2000 (which according to Fat2Fit is below my BMR), or do I start upping my calories and try to eat about 20% below me TDEE, which would be about 2355 and adjust from there?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Try it? I would try adding 150 calories this week and see how it goes. If you are still stuck, add some more next week. Or if you start losing, stay there for a bit and see how it goes for a bit longer. If your BMR is really 2059, certainly can't hurt to try 2150, particularly since you are exercising and not eating your calories back.

That said, might want to find another site or two to check your numbers first. I like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ but you can also try fitnessfrog.com or scoobysworkshop.com

Good luck, and let us know if it works!
  • Smokey19
    Smokey19 Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    I would make small incremental changes in your calorie intake, like 100 calories a day, to see what happens to your wt. loss. It probably is that you are not eating enough calories to make up the difference for all the exercise that you do a week. Everybody's body is different, so there is not one set number to give you. Also, make sure you are drinking plenty of water everyday.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I would up it to 2300 ish. Stay there for a month and see how you do.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I would up it to 2300 ish. Stay there for a month and see how you do.
    I was thinking around 2300. That puts me at a 20% deficit from TDEE. I am not really concerned if I show an initial gain or if I am a little over as I bust my *kitten* in the gym.
    The hard part for me is going to be staying close to that number every day. I had been making up calories on Saturday a little by eating more of what I wanted up to my (theoretical) maintenance. So I can continue that if need be.
  • cedarghost
    Options
    Try it? I would try adding 150 calories this week and see how it goes. If you are still stuck, add some more next week. Or if you start losing, stay there for a bit and see how it goes for a bit longer. If your BMR is really 2059, certainly can't hurt to try 2150, particularly since you are exercising and not eating your calories back.

That said, might want to find another site or two to check your numbers first. I like http://www.1percentedge.com/ifcalc/ but you can also try fitnessfrog.com or scoobysworkshop.com

Good luck, and let us know if it works!
    Good point to check a couple other sites. I didn't think of that. I did that and they are all fairly close. I know they are all estimates, so I guess I am going to go about 20% under TDEE for about a month and see what happens, then adjust.
  • donnakcraig
    donnakcraig Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    wow that seems like a lot of calories. we all have to do what feels right for us. my friends on here and i are eating much less.

I started july 27, at 1200 and didn't cheat or go over for two monthes. I dropped fast. i started to eat some of my exercise calories if i wanted them, even on day that i go over it is never over 2,000.

also it depends on how much you are wanting to loss. I started at 218 and I want to get to 178 by Thanksgiving. that will be my 40 lb mark and still way over my healthy weight.

If I need to I might increase my calories from 1200 up to 15 or 1600, but with so much more weight to loss i will only do this if i have to. i eat lots of greek yougart, veggie burger and fish. I eat cheese, nuts and some fruit and bread. i enjoy whipped peanut butter or cheese to use up my calories. also i just added whey protein powder.

i know this sounds low, but i do eat back my exercise calories if i need to. also when i started counting salt it helped.

friend me at donna craig if you like good luck
  • cedarghost
    Options
    wow that seems like a lot of calories. we all have to do what feels right for us. my friends on here and i are eating much less.
    I should have mentioned, I am 6'5 and currently 222 pounds. :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I should have mentioned, I am 6'5 and currently 222 pounds. :)

As well as a man. In all reality, 2300 calories isn't that much, I am short, weigh less and more body fat and I eat more (probably due to exercise). But I am 5'11, 194, 12% body fat and I eat 2600-2800 to be 20% less than TDEE.

Also, most women I design calorie plans for that are active eat 1700-2100.. And most men are 2400+