Zumba? anyone know what that is!! haha (fitness or dance)

Options
I tried putting zumba on my exercise list and no results were found. I made this same post in another category but no replies after like 60 minutes!!!! I wanna take a zumba class for college but its not on the exercise category.
1- what is zumba and is it exercise or dance or both?
2- is it hard 2 learn? is it only 4 dancers because I suck at dancing!
3- why is it not on here when I type it in? is it very new? or unpopular and does this help lose weight

Replies

• HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Zumba is tons of fun! It incorporates many different styles of dance, such as hiphop, slasa, and tango. It's not hard, but you have to pay close attention to the instructor. I don't know why it isn't in the database, but I just google "Zumba calorie counter" and there's some good websites that have calculators.
  • JulieHig
    JulieHig Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Zumba is dancing but it works as a great exercise, very fast paced, I bought the Zumba for the Wii and it is HARD, at least for me it is since I don't know how to dance. They have it at my gym and I hear a lot of people saying how fun it is but that it takes a good month to get the steps down, I haven't been brave enough to try it there yet.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    lovelyMYlovely Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Zumba is dancing but it works as a great exercise, very fast paced, I bought the Zumba for the Wii and it is HARD, at least for me it is since I don't know how to dance. They have it at my gym and I hear a lot of people saying how fun it is but that it takes a good month to get the steps down, I haven't been brave enough to try it there yet.
    haha ok!!! yes I do not know how to dance either! and especially in public... and especially when I am sober!!! haha!! they have a class in my college and I dont want to be embarrassed trying to keep up when everyone else is so fast paced and quick.. does this burn calories nicely? or make you sweat at all...?
  • danielleeliz_xo
    danielleeliz_xo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I do zumba on the days i don't feel like being on the treadmill. It usually makes me sweat depending on the instructor. If its an hour you will definitely burn some calories and its so fun! i love it
  • gerripho
    gerripho Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    Even if you think you can't dance, most everyone can Zumba. Check out this "how to" video to see how easy it really is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzm3jO_yQno
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I smashed 10 lb in a month doing Zumba. It burns crazy calories for me.
  • ScubaFidgit
    ScubaFidgit Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Zumba is alot of fun. You won't even notice the other people in the class everyone including yourself will be focused on the instructor. Give the class at least two tries the first try is your warm up the second try you'll be surprised at how well you've caught on and by the third class you will rock it. I use a HR watch during this class that calculates calories. I burn between 350 on a lazy day to nearly 550 on a work it day. If in doubt keep moving and have fun.
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    I smashed 10 lb in a month doing Zumba. It burns crazy calories for me.
    wow I will def join then!!!!! Its once a week and a hour long... cool
  • childofArtemis24
    Options
    It is both. I have been doing this for a year! It is awesome, we have 2 instructors and it is a little intimidating when you first start. But, don't give up, just keep going. You will learn the dances. On top of that you will be working out, dancing, loosing weight and it won't even feel like a workout.
  • NextChapter60
    NextChapter60 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, there was Jazzersize, Richard Simmons had everyone Sweatin' to the Oldies, and now it's Zumba. I love music and MUST have it during a workout, and I've enjoyed the Zumba classes I've taken - however, I have knee/hip issues, so I couldn't move as vigorously as the rest of the class, and my knee was swollen the next day. I noticed other "dancers" had their knees wrapped as well. I've danced in the past and have suede-soled dance shoes; twisting and turning in sneakers that gripped the floor was brutal.

After I lose some more weight I'll give it another try - it is GREAT fun and a good cardio workout.
  • Jennicia
    Jennicia Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    u can go to zumbacalories.com, enter your weight and how many minutes u worked out and it will spit out a approximate calorie burn. You then can make ur own excersise in mfp and manually enter it each time, this is what I do. i really do get the most calories burned doing this. its a combo dance/cardio, its fun and i love it!!
  • NiagaraCheryl
    NiagaraCheryl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I've watched a class do Zumba as I was waiting for my class to begin. I've decided I will do Zumba only if they have an open bar.
  • canelly
    canelly Posts: 731 Member
    Options
    I did it before and had a lot of fun! And some new moves for the club lmbo.. J/k
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    I've watched a class do Zumba as I was waiting for my class to begin. I've decided I will do Zumba only if they have an open bar.
    hahaur funny!!!!!
  • lovelyMYlovely
    Options
    u can go to zumbacalories.com, enter your weight and how many minutes u worked out and it will spit out a approximate calorie burn. You then can make ur own excersise in mfp and manually enter it each time, this is what I do. i really do get the most calories burned doing this. its a combo dance/cardio, its fun and i love it!!
    ok ill try.. haha I am embarrassed though
  • itali614
    itali614 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Go to the Zumba site and you can find a calculator. You imput your weight, height, and intensity level and it will tell you how many calories you burn. Each class depends upon the instructor. I have been to four different ones and each were different. My current one incorporates insanity into the routine along with the normal moves to Zumba. Zumba is dance. Several woman in my class went to another class held in our town for two years and lost no weight. However, they have been at this class less than a year and have lost several pounds. Good luck. Have fun!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    haha ok!!! yes I do not know how to dance either! and especially in public... and especially when I am sober!!! haha!! they have a class in my college and I dont want to be embarrassed trying to keep up when everyone else is so fast paced and quick.. does this burn calories nicely? or make you sweat at all...?
    Ohhhhhh Zumba makes you sweat. A LOT. It's hard, but the results are totally worth it, and it's fun, even if you don't know what you're doing :) And this is coming from a dance minor!
  • currierand
    currierand Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba! I do think you'll get a "better" workout by going to a class as opposed to the WII fit version, but at home is also a good place to start. I also think it has a lot to do with the instructor. Just like any dance class, it all comes down to how well they choreograph and queue the steps for you. As far as MFP is concerned, I've been logging it as "aerobics, general" since I was unaware there are sites out there to get a better read on how many calories burned. It really is a lot of fun and I would probably do it even if I wasn't trying to lose weight.
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I friggin LOVE zumba! It has really helped me drop weight and is helping move the weight I have around to the areas I want it. We have a GREAT instructor who just added weights to our routines..we are working arms now!
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I owe the majority of my weight loss to zumba!

How 'dancey' or it is (or isn't!) really depends on the instructor - as does the intensity of the class.

Don't worry about not being able to pick it up - practice makes perfect, and everyone's in the same boat at one point! As long as you're still moving your body, that's all that matters.