At a crossroads

Options
I'm a woman, 30 years old, 5'8" and 145 pounds.

I run, I play hockey, I work out with a trainer.

I had a physical in December, and all my test results came back to show I am in excellent health.

I wear a size 8.

People tell me every day that I look terrific.

I'm married to a husband who thinks I'm "hot".

My New Year's resolution was to stop focusing on my weight, stop "dieting" and instead to just eat sensibly and continue to work out, and gauge my maintenance by how my pants fit and a monthly weigh-in.

So why can't I do it? I have set and reset my calorie goals on this site five times in the past two months, alternating between "maintain" and "lose one pound per week". I have an angel on one shoulder telling me what a good job I've done, and a devil on the other telling me I'm giving up, that I could lose more if I just wanted it bad enough.

My weight hasn't changed since the beginning of the year, just my opinion of that weight. How do I make this transition without losing my mind?

Replies

• fatholly
    fatholly Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Be happy with who you are. I am only 1/2 inch taller than you and weight 40 lbs more. So count your blessings.
  • CareBearRN
    CareBearRN Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    oh my goodness, are you serious....5 8" and 140. Probably muscle too. You are right on..Don't give up just continue your healthy lifestyle...You are my inspiration. I am 5 7" and 190...My goal is 155...I was 140 when I graduated high school in 93'. I just started playing hockey and am having a blast...mental health means just as much as physical health. Give yourself a chance to be proud of your hard work and dedication to your health.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    wow, I agree, don't be so hard on yourself. your numbers sound great, and I'm not saying you shouldn't lose weight just take it slowly and have patience. I'm not sure what your goals are but it sounds like you don't have much to lose. and I have read countless times that the less you have to lose the harder it is. For example, someone who has 100 lbs to lose can expect to see the weight come off 5lbs at a time (weekly) while someone who only has 10lbs to lose may only experience a 1lb loss weekly at the most.

Have some patience and don't give up. I am in the same boat as you, have been playing around with my cals and haven't had the scale budge in 5 MONTHS! also if u have changed it 5x in two months that's a bit much. you can't really tell if something has worked unless you give it atleast 4 - 6 weeks. so be consistent for about that long and then decide if it works for you or not.
    Remember our bodies fluctuate monthly and trying a new diet or exercise routine won't immediately show, give it time.

BE PATIENT. :flowerforyou:

****also what workouts are you doing?

since you are looking at how your clothes fit, may I recommend Turbo Jam and the 30 Day Shred DVD's which focus on losing inches and defining your body.

Thought this may be helpful insight for you....

"(This is one I see all the time) If you are close (say within 25 lbs or so) of your goal weight, 2 lbs a week is probably unrealistic. The human body knows where it's equalibrium is, attempting to go below it is a difficult, and frustrating process, 2 lbs a week (what ever you may think) is a drastic strategy for someone near their goal and usually doesn't happen. As you approach your goals, slow down your attempt at loss, try for 1 lb a week or less, it will give your body time to adjust it's chemistry more gradually, keep you healthy, and lessen your frustration. "

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories