Runners: Gu or no Gu?

Options
What do you all think about Gu? I was just given a box, but I like to get some info before trying it out.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Only for really long runs, usually for a race. During training you want to teach your body to draw on it's own energy stores and use the Gu for extra fuel in a longer race. You would want to try them out before the race though in case your guts don't enjoy them!
  • juliec33
    juliec33 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Gu's good for a long run or a race. The way I understand it is that it contains pretty much all carbs which the body converts to glycogen. When your body runs out of glycogen it switches fuel sources - that's the "wall" that they talk about hitting. I use it on my long Sunday runs when I'm doing over 9 or 10 miles and I used it for the half that I did. It does seem to help me....but so would a half a bagel or a small serving of raisins. Gu is just convenient to use.

Do try it before the race just to see how your body reacts to it. I know some people that didn't try it and they paid the price on race day......
  • bfcano
    bfcano Posts: 19
    Options
    I love Gu's. Although there are a few different kinds the true GU brand is good but I also really enjoy the Clif shot block Gu's that just came out.
    Of the true Gu brand the orange & berry flavors are good. And I've also heard the vanilla is good but I haven't tried it personally.
    The Clip shot block Gu's use brown rice syrup which takes your body longer to burn so you don't need to choke down as much Gu during a long run.
    I usually have a sizable breakfast before my race and then take a Gu at 6 miles or 60 minutes depending on which comes first. So for a half marathon I would only use 2 GU's one at the 5 or 6 mile mark and another at the 11 or 12 mile mark.
    Obviously if you're going for a marathon you'd need more.
    Hope this helps
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    What do you all think about Gu? I was just given a box, but I like to get some info before trying it out.

I only like to use it near the end of a marathon race, I typically don't use it on training runs. I might if I was still ultra running. It's just too much sugar for me.
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Good for marathons+

Personally, I never use them for anything less than a marathon or marathon training. Halfs and 10Ks I'm fine with water or gatorade.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    I personally hate Gu, I prefer Clif Shot Bloks. But for the purpose, they are the same and I find them useful for long training runs and half marathons.

Make sure to try them out during training runs so you know how your body is going to react to taking it. Some of the different options can causing stomach issues - gas, cramping, etc. and you don't want to learn that on race day.

But, stop taking them at least three long runs prior to your race and learn to do the runs without them. Then they'll give you that extra boost you're looking for on race day rather than your body coming to rely on them to complete the run.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    As previously stated: try it on your longer training runs and see how your body reacts to it. They also have Chomps which are essentially chewable Gu. Everyone has a different preferance.

For example, I could do Clif as well but find it a lot sweeter than Gu; same thing for Honey Stinger. I find they use TOO MUCH sweetener though they have the 'natural' label which some people would prefer, so if I had a choice I'd go with GU - also use them for paddling as we have long, grueling practices, etc so they are a good multi-sport product if you don't want to use jUST for running (swim, bike...)
  • jekissa729
    Options
    I love GU! I'll use them after every 45 minutes or so of running.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Don't really need them for workouts shorter than an hour in length, and I'm not running an hour... I do like them for extended bike rides (again, more than an hour)--they're easy to store and easy to eat (drink? slurp?) without stopping/slowing/getting off the bike. My husband and I have been using the Shot Bloks for pre-workout fuel (half package/100 calories) for early morning runs/cycling/hockey games.
  • kitigonkukoo
    kitigonkukoo Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendations! I'll test it out for sure. I don't always react well to things with a lot of sugar (just get an upset stomach)... so I'll try it before one of my runs here at home.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    They are effective for their purpose, getting some quick sugar to the muscles during a very long race or workout.

I hate the taste and they are expensive, so I've just been using dried fruit strips instead (I don't mind slowing down to chew for a few yards). Some people eat candy like gummy bears; you can also use sports drinks or make a homemade sports drink. Some people find that solid food or the types of sugar in things like the fruit strips or candy makes them queasy during exercise and that gels like Gu sit better on their stomach; if that were the case for me, or if I really were concerned about shaving the seconds off my time, I'd spend the money on the gels. I feel that the electrolytes provided by the gels and sports drinks are so minimal that they don't count for much (i.e. not worth the price increase vs. a fruit strip); if I am needing electrolytes, I'll take an actual sodium/potassium tablet with my food and water.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    Gu is really, really disgusting.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I never use Gu. I prefer honey packets or raisins.
  • SophieSLP
    SophieSLP Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I used it around mile 9 of a half marathon. Honestly, I didn't notice any boost after taking it.
  • 007bondage
    007bondage Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    I do Gu, do u?

Seriously, I have a couple of gels tucked away in a camelback for emergecies on long trail runs, and some powder for drink bottles on rides +4 hours... I don't mind the taste, but don't use enough differant brands to make a comparrison.
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    I was reluctant to try Gu due to getting sick on a couple of runs from Power Gel, after trying it I loved it! I use Gu on long training runs of 10+ and long races. My favorite is peanut butter. I've also tried the Clif Shots gels too.
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    YUK!
    But if you try them out make sure it is long before race day so you can see how your body does with it.

I use an electrolyte/ carb/protein drink mix when I run longer than 9 miles. Otherwise, IMO, you don't really need it
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I haven't used Gu brand, but I used the clif shots during a 1/2 and liked them. I actually like Sports Beans made by Jelly Belly better. I can pop 3 of them after mile 3 or so. I cannot run and drink gatorade, so this works for me. Once Gu is opened, it isn't like you can reuse it like you can the beans.
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    i use gu chomps. but i only start to use them about 90 mins into a long run. i'll take 2 gu's and a glug of water every 30-45 mins on a long run. so for me my half mary time is about 2hrs 30, and i'll typically use 4 or 6 chomps during that time. the textures of gu's and gels sucks though. i'm stating to lean towards sports jelly beans because they're just less cack!